Unruptured annie in the UK

I am so worried and scared. My doctor put me on blood pressure medicine temporarily. After learning about my annie I started getting anxious. It’s working so that’s good, but I’ve waited 4 weeks to see the neurosurgeon! I jump at every little pain and worry when I get a migraine! I suppose thats to be expected if I chose the best neurology hospital in the UK. I am so scared they are going to say they want to monitor me instead of surgery. I have pre-existing medical conditions so that makes surgery more risky. I see the neurosurgeon next week, on the 15th. I’m an American and my husband (British) and I are staying in London for two nights. I know it’s going to be a really hard appointment and it will be nice to just relax afterwards and not have to drive home. Anyone on here in the UK using the NHS? I just don’t know if I can handle not having the surgery.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Liz

Hello Liz I have been away from my desk, hence the late reply. Hopefully by now you would have seen the consultants and they would have advised you. I hope it went well. You did not mention to the size and site of your aneurysm. I had my large aneurysm coiled and a flow stent inserted, mostly it went well. I am Australian based but I can feel for you being diagnosed with an aneurysm. Ask away any questions you have and load down your feelings, it will help. It is a hell of a scary time. Best wishes

Philomena

Philomena,

Thanks for your response. My aneurysm is 5mm and is located on the right internal carotid artery, most likely a cave aneurysm, proximal to my ophthalmic artery. I have seen the consultant and I felt it was a load of bull! He sat there and tried to tell me there was a 0% chance of rupture! What bull shit! I have a pre-existing condition and he feels surgery is too risky. He also wouldn’t do a proper angiogram because of the risk of stroke. He wants to do another MRI, focusing just on the location of the aneurysm, without contrast, and then go from there. I feel stuck. I do have medical insurance in the states, but I’m scared to fly at this point, and we have two kids.

Rough journey Liz. I was lucky, I had a large aneurysm over 10mm, and was recommended to have a PED (stent) and coils because of the large opening. Yes,there was risks but I thought that the risks belong to others, not to me. Unfortunately I did have a minor stroke during the cerebral angiogram, though I have mostly recovered. My aneurysm was in the left internal carotid artery also pushing on the ophthalmic artery. It so hard to say what to do, but I had total faith in my medical staff, a neurosurgeon, a neuro-interentionlist radiologist and also my rheumotalogist, so it did make it easier for me and I also worked in medical research so I felt comfortable with the procedure. Can you obtain a second opinion in London, have you spoken with a neuro-interentionlist radiologist? Even though I had private health cover, the aneurysm surgery was completed under the Australian public hospital. The subsequent cerebral angiograms checking that the PED stent is covering the aneurysm was completed privately. The aneurysm has mostly closed now to 3mm and the team seem happy with that. It must be terrifying to be far from home during such a time. Let me know how you travel with this and if I can be of assistance, even if it is for you to let off steam and to vent, go for it! Btw, how old your children, I have one child, now a young male adult and one female grandchild. Cheers Philomena

littlebits33 said:

Philomena, I also have a small anyeurism on my left side and the neurologist doesn't think there is anything to worry about, I think he is taking my age into consideration because he said I needn't bother with having anymore MRI's. I am a young, active 75 year old. I now have to have a medical every year to retain my driver's license. I don't have too many headaches but when I do I go crazy with worry. I am from Alberta, Canada. If I had the opportunity for surgery I think I would take it.

Thanks for your response. My aneurysm is 5mm and is located on the right internal carotid artery, most likely a cave aneurysm, proximal to my ophthalmic artery. I have seen the consultant and I felt it was a load of bull! He sat there and tried to tell me there was a 0% chance of rupture! What bull shit! I have a pre-existing condition and he feels surgery is too risky. He also wouldn't do a proper angiogram because of the risk of stroke. He wants to do another MRI, focusing just on the location of the aneurysm, without contrast, and then go from there. I feel stuck. I do have medical insurance in the states, but I'm scared to fly at this point, and we have two kids.

Hi Liz,I had an unruptured aneurysm 14mm right para ophthalmic which was coiled and stented, surgery went well, five months on recovery going well but still away to go. I had my surgery at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham they were excellent. I wish you well

Hi Liz, I have been away for a few weeks and just saw your post tonight!

How did your appointment go? and what was decided by you after the appointment.

There are brilliant neuro surgeons and Endovasclar surgeons in the UK, so relax on that score.

I have 5 of these things, 2 coiled and stented and 3 untreated, so I have a bit of experience on what to expect in treating them in the UK.

Please update your last post and let us know how you are and the latest update!

We will be happy to support you and try to answer any questions that you may have regarding treatment in the UK within the NHS.

Kind Regards

Martinc