The Only Time Fun Comes Before Work is in the Dictionary

When I was teaching full time, I used to say that to my students who would collectively groan in response, but it never stopped me from saying it. Anyway, things are going well, and I’m making the most of every opportunity I get. It’s difficult not to get caught up in reflecting on why the aneurysm happened, but I’m reminded of a quotation Anthony Hopkins says in the film The Edge when he is stranded in the wilderness. He says most people lost in the woods die of shame. They spend all of their time thinking “Why did this happen? What could I have done differently? Instead of doing the one thing which would save them… thinking.” So, rather than dwell on the past, or spend my time reflecting about events which have already transpired, I have focused solely on making the most out of every opportunity. Also included, a photo of an assignment my friend’s son had to do, and he chose to write about my aneurysm and recovery. I hope you are all doing well. Should you ever need anything, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

4 Likes

Young Ethan told your story well Mr. Stephen! It made me smile, thanks for that :hugs:

Well written Ethan!
I am planning to go back to work in a month which will be six months after my clipping. I am a teacher, gr 1-5. I think that I am ready. Any thoughts?

I think you’ll be fine. From my experience, all of my students have been great since I’ve been back. Most, if not all of them, have been curious but respectful and it’s been a very pleasant time being back. (I’ve been substitute teaching since January). You’re going to be great, and the children will be happy to have you back.

1 Like

At the end of the month, I’m going to be a peer mentor at a hospital, and today I ran The Community Service Club at school. The students made get well cards for me to distribute. You’re going to be great.

1 Like

Thank you Stephen! This is my goal for now - go back to work and do what I like doing very much: Teaching

1 Like

From the mouths of babes. He sums it all up.