Week 4 after clipping

Hi Jeanne,

Our stories are very similar. I sought medical help because I experienced some vision loss, which I thought was an eye problem. I was admitted for observation into the hospital in July, 2014. I was there three days. They did all kinds of tests on me and on an MRI found a 6 mm (now 7 mm) aneurysm. My vision cut right out diagonally in one eye and then came back. They found an aneurysm on the opposite side of my head. (not on the side with the vision problem).

Finding thus meant that another badly needed surgery, scheduled to be just days away, had to be put off six months. (I have Moderate to severe Spinal Stenosis and a herniated disk in my neck). Then my local neurologist suddenly quit his job and I had no one for my neck problem. The neck problem is still waiting.I have a primary care physician who does not want to medicate for pain. For some reason, he thought I could just assume that the aneurysm was stable and just get the neck surgery done.

I was told to a register at hospital in Boston, which is well known . It took them until the end of October, 2014 to see me. I was supposed to to meet with a Pediatric Neurosurgeon and an Interventionalist. The Neurosurgeon said that he didn't want to do surgery. The interventionalist never showed up. In his place was someone else from Radiology (quite young and silly) and an Nurse Practitioner. Coiling or waiting was suggested. I was not favorably impressed.

I then I made an appointment to see a Neurosurgeon at a hospital in a Boston suburb. It was entirely different. I expected to hear Coiling, but, much to my surprise, was offered Surgery. He had a MRA with Contrast done which showed that my aneurysm was now 7 mm because it was weakening, producing a "daughter" and was leaning toward the membrane which they do before rupturing. He said it is easy to get at. It means this will be done and over with. I won't be comfortable after I have it done, because my head will feel very heavy and I will want to keep taking naps. This, he says, is because my brain will have been disturbed.Then he went on to discuss risks.

So, this is no longer a completely stable aneurysm. Not that it will rupture real soon, but better to take care of it sooner, rather than later.

I have a history of high blood pressure, but have been on meds for years. My last BP reading was 118/68. I have had a history of migraines, but not that was years ago. I was pretty sick with them.One of my medications that I have been using for years is Verapamil. I'm wondering if you experienced was actually Vasospasm, because I was told that they often use Verapamil to treat it.

I was supposed to get this clipping done last week (01/14/2015) but developed an upper respiratory infection with a lot of post nasal problems and asthmatic coughing in December. I've had two rounds of antibiotics, and am now on prednisone until Sunday. They this will work, and surgery can be done on 01/21/2015.

The area where they will go in (over and in back of ear) to get at it..It is "near the distal ICA at the origin of the MI segment and the right posterior communicating artery." There it sits waiting for my neurosurgeon to clip this nuisance into non existence!

My hair probably will fall out. I've lost some before when I lost hormones, when I went through a house fire, etc. Why not now. Maybe I'll need a wig.

Curiosity questions....Does the plate in your head get really cold in the Winter? Colder than your skull? How did they get those staples out? It looks pretty scary and I know they are in a sensitive area.

Two comments. Thank you for writing and answering. I believe the only real peace with these is to turn these things completely over to Him, and not take it back. Being in a support group also is a great help. This is which is really beyond one's self to deal with. No matter how strong that person is.

Hi Carol. Sure does sound like you are going through a lot of different conditions and YES we have quite a bit similar. You didn't mention your age and that has a lot to do with recovery. Also having a supportive family/friends helps. Also living a 'normal' life does help. By normal I mean just the usual problems we all go through with kids/family, etc, some good, some bad. However in some lives there are more traumatic events that can happen and happen often. Not the normal ones. If one doesn't have any of the normal good life then it can make for a lot of anxiety and depression.

In answer to your question, I don't feel any temperature, hot or cold with my 2 plates. However on my eyebrow one of the screws is protruding and if I accidently hit it with my hair brush or rub to hard when I wash my face I see stars. I have not been able to sleep on my left side since the operation. I still have mild skull pain and severe when the screw area takes a hit. For example: Hanging clothes outside on a clothes line the clothespin snapped off and hit me right there on the screw. I suspect the skull bone/plate and screws are right behind my eyeball also due to not being able to rub my eye normally when it itches from allergies.

I do have a large indent there where the skull was removed and placed back in. Post-op there was a lot of swelling and I looked normal but once the swelling went away a few indents in that area shown up. I think this is why there is pain in that area because Humpty Dumpty was not put back together right.

As of now I have an appointment with my neurologist and last year after my aneurysm MRI they found out that I have cervical stenosis. I also have a neck and 2 lower back herniated discs compounded with scoliosis so I'm not sure how they will try to fix the cervical area. I've been told if the narrowing closes up completely then its 'good bye' forever being air supply to the head/brain will be cut off, so I will have no choice but to try to get it fixed. I still have light and noise sensitivity among other stuff but I deal with it. From reading peoples post here there are many members that have more than 1 aneurysm, some more than 5 so I am lucky but I do fear that if 1 can happen then there is a chance more can grow. I deal with things as they happen but unless I am in need of medical attention I stlll keep my mouth shut and do not complain over the little stuff. The cervical stenosis has me a bit concerned because I have been having some severe neck pain and wear a cervical collar now around the house and it does help eliminate normal movements.

I am assuming you live in the Boston area. I live in NYS and once obamacare took over our health plan changed and I no longer can use my neurosurgeon. In 2011 he was the only one that I was told did clippings. Most today do the coiling and I am not a candidate for that.

When you have the skull opened/removed and placed back in you may experience and see a pulsating in that area. I did, but after a month or so when the skull healed (?) it stopped. Kind of reminded of the top of a newborn baby's head.

One thing I am confused about is do I have an aneurysrm or not? I feel I still have one but its a clipped one. The clip only keeps the blood from settling in that area and making the ani bigger. I could be wrong but just not sure.

I also have high BP & cholesterol. My neurologist explained that the verapamil keeps my blood pumping slower from my heart to the head area and prior to verapamil there was too much blood pressure in the head area.

I did not know about this group before I had my surgery but I find it very helpful now in learning about other peoples experiences.

I'm not on the computer too much being I am taking care of a sick dog (my baby). She is 14+ yrs. I have 3 rescues and I just pray I am around to see them through their lives.

I do try to check in and if I see someone going through what I already have I try to be of help. Keep us posted and stay calm. You will be fine. Jeanne

I was told that people my age are offered clipping of their aneurysms. They prefer to coil. I am 72, but look younger. I think the reason why I was offered the clipping, is because the coiling would not have been as effective as clipping it. I sort of have one growing off the other one But it counts as one aneurysm. When they clip, it cuts off the aneurysm and it eventually dissolves from lack of blood supply.Sometimes they have to go back and recoil.

I have heard that some doctors clip the blood supply from the blood supply and then somehow also snip the aneurysm, as well.

I am getting frustrated because I already had to postpone surgery once due to heavy post nasal drip with an asthmatic cough. I've had antibiotics and was told that putting me on five days of Prednisone would be an easy fix. As I cut back each day, the cough and post nasal drip are increasing. Not only that, there are also others in the house coughing and getting stuffed up and/or sneezing. It doesn't look like I'm going to get this taken care of this week, either, if this coughing keeps on.

Jeanne said:

Hi Carol. Sure does sound like you are going through a lot of different conditions and YES we have quite a bit similar. You didn't mention your age and that has a lot to do with recovery. Also having a supportive family/friends helps. Also living a 'normal' life does help. By normal I mean just the usual problems we all go through with kids/family, etc, some good, some bad. However in some lives there are more traumatic events that can happen and happen often. Not the normal ones. If one doesn't have any of the normal good life then it can make for a lot of anxiety and depression.

In answer to your question, I don't feel any temperature, hot or cold with my 2 plates. However on my eyebrow one of the screws is protruding and if I accidently hit it with my hair brush or rub to hard when I wash my face I see stars. I have not been able to sleep on my left side since the operation. I still have mild skull pain and severe when the screw area takes a hit. For example: Hanging clothes outside on a clothes line the clothespin snapped off and hit me right there on the screw. I suspect the skull bone/plate and screws are right behind my eyeball also due to not being able to rub my eye normally when it itches from allergies.

I do have a large indent there where the skull was removed and placed back in. Post-op there was a lot of swelling and I looked normal but once the swelling went away a few indents in that area shown up. I think this is why there is pain in that area because Humpty Dumpty was not put back together right.

As of now I have an appointment with my neurologist and last year after my aneurysm MRI they found out that I have cervical stenosis. I also have a neck and 2 lower back herniated discs compounded with scoliosis so I'm not sure how they will try to fix the cervical area. I've been told if the narrowing closes up completely then its 'good bye' forever being air supply to the head/brain will be cut off, so I will have no choice but to try to get it fixed. I still have light and noise sensitivity among other stuff but I deal with it. From reading peoples post here there are many members that have more than 1 aneurysm, some more than 5 so I am lucky but I do fear that if 1 can happen then there is a chance more can grow. I deal with things as they happen but unless I am in need of medical attention I stlll keep my mouth shut and do not complain over the little stuff. The cervical stenosis has me a bit concerned because I have been having some severe neck pain and wear a cervical collar now around the house and it does help eliminate normal movements.

I am assuming you live in the Boston area. I live in NYS and once obamacare took over our health plan changed and I no longer can use my neurosurgeon. In 2011 he was the only one that I was told did clippings. Most today do the coiling and I am not a candidate for that.

When you have the skull opened/removed and placed back in you may experience and see a pulsating in that area. I did, but after a month or so when the skull healed (?) it stopped. Kind of reminded of the top of a newborn baby's head.

One thing I am confused about is do I have an aneurysrm or not? I feel I still have one but its a clipped one. The clip only keeps the blood from settling in that area and making the ani bigger. I could be wrong but just not sure.

I also have high BP & cholesterol. My neurologist explained that the verapamil keeps my blood pumping slower from my heart to the head area and prior to verapamil there was too much blood pressure in the head area.

I did not know about this group before I had my surgery but I find it very helpful now in learning about other peoples experiences.

I'm not on the computer too much being I am taking care of a sick dog (my baby). She is 14+ yrs. I have 3 rescues and I just pray I am around to see them through their lives.

I do try to check in and if I see someone going through what I already have I try to be of help. Keep us posted and stay calm. You will be fine. Jeanne

Hi Michele,

I am just getting to 4 months post-op. And you are right, it has been a rough road! Actually my word for it is brutal. It has been a long road but it does improve. You will need to be patient and take care of yourself. Mainly, let people take car of you as four weeks is still very early in this long recovery process. My surgery went fine but I looked like I had the crap beat out of me. Of course all of that fades away but I still have issues with my right eye as my aneurysm was behind my right eye. I still cannot smell or taste and that I really hate. Also, I have never been so exhausted in my life. My surgeon said that it could take up to a year for the dents and bumps and swelling to really subside. I still have weird head pains but this is far better than the alternative. I am feeling great finally. Hang in there, and spend time on this website. It helped me a lot before surgery.

Meanwhile, i can't get to first base with my surgery because of a lingering cough do to a significant post nasal drainage from infection. They are going to have to try a strong antibiotic and increase the steroids, as well.

Carol, Have you tried the antibiotic ZITHROMAX. Whenever I get a very bad mucus build up in my chest and nasal area from a bad cold it has worked great for me. It's only a 5 day prescript. Just a thought. Nasal infections is not a cold but thought maybe it could be of help. I am assuming you can use a nasal saline spray as a rinse out. The spray helps to keep the nasal passages moist so the mucus doesn't dry up/clog up. Ayr's nasal Gel Spray lasts longer and does not feel like vasaline in your nose. There is also Ayr's nasal gel in a tube that is applied with a Q-tip and goes deeper in. I get mild nasal infections and the above has helped me a lot. I just need to be consisitant. Once I feel better I get lax so now I keep all of it on my nightstand so at least before I sleep I see it and do the ritual. As for the lower part of the nasal area infection I suppose that's where the meds you take will work for that area.

Did you sleep a lot or feel lethargic after your clipping? I am trying to gauge what is the "appropriate" amount of sleep a person needs. I know sleep is best for your brain but is there such thing as too much in this case?

Hi Cassandra, I did sleep a lot after clipping. My doctor told me that I will be the most exhausted I have ever been and he was right. I slept a lot for at least the first 2 months or so.

Cassandra said:

Did you sleep a lot or feel lethargic after your clipping? I am trying to gauge what is the "appropriate" amount of sleep a person needs. I know sleep is best for your brain but is there such thing as too much in this case?

Thanks for the replies everyone! I am now at week 9 and I am feeling great! Back to work and driving and even to the gym! I was super tired the first 6 weeks but After that I found the more I moved around the better I felt and had more energy! The faster I got back to my normal activities the better I felt…inside and out! I still get some pressure and itchiness at the incision site, but mainly that is all! I have been very blessed!

You are experiencing what I did too. The Kepra is some nasty stuff, I had sleeping issues also. I was so happy to be able to drive again also. I am very independent and it was difficult to have to depend on others for survival...but things are better now. Still tired but that will go away eventually. Hang in there!

I had an unruptured aneurysm on my basilar artery in 1982. They clipped the entire artery which worked well except for a post-op sub-dural haemorrhage and subsequent seizures.

I have been on Tegretol for 33 years now, which has restricted me to auras only, for the past 30 years. However, I have suffered fatigue, either from the Tegretol or from the original surgery. Last year the Drs told me that Keppra was newer and better, and that I should change over to it.

Within an hour of the first dose, I felt a massive darkness descend over me. All I could think of was how to kill myself. I stuck with it for three weeks in the hope that it would go away, but the feeling got worse. I could take it no more, so I went back to the Dr and he put me back on the Tegretol.

I am now back on the Tegretol with the auras and fatigue, but at least the suicideation has gone.

Thanks for the input Johnathan! I have been off of the keppra since early Jan. And have been back to myself again! That medicine is brutal!

Hi Michele,

I can't believe you are still on keppra since you've had no seizures. I had a clipping 11/20/12 and I was put on as a preventative for 2 weeks and then my surgeon cut the dosage in half for 5 days. Needless to say, I never had a seizure and was permitted to drive after that. Hopefully your doctor will take you off soon.

My son is on keppra for seizures he had two years ago. It works, he hasn't had one since but he says he feels angry and more aggressive than he used to. He is a very laid back type of person but now he really has to check himself. Also the keppra makes him drowsy or gives him insomnia at times, go figure.

Good luck to you Michele, I hope it works out for you soon. Take care,

Bonnie

Bonnie, I am off the Keppra now. This post was from Dec 15th. I was allowed to wean off Dec 20th and have been off of it ever since! I have been so much better since being off it! Thanks Bonnie!

As for being on keppra… I’ve been on it for 6 years… No terrible side effects… No seizures ever but brain wave tests show abnormalities so need to remain on it. We are all SO different

Hello all, I typed in Keppra and ran across this discussion. June will be a year from my last coiling and I am having some concentration and speech issues. It is hard for me to express myself at times. I was prescribed Keppra a couple of weeks ago and am very reluctant to take it. I have had no seizures and the results of my EEG are not in. I am not sure how this med can help me and my neurologist and neurosurgeon say that it can't hurt. From what I've been reading it can hurt.

I didn't like Keppra, it made me very irritable and I would get angry and confused easily. If you need to go on anti seizure meds, go on something different. Everyone is different though, meds effect everyone differently.

Good luck to you,

James

Thank you James I am going to ask for something else.

James Rewinski said:

I didn't like Keppra, it made me very irritable and I would get angry and confused easily. If you need to go on anti seizure meds, go on something different. Everyone is different though, meds effect everyone differently.

Good luck to you,

James

Your welcome, be well. How many aneurysms did you have clipped and at what intervals? Were they all found at once, or at different times?

kelia said:

Thank you James I am going to ask for something else.

James Rewinski said:

Good luck to you,

James