Unruptured anuerysm

I have commented on this site before, before I understood the exact details. I did go for the procedure, and went out only to wake up and find nothing was done, very scary and disappointing, and I'm back where I started.

I have a 1.9 cm anuerysm, left side, cavernous, he said it was a fusiform, but not mentioned in my records, with a mouth width of 9 mm, the plan was to telescope the pipeline stent across to occlude the anuerysm. However, he didn't see the problem on the nuero angiogram that was done at another hospital until he went in, and found that one side of the carotid artery measured in diameter 5.25 mm and the pipeline diameter is 5 mm, so because of this difference he thought it could clot around the stent and the clot could break off, and cause a stroke, so he didn't do it.

I understand from another doctor I spoke to who lives out of the country, what he does with this type of problem. They use a self-expanding stent, the Leo Plus, and telescopes it with the pipeline and has been successful. Only problem here, is that we do not have the stent approved by the FDA in the states? Has anyone else had this type of problem? I'm getting other opinions and I'm reluctant to do the occlusion test at this time. Does anybody know if the pipeline stent expands in diameter beyond the 5mm? It is such a small different.

Is vertebral artery near the back of your head, have you tried getting other opinions, every doctor does things differently. Have you gotten other opinion? Thank you so much for writing to me. I will let you know what I find out on my journey. :)

Hi Louise

It must have so frustrating for you to get psyched up and go through a procedure and then find they hadn't been able to deal with it. The neuroradiologists I saw didn't think the flow diverted would work for mine either as it was fusiform with a wide artery feeding it. Telescoping stents was mentioned, but thought to be too problematic for mine. As my aneurysm was quite low, below all the major branches we went for the occlusion test, which wasn't pleasant but I passed. I have, however, had problems with memory and cognitive function after the coiling and occlusion that are still not better at 10 months. So, it may be worth exploring any other option that avoids total occlusion of your carotid. Though one advantage of carotid occlusion is that I don't have to take aspirin long term or have repeated angios. Let us know what you discover.

Judith