What helped you during your recovery?

I would love to know if there was anything that helped you during recovery either in the hospital or once you got home. I already bought a new pillow and extra pillow cases to try to prevent risk of infection. It could be anything-ice cream, a quiet and dark room, easy to chew foods, or whatever.

Terri-

Yes, everything you mentioned has helped during my recovery after clipping. Quiet is hard to find with little one's around, so please have as much help available as you can! I found it VERY hard to chew for about a week. Now I don't have issues chewing, but I can't open my mouth even wide enough to eat a banana!

Oh, and have a stool softener on hand for when you get home. I wasn't even taking narcotics but was having MAJOR issues with constipation- probably because I wasn't as active as I usually am and also because the brain controls EVERYTHING.

I'd say the things that have helped me the most aren't things- but people. Try to be easy on yourself and remember this is brain surgery. For some reason I thought it would be almost easy because I'm in good shape and I"m young. I was very disappointed when I started having such emotional up's and down's and such EXTREME fatigue (because I was trying to do way too much on my own). Just know that this too shall pass and God must have an amazing plan to have allowed you to go through this.

Big hugs if you want them-

Cordie

Hey Terri!

Long hot baths (...and ice cream....)!!

Terri....

Depending on where the surgery is...may help determine the pillow size / shape...?

Even w/coiling...I got a "neck" pillow at Relax-a-Back...which is far more comfortable for me than the big fluffy ones, or those or the full firm pillows w/the neck section...

Also, ask others and the doc about having a pillow under your knees when you sleep...etc??? Your body alignment can/may vary by the position you are in during the procedure???...

Prayers for your procedure and your recovery...

Pat ...

Hi Terri,

Besides playing the piano daily to try and get both fine motor better tuned again along with "exercising my frontal lobes" I used this gel filled eye mask I had been given while in the neuro ICU. You just keep in in the fridge in a little container of water. Whenever I would get THE HEADACHE I would lay with that on my eyes for 20 minutes or so. It seems to provide some degree of relief, and I felt a little pampered to be honest with is always a nice feeling. Other than that I allowed friends to come visit and help out around the house. It is not always easy letting people help you when you are use to being the one that helps out others. Best wishes to you! Sandy B.

For me, the fluids drained down my spine and pooled in my tail bone so it was painful to stand up, walk or even be in a car riding on bumpy roads. A heating pad helped immensely!

I had a super soft blanket that helped me and my travel pillow to help my head as my surgery was on my favorite side that sleep on. Its been almost a year now and I use them every night. I also as hard as it was, its getting easier, I read every day and play on lumosity to work my brain as the commercials say :) I also do my excersises they had me doing in rehab every morning. MY chewing is still not up to par and my jaw hurts some days more than other, I just have to remember not to eat hard items or chew gum :( And yes Ice cream does help! :) Hope this helps.

Kory...

Another similar to lumosity is PositScience...

Have the doctors/rehab talked of any potential help from a mouth guard?

Wishing you your continued recovery...

Pat

Thanks Pat, I am going to try that site :)

They never mentioned the mouth guard as it started hurting way after. It hurts where they had to cut my jaw muscles near my temple location. So I guess Its my muscles rather than my jaw itself. They told me it will take a very long time to heal :(

Kory,

Ask them a bout a nightguard...while sleeping you likely cannot control your muscles...

Now, my curiosity...is it worse for you when you awaken, first get up?

My dry mouth issue is terrible when first awaken / get up...in several hours...it is reasonable...tho not normal... mine is from the minimally invasive coils/stents....

Prayers you can ask your docs if a night guard can/may help...

Pat

Ooo, yeah its not much fun when they've cut thru your temporal muscles..(my 1st clipping they had to do the same thing- The Surgeon didn't bother to mention it to me though, and all I remember is yogurt and more yogurt -- it took a good 6 months i'd say before it didn't bother me much) When was your surgery Kory?

Kory,

I can only imagine it takes a long time to heal...so hope you can call their office and ask to be sure a night guard will not put on too much pressure or some such...

My personal opinion is that it will not...but best / right if you call your doc...

Please let us know...

Pat