Disturbing problems eyes after stent/ coiling of unruptured giant aneurysm

I also have issues with my eyes /vision. I have a 32mm unruptured giant aneurysm at the left ica. I saw double pictures so it was found. I was treated with coils and a flow diverter. I have blurred vision and “light points” that I see, and in October 2019 I saw with only the right eye for 2 hours. MRA shows that the aneurysm is despite a residual perfusion all right, but the eye issue troubles me a lot. It seems to be related to sports/exercise, maybe also stress. I don´t really know what to do about it, since the doctors say it is too dangerous and not advisable to operate again to stop the residual perfusion. Is anyone experiencing the same thing with their eyes? And how do you cope with it emotionally?

In 2008 I developed wet macular degeneration in my left eye. I have no sight left in that eye. After the aneuysm I started having more problems with my sight but my neurosurgeon said it’s probably not related to the surgery. It is scary knowing my vision could be going bad in my other eye.

1 Like

Oh yes, I can imagine it´s terribly scary! Does the neurosurgeon just say “it´s not my business”? Or does he have an idea what it may cause?

Ferret, I’m really glad you posted this! After I ruptured on the LICA bifurcation, I saw pretty filigree lights, like fine Irish lace for several years. Since I can no longer visualize on command, they were the only images my brain would register. Eventually they showed up only when I coughed and now I don’t see them nearly at all. It’s been about 6 ½ years since I ruptured.

A couple of weeks ago I went to my ophthalmologist. I needed a complete eye exam. I asked him about my most recent eye issue - the right eye seems to get overwhelmed and wants to shut down my processing abilities when there’s too much stimuli. I can close it and all is fine. He believes it’s damage to the parietal lobe as my eyes are fine for the most part.

I do have a question, what is “residual perfusion”? I know cerebral perfusion pressure is blood flow to the brain and residual aneurysm is usually that the neck of the aneurysm is still receiving blood; I haven’t heard the term residual perfusion, can you help me out?

My doc says it means that there is still blood flooding through a part of my giant aneurysm. He thinks it’s not fine, but he is not afraid that it might rupture.
As to the eyes: I did not have a rupture, but double vision because of the compression of my optic nerve and the chiasma optimum. So I’m not sure whether the parietal lobe might be affected? Is that thought to be the cause of your light effects?

Thank you for your quick reply! My Opthalmologist didn’t know, neither did the neurosurgeon or neurologist on the lights as they never came across anyone who had them. The Neurosurgeon and Neurologist just told me to be patient the brain needs to reroute. I had lost a lot of peripheral vision which comes and goes so I’m hoping one day it will decide to stay lol

I’ve been having some other health issues and haven’t seen a Neuro Opthalmologist yet. As soon as they figure out what’s wrong with me I will get around to one. We will have to travel about 60 miles or so.

I’ve maintained with a residual neck despite the two follow up coilings, the last with a balloon assist to try to close it. My Neurosurgeon doesn’t like it either. I’m happy that she doesn’t want to do more invasive techniques. We had a very long, detailed discussion about it. For me it’s quality of life, not quantity. Since I stopped the metoprolol my processing is doing much much better. Apparently her previous NP didn’t tell her the cardio had me go back on it or she would have taken me off. It keeps the veins and arteries open so the cardio NP told me when she wanted me back on it. I’m hoping in November when she does the MRI, it has closed and she won’t need to do an angiogram and coiling

1 Like

It’s difficult if the doctors don’t know your problem:(( I think you have traveller a much more difficult and painful journey than me.
My doc says there’s a narrow part in my stent which does not sound comfortable to me, but he seems not to be worried tio much.
To be honest: I would prefer having another intervention and to stop this insecurity. But he thinks it’s too dangerous…

1 Like

Thank you for your empathy. While I certainly can understand you wanting another procedure to try to fix the blasted thing, it comes down to the old do the risks out way the outcome? While we both live with a stable but not fully repaired aneurysm, I would urge you to try not to focus all your energy on it. Remember to look at the simple things that come your way, cherish every moment of laughter, most importantly hug the ones you love!

1 Like

Hi I had an operation on my unruptured aneursym in Oct 18. After I had vision issues occasionally. Initially it was like I couldn’t focus. My head wasn’t spinning. Just my vision. I also experienced what has since been diagnosed as silent migraine auras. Google it and select images. It’s like a shimmer on the sides of my vision. I have found that stress brings it on but not always. After both of these symptoms I get a dull headache for a few hours. Ive had repeat angiograms and everything looks fine but still experience these symptoms. It’s something I have to live with.

yes, yes, yes…and more… lots of visual disturbances and it got worse the second year…included a blindness spell - very scary… I went to the surgeon and he said, you are supposed to be better now, these things usually happen in the first year… well, they happened for two years on a grand scale and continue to happen now, 6 years after the pipeline was installed. According to the surgeon, I will have to stay on daily 81 mg of aspirin for the rest of my life now -even though I have healthy blood pressure and have never had arterial diseases, other than the aneurysm. He said the eye might die or go blind. I went to an ophthalmologist, she said the blood vessels in both of my eyes were angry, I could go blind, or lose my eye. Then the neurologist said, I could go blind and he has the same problem as part of his migraine syndrome. I also have migraine syndrome. So, medication and stress reduction have been my strategies to survive and not lose blindness or have my eye physically die. Sorry to be a downer, but truth is important for us. I am today still gainfully employed and still have aneurysm and migraine problems but they are not as bad as they used to be.

I was given Candestatan to take every day. It helps with migraines and blood pressure. My BP is just on the edge of acceptable. I spent 4 hrs in opthomology and everything was fine. It’s so hard to explain it to people. I was on aspirin until my post op angiogram.

This is so true Mary…the struggle is real. Ive had 4 brain surgeries. Craniotomy, Coiling, pipeline on right and pipeline on the left…ever since my pipelines I’ve been loosing my eyesight…flashing, complete loss of vision several times and it came back…blurred vision, double vision, its just awful…im on Plavix, but can’t seem to ween off, the third day is usually when my vision goes. It is scarey, I thought I was having a stroke at one point. Drove myself to the ER and they transported me by Ambulance to Indianapolis, where I’ve had all of mine done. It’s a top 2% in the nation for the anyuresm surgeries I’ve had…one of my neurosurgeons was a partner in coming out with the pipeline surgery. But this vision problem is just slowly getting worse…i hate it!!! Im too young for this!!!

1 Like

So I’m still on Plavix and asprin for life…but i need to make another call and appointment with the nuero…as most on here say, the Drs say its an aurora for a migraine or they don’t have the answers. Ive been to nuero ophthalmologist, the whole works, testing, every kind you can imagine. This is not migraine aurora, ive never had this in my life till I had my pipeline surgeries! I know my body and I know migraines! It is not a migraine. Its very hard to explain…ive just had ACL reconstruction surgery, so after I recover I will do everything in my power to get to the bottom of it. It is scarey…i was hoping it would ease off as time went on…its not. Only getting worse…

My head knows you are right, but my feelings have not yet understood. It’s still a way to go…

glad to hear that it has got better, but it’s still not fine and takes a lot of patience I guess

Yes, I have experienced the same: if you want to show it to the docs, it simply doesn’t occur…

Yeah- Hate it, and too young for it. Worst is that nobody really can explain where it comes from …

Give it time. Having an aneurysm whether it’s ruptured, repaired, stable or watching demands a lot of patience. Try some deep breathing, mindfulness, meditation, yoga, Tai Chi…anything to help you relax

2 Likes

After my giant unruptured annie was pipeline stented, the resulting clot swelling caused complete blindness. I gradually gained partial vision in my right eye. I get sqiggly shimery light flashes at the edges of my vision - also hallucinations, but as I said to my GP “At least I know they are hallucinations, so I am not mad!” Ironically, the actual vision I now have is sharper than it was before surgery. I can no longer read for more than a few mins, but thanks to Audible and Vision Australia’s online audio book library, I am “reading” as many books as before.:slight_smile: And yes, exercise affects my vision too. How do I cope with it? I guess I don’t have the energy to get too upset. Also, during the completely blind phase the absolute terror I felt of being permanently blind was overcome when I got some vision back.

1 Like

Oh my god, complete blindness is so hard! Glad you at least partly recovered! It seems like our annies are pretty much alike…

1 Like