Vitreous Detachment

Vitreous Detachment Defined

What is vitreous detachment?

Most of the eye’s interior is filled with vitreous, a gel-like substance that helps the eye maintain a round shape. There are millions of fine fibers intertwined within the vitreous that are attached to the surface of the retina, the eye’s light-sensitive tissue. As we age, the vitreous slowly shrinks, and these fine fibers pull on the retinal surface. Usually the fibers break, allowing the vitreous to separate and shrink from the retina. This is a vitreous detachment.

In most cases, a vitreous detachment, also known as a posterior vitreous detachment, is not sight-threatening and requires no treatment

There is also the possibility of Coats’ disease and Leber’s miliary aneurysm, but these are generally under age 18 male type problems. I know there is a lot of fear about this issue with annies. Thank you for the information. Its important to know even in the case of detachment repair is very successful.

I have been diagnosed with it, I was wondering if anyone else here has it as well. Thanks for responding.

tj1 said:

There is also the possibility of Coats’ disease and Leber’s miliary aneurysm, but these are generally under age 18 male type problems. I know there is a lot of fear about this issue with annies. Thank you for the information. Its important to know even in the case of detachment repair is very successful.

One of my Aunts had reattachment, eventually to both her eyes. Procedure was successful. She did not have an aneurysm. I forget why, perhaps old age…

Good to know. They say not uncommon for people over 50.