Trying to Understand & Cope

Hi- My father just passed away from a brain aneurysm. He was doing fine, and the next he is UN-responsive and heading to the hospital, heading in to surgery to try and help, only clinging to life on life support. The doctors suggest he did not have no quality life, after many several days of no activity after surgery, the sad, ending result was stopping life support. I, after seeing how he used to be, and how this affected him so fast, it hurts beyond everything, the magnitude of how fast and so severe these are- I joined to help understand more, and get support. Thank you so much!

I am very sorry for your loss.

Thank you for your reply Jo! It was helpful. So you had surgery and made it threw?

Is it easy to be scanned?

My dad seemed fine, then was UN-responsive, all the sudden, never knowing,. from there he was on life support. not knowing from him whether if he wanted that or what, the doctors said nothing was progressing. Which scares me. This happened so fast. Thank you for writing, it helps!

Again Welcome Jim...

I am so sorry your dad has died from a brain aneurysm. I do hope you find some comfort here at BAF ~

Colleen

Hi Jim,

Sorry to learn about your loss. It's stunning to see how quickly burst aneurysms changes lives. Fortunately many here are blessed to get a heads up and have a surgical repair. Then there are those who survive (many more then we can know) with tragic outcomes, and then there are the folks who are the walking wounded. I count my wife as one of the WW and it keeps raining down on her. Fortunately you found a place where you will find a wealth of information to help fill in the gaps and hopefully provide some peace and comfort for you and your family.

God Bless!

Hi Jim,

This is a tremendous shock to you and the rest of the family . Sometimes life just throws these things at us out of the blue and expects us to cope and it's very hard. Draw your strengh from remembering him as he was before all this sadness, try to keep a picture in your mind of the good times you had together, thats what he would of wanted. I agree with Harold and gain peace of mind from knowing that he wouldn't of known anything about his illness natures way of taking care of things. Keep strong Jim Best Wishes John & Sue

Thank you So much Harold-

Yes I am trying to search & at the same time understand-

1. The point of I guess the doctors felt of no progress, was because my dad had brain damage.
  2. I Like you pointing out, when you were in coma, you felt No pain, Some people think you do, I think in my mind, that you don't Because when your body is in that state, It is trying to Heal, correct me if I am wrong, Others seem to think that when a person is in coma, their suffering- That did relieve me, of you telling me of that-

Thank you very much again-

Thank you Ed.

I am still trying to cope, and learn of all this. I am at the right place to start. And I thank Each one of you!

May the Lord Jesus, Bless you and your wife. And give you both healing!

Hi John-

Thank you~ I am trying my best, It has just been hard, to grasp everything right now, Knowing how he was, then All the sudden, what he is- It just hurts and it's amazing at how something so fast can change your life!

I will treasure the memories we had, for sure- And I Thank you for writing to me. It helps!

Hi Jim, keeping you in thoughts & prayers for strength and fortitude. I agree with Harold that there was no pain-only a deep deep sleep and even when I regained conciousness it was "comfortably numb", unfortunately the numbness is being replaced with nerve pain and stiffness. Apparently the brain just throws the disconnect switch which I am grateful for- I think the memories of that horrible 5 day coma event are best not remembered that would add to the PTSD I suspect. Funny part is I have never flown before and don't remember my debut copter ride! -that's quite alright tho-tyvm!

Hi Ron, Thank you for your reply- It helps so much to better understand. So at no point did you suffer any brain damage? What made your family wait 5-days? Sorry about your pain, I pray and hope it gets better.

Thanks again! Bless You-

oh no jim--- family was with me but I was in a coma for 5 days. I "came to" in a center city Philly Nuero hospital My brain function is greatly impacted with memory deficit, confusion, PTSD etc etc. I can walk short distances for which im thankful. Thank you for the prayers. keep the faith -things will get better

Hello Jim,

I am so sorry about the loss of your Dad...No words can mend how you feel...Just so you know , I was in a coma for 6 weeks after an SAH in 2006, and I felt absolutely nothing and knew nothing until I came to. Aneurysms can run in families, and the closer the relation then the higher the chances become, so please keep this in mind. Don't want to scare you but it is important to know, and like Jo said, its a good idea to let your doctor know this as well. My prayers to you Jim, take care, Janet

Thank you so much Janet. It helps to understand from each of you, what you went threw.

I guess my question, what made your family decide to while your in coma, or Stand by you for the 6 weeks, or were you Not on any life support during the time? The key issues for my dad, were brain damage. As what the doctor said.

This is what I am trying to better understand, I guess.

Thank you so very much. Blessings to you!

Hello Jim,

Well, from what I know, there was 'brain activity' on my end although I certainly don't remember a thing about any of it...My husband said that I was constantly moving around while in ICU and in the regular room, and honestly the doctors told my husband that IF I came out of the catatonic state I was in, then I'd no doubt have to spend at least a years time in a re-hab facility in order to re-learn many tasks. I guess the doctors really didn't know what shape I'd be in when I "came to", so I think everyone expected the worse. I was so blessed in that when I did "come back", I pretty much had all my faculties intact, I remembered everything up until the moment of my collapse at work, next thing I knew 6 weeks had gone on by me and I awoke in a hospital. When I did "come to", I intinctively knew I'd had another brain aneurysm (I had an aneurysm in 1998 as well, it didn't burst however and I had a clipping at that time). But during the 6 weeks in the coma, it was decided that I'd get coils...I also had a shunt in my head as my spinal fluids were not circulating..I had a feeding tube, a trache in my throat as i guess they had to ventilate me pretty much at the start...I never realized until after my experience that a "coma" can mean many things : Like my husband said, I was in constant movement, even though I wasn't "there". It was very frustrating for him and my parents, as no one really knew what to expect or when I'd be back or IF i'd be back! I know I had a lot of people pulling for me and plenty of prayer sessions being said around my bed--two young Morman Elders were brought in to bless me, and I came back to life within hours of the blessing--I must say that was an awe inspiring experience when I learned that.

I was home within a week of coming back to reality, no re-hab necessary, my biggest complaint was I had a little right sided paralysis which I worked thru by myself, at home. I'm very fortunate. I had no other issues for three more years actually--one night I expereinced the incredible pain i'd felt in my skull moments before my collapse of 2006, so I thought right away I had another aneurysm. Turns out the coils that had been placed in my head had compacted, no new aneurysm found..so I got another clipping surgery in 2010 and haven't had any more problems since.

Jim, I hope my story helps you understand alittle more in dealing with the pain of losing your dad and the hows or whys ..I think that the "brain activity" factor was the reason behind everything in my situation at least. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this pain, and may God bless you in coming to terms with your loss.. Janet

Thank you very much Janet. That helps me better understand some things a little more.

Jim,

So sorry to hear about your loss. My sister age 68 died last Feb. 24th of a brain aneurysm. It was such a shock. I had just talked to her several hours earlier. She had not complained of any symptoms prior to her collapse. She never had surgery as there was no brain activity. She had received CPR when she collapsed and was put on life support for a day. I was told to be scanned, and did have a large aneurysm which was successfully repaired with a PED. For this first year there were days that were very difficult re. my sister's death. I still miss her so much, but not having the difficult days. Please consider a scan. People at this site are supportive and good listeners. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how you are doing in the future.

Hello and Welcome Jim, I am so sorry for your loss. Sometimes, just acquiring an understanding of what took place can be of help and you can get that here. I work in the healthcare field but this site has been great for me and also my family.It is a traumatic experience to go thru. please continue to check in and vent. Take care. donna w

Thank you very much Donna!

These last few several weeks have been hard. By coming here, it has helped me better understand, although, I still don't understand somethings. Thanks so much for replying. It helps!

Hi Susan, Thanks. Sorry about the loss of your sister. From the sounds of your story, it sounds similar to what my dad went threw, although, he was only age 48. He had brain damage as per the Dr. and there was no gainful activity going on. These last few weeks have been rough, very rough! It helps by coming here, listening, talking, and having you all talk and reply back. Thank you very, very much! Bless You!