"wrapping" an aneurysm

10 weeks ago I had a 3-4 mm aneurysm clipped on the right posterior communicating artery. There was another aneurysm nearby that was too small to be clipped so the surgeon “wrapped” it. He also wrapped an infundibulum on the left side. The surgeon had said he wouldn’t know if the one on the left was a true aneurysm or an infundibulum until he got in there. It turned out to be an infundibulum. Has anyone had an aneurysm wrapped or knows someone who has? There’s not a lot of information out there about it. I know how it’s done and what material they use, but what is the long-term outlook? My surgeon is considered “one of the foremost experts in the world” so I am sure he knows what he is doing (!), but I am curious about it. I have not spoken to him since seeing him briefly in recovery when I was too drugged to say or remember anything. I had visits from the senior fellow on the surgical team (it’s a teaching hospital) and the nurse practitioner. I have been in touch with the NP via email about some minor complaints I had during the first weeks of my recovery, but that has been it. They want me to come back in a year which is great, I guess, though it seems strange that they wouldn’t want to see me or do a scan before then. I know I am lucky, and I am very grateful and thankful that I have had an incredibly good recovery from what was a pretty traumatic surgery. I tell people that I feel the same way I did the day before the surgery. And it’s true. I’m almost waiting for the other shoe to drop! (My only “complaints”: I still have some scabbing on a part of the incision which is surprising given the amount of time since the surgery, and I’ve noticed that my hair has thinned a bit, but I am hoping that that doesn’t continue. Maybe that topic is for another thread!)

Thanks for any input or helpful links!

Good Luck! I think the thinning hair is from the meds that you are likely on now. My hair was falling out like crazy for the three months after surgery. It started to slow down after that and stopped falling out after I transitioned to a baby aspirin.

As to the results of the surgery and the effectiveness of the wrapping, new treatments for BAs seem to be coming forward with increased frequency. Therefore, you may not find a lot of information on effectiveness. I think a lot of what we as patients have to do is place trust in the surgeons that treat us. This can be difficult because in our case, with a rupture, we didn’t research the doctors, we are rushed to an ER and the doctor most qualified at the time is assigned. Fortunately, I wouldn’t have had it any other way. I am alive - beating out the majority of ruptures. The incisions will heal. Be patient and thankful that is the only deficit.

1 Like

Thank you, BrianS! I should have mentioned that I didn’t have a rupture. I opted for corrective surgery because I couldn’t live with what I consider ticking time bombs in my head! I think my recovery has gone well because I didn’t have the added complication of a rupture. I am not on any meds, so maybe the thinning hair is from the angiogram they did along with the clipping? I know some people have mentioned that as a side effect. Thanks again for your reply.

Hi! I don’t have any up to date research to share with you but wanted to pass along that my grandma had an aneurysm wrapped in the early 1970s before clipping even became a procedure. She lived a few more decades before she died of cancer completely unrelated to her aneurysm. I’m sure things have improved drastically with wrapping since then in terms of materials they use. I know she had some restrictions so I would just make sure you’re clear on what you’re allowed to do safely. Well done on your surgery! I also had an unruptured aneursym clipped a year and a half ago.

1 Like

Hi,
I had my last aneurysm wrapped. My surgeon clipped the aneurysm and then wrapped the area. I’ve had 2 aneurysms in the ACoA on either end. So, after she clipped it she removed a part of my eyebrow bone and wrapped the area in case I had another aneurysm and/or if one grew and ruptured, the wrapping would contain the area. I did ask my surgeon why she went through my eyebrow to wrap the area and not through the way she did the clipping. She said, “I’d rather move bone than brain”. I adore my surgeon. On a side note…my surgeon just ran the NY marathon for BAF!! She also was hoping to be able to write all of her patients name on the shirt that she ran in. I haven’t heard yet how it went…should be getting an Enewsletter from UNC-CH hospital soon though. That’s how I found out about her running in the marathon.

I digress…I don’t know what the wrapping material is though. I’d love to know!! I’m assuming a spun type of nylon or something? A little help please!!
A year is the norm to have another angiogram or MRA. Your surgeon is positive now that your aneurysm is fixed and you’re OK and it’s just a precaution. They do an angio after the clipping to make sure…while you’re still asleep too.
Goodluck!! Ohhh, I had a scab too that wouldn’t give up!! This last go round. It stayed for a long time!! I remember it because after my 1st aneurysm clipping…I didn’t have any scabs like that.
And, you are one of the lucky ones. For those of us who have residule cognitive problems…please forget the other shoe dropping. Have fun!! Get back to your normal life and live!! I’m so glad everything went well for you!!
Take care!

1 Like

I think that thinning hair is likely from the angiogram. I have had a cerebral angiogram plus two coiling procedures…the last being at the end of Aug. Both coilings were 4 hr. procedures. The radiation used in these procedures causes hair to fall out. Mine has thinned considerably.

Here’s an article on hair loss. https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/features/hair-loss-hidden-causes#3

Thanks for the link. I think I fall into the “excessive shedding” category. I am hoping it reverses itself in time.

Yes, I think it could be from the angiogram. I had a diagnostic one in March and then another one during the clipping surgery in September. Moltroub’s link suggests that excessive shedding can be caused by surgery or anesthesia, so it’s hard to say what’s causing it exactly. I am hoping it slows down or even reverses itself!

Thank you, Kipkate, for your positive, encouraging outlook. It is appreciated!

Thank you, Elizabeth4, that is encouraging! I read something online that scared me about an increased risk of an ischemic stroke with wrapping (the wrapping eventually causes the artery to narrow). For goodness sake, I went through a craniotomy to decrease my risk of having a hemorrhagic stroke, so I don’t want to increase my risk for the other kind of stroke! But I am going to remain positive and wait out the year until my next scan!

1 Like

Hi there, I had a wrapping of a 2 mm aneurysm, because it was so small. That was 7 years ago, at age 50. It was performed by a reputable surgeon. And, he assured me it would be good for life. So far, so good! All the best!