Craniotomy in 5 days to clip MCA

Hi all

Having my second surgery on Tuesday 27 January to clip my left cerebral aneurysm which is 8mm but which also has a daughter aneurysm on the side of it. Due to the two together my surgeon said they can’t coil them as one would burst as they were coiling the other.

I’m obviously terrified as I was unconscious with my previous rupture so was totally unaware of anything until waking up after the op but I’m kinda scared this time as having to go in awake knowing what’s going to happen!

I do have a brilliant surgeon who makes me feel at ease and it really does help reading the success stories on here of people only a few weeks after their surgery who sound like their doing really well and have got their lives back, hopefully I will be one of them next month :slight_smile:

Also can anyone explain why in the UK they only clip aneurysms whereas in the states they wrap and clip?

Thanks & God bless x

Hi Susannah,

I believe the UK is more concerned with cost efficiencies. Clipping is permanent whereas coiling may require additional coils after a settlement period. I pray you will do well. Try your best to invert your anxieties and focus instead on the wonderful technologies that help make all of your surgery possible.

I look forward to hearing from you after your surgery. God Bless!

Ed

Thanks for your best wishes for my surgery Ed. I previously had Coiling but am having Clipping for my next op on Tuesday.

My question was that in the UK, when clipping they do not also wrap the aneurysm as they appear to routinely do in the states, here they just clip it with a titanium clip with no wrap. Why the difference, is it better to also do the wrapping as well?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Susannah. Im not aware of clipping then wrapping. With mine they use a clip only.

Susannah,

Wrapping is something I've heard about but I don't think it is routinely done. Clipping, coiling and gluing seem to be the primary procedures done here in the states although I'm hearing much less about gluing procedures these days.

Susannah said:

Thanks for your best wishes for my surgery Ed. I previously had Coiling but am having Clipping for my next op on Tuesday.

My question was that in the UK, when clipping they do not also wrap the aneurysm as they appear to routinely do in the states, here they just clip it with a titanium clip with no wrap. Why the difference, is it better to also do the wrapping as well?

Had successful clipping on 1/6/15, out of hospital 1/9/15, and back to full activity including driving, working, etc on 1/19/15. I am 65. The picture of me was taken on 1/13/15 while on a one mile walk. I agree there aren’t many success stories here. I have been trying to post because of that. But as time goes on I will probably visit the site less and less because it has been successful. Think positive!

Here is a good place to put your success story, Nancy:

http://www.bafsupport.org/group/s

I'm glad you are doing well. :)

Susannah,

After reading another thread here on BAF, are your referring a wrap as a stent? (technically similar but interior to the blood vessel).

Ed

Stents are not usually done with clipping - they are used with coils to ensure the coils do not slip back out of the annie.

Ed Dunlej said:

Susannah,

After reading another thread here on BAF, are your referring a wrap as a stent? (technically similar but interior to the blood vessel).

Ed

Susannah,
Hope you get some answers to your questions. My SAH multilobed was coiled here in the States. Six months later I had developed another aneurysm that was found behind the first and it was coiled. I go in on the 30th for another angiogram that will be about six months from the last. The way I deal with it, well, I like Pooh and Christopher Robbin, so I just believe “It is what it is”. Like you I have an awesome doctor. I have complete faith in her abilities. It is “fide iustificemur” or faith justified. After all, she was able to save my life from the beginning and the 26 days following in ICU. The second coiling was an overnight stay in ICU and back home the next day.

I love to laugh and joke around, it helps hold back the fears. I also confront my fears head on. We are not our fears or our aneurysms - we have survived, we have come back and we are all stronger for it. Do something that makes you feel good, a walk in the park, listening to your favorite music, read a really good book.

Best regards

Sussanah, I had a clipping in Apil 2011 for an aneurysm that was resting on my left optic nerve. No wrapping not even sure I ever heard of wrapping here in US

Susannah said:

I have one cerebral aneurysm that was coiled; a second was wrapped. My neurosurgeon explained that with the location of the second annie and it's shape, it could not be coiled or clipped. he drew a picture much like a o on top of a +, meaning the annie was at an intersection and was both above and below the intersection, surrounding it. He explained that wrapping it was like putting on a cast on it.

Wrapping apparently was/is common in abdominal aortic aneurysms (my dad had one wrapped many years ago), but not common in cerebral aneurysms.

I wish you the best...

Hi Donna,

I was aware of the AAA wrapping for the abdominal aneurysms but not for cerebral. I just did a quick search and it is usually used in combination with a clip but can be used alone. Seems the great news is that it is an innocuous material (Teflon) so complications should be no issue for you. God Bless and good health.

Ed