Upcoming Cerebral Angiogram

Hello all...

I have my first follow up angiogram this week, six months after my rupture, just to make sure things are still how they left them in the ol' noodle. I've been ready previous posts about what to expect, but they are kind of old. Just figured I would post to see if anyone has anything new to share. I've been feeling fine and am sure everything will check out, but it's scary still.

Hello, Nichole. My 2 year angio is this Thursday. Though my 6 month one went great, I think nerves are natural. Just revisiting the fear of my bleed all over again I think has me anxious. I think I was almost excited about my 6 month angio... to get confirmation that all is well and that I could stop worrying so much. If I recall, they can give you something to help with nerves....and I would also request something for nausea. I had nausea with my first, but at my 6 month they gave me something and I had no trouble.

I was awake during, no fear, no pain....but I do recall "seeing" spark/lightening bolt type flashes during the procedure. This was not painful, just a little light show my brain was putting on during the procedure. For my 1st angio at the time of bleed, I was either more heavily dosed, or the meds just affected me more strongly; I have no recollection of that procedure. I've heard some say they were out for their angio, others say they were awake.

I want to say they had me lie flat 6 hours in the hospital post op to ensure no problems with the incision site....and then bed rest was necessary through the rest of the day and the following day. No lifting, etc...after. Good luck to you; when is your procedure? will send positive thoughts and a prayer. You will do great!

Cindy

The anticipation is worse then the actual test...I am so glad Cindy answered you ... she took is having a follow up...sending positive thoughts and hugs out to you both ~ Colleen

Thanks for your replies. I am eager for the reassurance I hope this will give me. I must have had at least one angiogram after my bleed but, like most, was pretty out of it. I’m sure they will give me something for anxiety, the tip about an anti nausea med is a good one. Thanks again! I have a six month old at home and am actually really looking forward to laying down for a few hours lol.

Oh and it is this Thursday at a great hospital here in Boston. I’m lucky to live so close to such great care :slight_smile:

I feel the same, looking forward to the bed rest and pampering! Time to find a good movie to watch! I go in at 6am central...I am guessing procedure may be 8 or so. When do you go in? Will be thinking of you Thursday.

Sending positive energy and prayers out to you ~ Colleen

Hope your procedure went well Nichole. Was thinking of you and sending prayer for smooth procedure with great results.

Hi Cindy. :slight_smile: Everything went well. Such a strange sensation! I’ll have to have another angiogram in 6 months to watch some things. But all in all good results. Thanks for your positive thoughts. Hope all is well with you

Hi Nichole ... glad you are done for another 6 months...time to rest this weekend and take care of YOU...~ Colleen

Oh, good. I am so glad it went well. And I hope your follow-up in 6 mos brings good results also. Waiting to hear back from my neurosurgeon post-consult with the Dr who did the angio. But it sounds like I will need to be back in 2yrs to watch a possible change that was seen.

I just learned I have to have this but I am refusing because after my rupture I saw the doctor and he said I'lll see you in a year and a half I had two clips and I am doing 100 percent better and back to being me. When they told me the risk I said hell no just do a CAT scan like they did when it ruptured. I am scared to death of the risk STROKE Oh hell no...bleeding to death oh no. I had to get that off my chest because I don't want anything wrong with my brain it is doing just fine.

Hi Caroline.
I know you are scared. I was too. But having gone through about four angiograms since my rupture I can say it really is a relatively easy procedure. The hardest part for me is laying still afterwards, but the most recent time they used a new closure device and I was up and out after three hours. You need to do what’s best for you, but for me the peace of mind always outweighed the minimal risk of stroke with the Angiograms.
Good luck.

Nichole said:

Hi Caroline.
I know you are scared. I was too. But having gone through about four angiograms since my rupture I can say it really is a relatively easy procedure. The hardest part for me is laying still afterwards, but the most recent time they used a new closure device and I was up and out after three hours. You need to do what's best for you, but for me the peace of mind always outweighed the minimal risk of stroke with the Angiograms.
Good luck.

thanks for your feedback but I cannot endear something perhaps going wrong with my brain I will NEVER FORGET that night.................ugh..............ugh I am freaking out beyond words however I AM OK about if

I die ............I have had a great life before and after it happened I just cannot agree with risk by the medical people.....................:(