Unruptured aneurysm treated with flow diverter

Thank you for accepting me into the group. I had an unruptured aneurysm, with a daughter sac (basically 2 aneurysms in one) that was discovered Jan 4, 2022. A flow diverter stent was placed on January 25, 2022 and at my subsequent angiogram at 6 months and MRA IN July of this year, the aneurysm appears to have been obliterated. I have to go back every year for the next 4 years for an MRA check. I’m not on any blood thinners.

My question is for those who have had unruptured aneurysms that were treated with a stent, do you have any side effects. I’ll be almost 2 years post procedure and this year I’ve experienced so much fatigue and dizziness. I’m tired all of the time and I’m wondering if this is common with this procedure.

Welcome again Traci! Thanks for starting a new topic. It’s always great news to hear our aneurysms are obliterated! I ruptured so I can’t help you with the fatigue and dizziness you’re experiencing now. I do hope others can share their experiences.

One thing I’d do is check in with your Neurologist or PCP, perhaps you need some blood work done to rule out other factors. It may be something as simple as a vitamin or mineral deficiency.

Hi there! Glad to hear your surgery was a success :tada:. I had a7mm unruptured PCA fusiform aneurysm treated on 6/22 with a flow diverter stent. Unfortunately my stent shortened on one end so they went back in 7/23 to put a much larger one in. Ive been on aspirin and blood thinners for the last year and a half. I have LOTS of side effects, fatigue being the biggest one. Headaches, fatigue, vestibular issues(dizziness) and vision issues are all things Ive been dealing with and continue to deal with. With that being said I feel so lucky they found it and that I’m able to work, be a mom and take care of myself and my family. The side effects are hard though and people don’t “see” them so they don’t know you’re going through it. I wish you lots of luck and hopefully you will continue to get good scans. I go in on the 14th for a follow up angiogram and am keeping my fingers this last surgery did the trick.

1 Like

Hi Traci,
I’m 2 years out too and I’m still a bit of wreck at times. However I must disclose that since then I’ve had 2 more procedures and a boatload of angiograms, so I can’t say where the blame lies. Life has gotten very interesting. But after the first procedure I was wiped out for some time. Headaches, extreme fatigue, vision (focus) problems, auras, and some entertaining other visual issues like skittering objects in my peripheral vision, water droplets sprayed in my eye (not real ones of course) and fireflies. My headaches are mostly gone now. The skittering objects still make an appearance from time to time but the rest is mostly gone. Auras come and go. Last month I felt great and thought I turned a corner but I crashed a week ago and now I’m wiped out again. Since this all started I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder that I sometimes blame for all my woes, but I’m pretty sure I had it for many years before i was diagnosed and I was never this tired before. So i think these procedures just take a lot out of some of us. I am better than before so I believe I will be better still in days to come. I’m 6 mos from my last angiogram and don’t go back for 6 more, so I am interested to see how much better I get with the break. Time will tell. I would talk to your GP though if you havent already. I had low iron and b12 for a while so we watch those numbers now. Make sure you don’t have something simple working against you.

1 Like