Tomorrow's the big day!

At my pre-anesthesia appointment, blood tests showed I don't react to Plavix, so I 've been switched to Effient, which the nurse tells me everyone reacts to. She said they'll know when I get there whether it worked or not, but she sounded confident.

I'm curious about how post-surgery in the ICU will be. I've been parked in ICUs before, after my C-sections due to staffing issues in recovery, but I've never been a real ICU patient.

If I'm going to get a headache, will it be immediate and bad? Will I be bored to tears and want to read a book? Will I just be really sleepy and snooze the stay away except for being awakened for neuro tests repeatedly? They're making me bring and use my CPAP machine. I'm supposed to go home sometime Tuesday.

Thanks for any info, and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Best of luck tomorrow, hopefully your levels will be good and the surgery will proceed.

My overnight in ICU – they checked me and the femoral area every 10-15 mins. I got little to no sleep! Also I was in an alarmed bed, which went off if I even so much as moved a muscle or breathed too hard, and I had to lie flat on my back all night (which was a nightmare as I have chronic back problems). I was cathaterized and that was not taken out until just before I left at noon the next day. My sister did get me a coffee, which I wanted desperately, which I drank from a straw once it cooled down enough! The ICU nurse assigned to me was laughing her ass off. But I really wanted that coffee!

Now mind you, my surgery was 5 weeks after the FDA approved the PED! And that was almost 4 years ago, so I’m not sure if the procedures have changed.

As for headaches, mine started almost immediately, and my doc prescribed fiorcet, which helped immensely. They lasted about 6 months, and the intensity slowly got better every day.

All in all, it was no where near what my sister, who had a craniotomy done, went through. It was like comparing a teeth cleaning to giving birth, with no anesthesia!

You’ll do great and please make sure you update us when you can! I’ll make a special prayer for you tonight for good levels and good surgery!

Linda

HNH, I’m sorry I didn’t see this in time and you are probably finished with your procedure and home by the time you read this. Hope everything has gone well, give the anesthesia time to work itself out of your body.

Best wishes!

I am resting comfortably in the neuro ICU. The rooms are private, like a regular one. I see normally out of my left eye, and my headache is a minor tension-type one. I am eating dinner. I couldn’t ask for a better outcome. Dr Reeves and University of Kansas Hospital are awesome.

HNH! Im so glad for you! I ate a lot of salmon in ICU, it was their best dish lol.