What is it called?

I had procedure done for my giant aneurysm on 2nd Oct. They said they will sacrifice/block blood flow in artery of aneurysm. So it was done. They blow a balloon and put one Stent to block the blood supply. I want to know what this procedure is called so I can Google better to find more info for my regular bad headaches :frowning:

Could it be a Bypass?...

Nope, my husband think it’s balloon occusion :s I am not sure.

I have had very bad headaches following my clipping 6 years ago, and eventually went to the doctor for them. I was put on 10mg of cipralex for depression, and it helped a bit. After being on it for 1 year., I found my headaches getting worse, so I went back to the doctor. My original one had retired and the new one added 10mg of Nortryptiline for neurological headaches...I haven't had a headache since i strted that 2 weeks ago...and I HAVE had enough stress to give anyone a headache.

I am already on 20 mg Nortryptiline, doesn’t really help :s

Oh dear ..sorry to hear that Aisha

Yes I believe it is called balloon occlusion

Hi Aisha

I was offered 2 options for my aneurysm and one of them was balloon occlusion which was described as inflating a balloon in the artery to occlude it completely. This surgery would have been done endovascularly and I would have been woken up once the balloon was inflated for about 20 minutes to answer questions periodically and ensure the blood supply to the brain from the remaining 2 arteries was sufficient. I would then have been put back to sleep whilst they finished the operation. I chose to go with the other option which was a pipeline stent.

It sounds like you had balloon occlusion.

Headaches are a problem to me- my aneurysm was also giant (26mm). But they are improving- I had my surgery in October 2012. My headaches were bad for the first 6 months and then improved for a few months. I had another recent bad spell but again they have improved. It takes time Aisha to get better. I actually felt the surgery had made me ill having felt fairly well before it and I just couldn't (and still can't) understand why I was getting such awful headaches when I hadn't had my head cut open and my brain touched. I had only had something put into the artery! Anyway I now accept that I have had my head messed with and there is stuff going on in there that isn't quite as it should be so I also accept that I will have symptoms- headaches/migraine/tiredness/dizziness/memory problems and poor word recall and maybe these will all eventually just get better.

Take it slowly. Ask for help from a neurosurgeon with managing your headaches and just rest as much as you can.

Merry Christmas

Love Jennifer xx

Yes, balloon occlusion. It isn't a very common procedure and giant aneurysms themselves are pretty rare, so I'm not sure you'll find much info via google. I've had balloon occlusion for a giant aneurysm, but also had coils placed in the aneurysm so it couldn't back fill from the circle of Willis. As the aneurysm clots it enlarges and get inflammation around it which may be the cause of your pain if worse since the procedure. My balloons are pressing on my trigeminal nerve so I've had nerve pain too.

Did this eventually go away?

Thx,
Lisa

Judith said:

Yes, balloon occlusion. It isn’t a very common procedure and giant aneurysms themselves are pretty rare, so I’m not sure you’ll find much info via google. I’ve had balloon occlusion for a giant aneurysm, but also had coils placed in the aneurysm so it couldn’t back fill from the circle of Willis. As the aneurysm clots it enlarges and get inflammation around it which may be the cause of your pain if worse since the procedure. My balloons are pressing on my trigeminal nerve so I’ve had nerve pain too.