Wife in coma for 3 months

@ ritafay: Do you have more information on your friend that was in a coma for 6 months. The reason I ask is that this is the longest I have heard of someone being in a coma and coming out so well. Would he be willing to chat with me on this forum? My main questions are: Was he considered to be in a persistent vegetative state or a minimally conscious state? Before 6 months did he have any signs of response whatsoever? What were the first signs of recovery? From what I understand someone in my wife's condition (vegetative state from ruptured brain aneurysm) has a lot less chance of recovery then someone with TBI and I am getting very discouraged.

@ Dale: Why did they say your wife was not in a coma but was unconscious for the first 5 weeks? My understanding up until this point was that they are the same. P.S. I am glad to hear she is doing so well.

Rita, Please see post at bottom of this thread. I asked a few questions that would greatly help me.

The difference is my own interpretation; I didn't ask and the doctors didn't say. But she was responsive to stimulation so I figured that wasn't a coma. I could be wrong. THey bruised her shoulders so badly that they hurt for weeks afterwards, pinching so hard to get any response - just for Deb to flinch or reach her arms to make them stop but she didn't speak and only a time or two did she open her eyes for just a second or two. And I guess it wasn't for 5 weeks, it was from the start of week 2 to the end of week 5 so about 4 weeks ending but ending 5 weeks in.

A post was split to a new topic: Questions for those who have been in a coma