What is this? It is a different kind of depression

I am 4 months out of surgery from a SAH of my right side anterior communicating artery aneurysm. I had a clipping and have had little physical challenging symptoms, but the emotional part has been really hard! I am very familiar with depression as I have had periods of it. Am experiencing what seems like depression--but it feels very different! I'm missing that spark to initiate and motivate myself. I was an active walker and exercised frequently. It's hard to start back. I'm 56 years old and very career oriented. What is going on? It feels like some kind of neurological change. In about two weeks I have an appointment to see a psychiatrist and talk with him about it.

Megger...the circle of Willis ...

I have been suggesting to search online by name and anatomy and physiology...

i.e: circle of Willis anatomy and physiology

Or any other med word as you move along..

Moltroub posted under "Resources" below...The Brain Basics...a brochure on our brain by a Rehab facility in Florida... it is the basics... you may want to view there first...

Aside from that our central brain area and entry to brain from the spinal cord / brain stem, is not huge/large.

You note you had prior depression...and, now depression...

Depression (and emotions and more) are situated in that area...

I have posted a few small things and websites below the Brain Basics... noting the medial temporal lobe ( a portion of the temporal lobe) aka "limbic system" aka the "emotion brain" ...and aka "3rd eye"...

Have you asked any of your docs about your depression? Do you have a neurologist?

Prayers for your recovery...

I have suffered from depression since my aneurysm hemmorage,I have tried so many different meds. None have really helped. If I could change anything it would be this depression!! Good luck.

Have you tried Viibryd? It's a newer one that my daughter is now on. She tried so many for years that really never worked well and her new doctor put her on this and it is really helping. I was on Effexor for years (it was the one that most people with breast cancer were prescribed) and it worked well. I stopped taking it a little over a year ago and I am doing fine now. I know finding a med that works is sometimes difficult - I hope you both find some relief soon.

rjspatty said:

I have suffered from depression since my aneurysm hemmorage,I have tried so many different meds. None have really helped. If I could change anything it would be this depression!! Good luck.

I really appreciate the suggestions, feedback and support. Will continue with recommendations to do more reading and researching. Visit is set up to talk more with my psychiatrist about the depression that I now have. Also—just returned from a thorough exam by a neuro opthomologist for my intermittent double vision problems. Will have prisms put on eyeglasses and re-check in a few months. What a journey this has been!

so hope you will ask your psychiatrist / others about the specific areas of the brain- our limbic system...and, specifically ask which portions ...and, seratonin and melatonin...

also ask re: the prescriptions...and, length of use...and, if it is just covers the symptoms or helps healing and recovery...

Please share your next steps and your benefits from it all...

Prayers for your success...

Megger said:

I really appreciate the suggestions, feedback and support. Will continue with recommendations to do more reading and researching. Visit is set up to talk more with my psychiatrist about the depression that I now have. Also---just returned from a thorough exam by a neuro opthomologist for my intermittent double vision problems. Will have prisms put on eyeglasses and re-check in a few months. What a journey this has been!