Thank you

Hi, I am new to this group, I have two small Annie's one on the left and one on the right, I have had an MRA and an angiogram and meet with the Surgeon next Monday and will find out when my surgery will be, the neuroradiologist recommends that I have the left one clipped and the right one coiled. It has been a blessing to have this site to come to as I feel like I am on an island most of the time. I have an amazing support group but they don't understand what I am feeling. Being able to read all of the stories has helped keep me calm this week.

Thanks everyone,

Welcome Karram2, I know this is a very scary time. Like you, I had to wait to see the neurosurgeon, a week after learning of my aneurysm. The scariest week of my life. But, given my circumstances I was admitted the same day. I just had my 6 month angiogram and am very grateful everyday that it was found. I have found this site to be very helpfuland have made contact with very informative and support human beings. I try not to read too much because I get anxious about some of it. But overall it’s been a blessing.

It is very scary, I am trying to stay busy at work and keep a positive outlook but at times I just feel down. I am hoping they schedule surgery soon as like we have said waiting is the worst. I lost my oldest sister to a ruptured annie 2 years ago, so that plays into my anxiety for sure. I am so glad to hear you had a successful 6 month check.

Can I ask you if you found the angiograms to be painful, my head hurt so bad during the procedure, when they would shoot the dye in the pain was so bad, just wondering if that was just me or if others experienced that.

Thank you again.

Welcome! I joined a couple weeks ago and I have read some inspiring stories that give me hope. I am 37, and had experienced a sudden horrible headache localized to one side of my head - almost 2 months Ago. I had been diagnosed w two Annie one on each side behind my eyes in the posterior communicating arteries. Mine are like yours, hereditary most likely?? The larger Annie had a sentinal bleed, resulting me to have balance, confusion and ST memory issues. I read you had the angiography -mine wasn’t painful because they did a spinal tap to check for blood and I had been pretty drugged up. I really don’t remember much from it :frowning: So sorry to hear about your sister and praying for a calm few days ahead for you.

I had pain with my first two angios when they injected the dye - my neurosurgeon said that was very rare and he was surprised. After I had mine stabilized with PED surgery I no longer had pain during angios.

To answer your question… My first angiogram was part of the coiling procedure. Following the surgery I had headaches for a while. That worried me a lot since the first and only symptom I had, when I found out I had an aneurysm, was the “worst headaches” of my life. I also had a mild headache after my 6 month follow up angio. That is the extent of the pain I experience during my procedures.

Thanks for the information so nice to know I am not alone in what I am feeling and going through. I look forward to Monday and will update you all with my surgery date and type of procedure. Have a wonderful weekend!!!

Hi, I had two annies clipped on the right, no issues so far. I have two on the left that are being watched, so far so good. I chose clipping as it’s supposed to be the best way to go, not having to worry about the coils slipping or compressing. Keeping my fingers crossed and walking in faith…

Hi Katram2,

I’m 6 years post surgery, clipping of annie on right internal carotid artery. Some issues post surgery, migraines, balance, etc. but that is all behind me now and I’m doing amazing. My life now is different from before surgery, but I’m okay with that because i had the ability to treat it prior to rupture. So many other members didn’t find out about their annies until they bled, and as we know that comes with its own set of challenges. Please remember to be kind to yourself, let others help (it’s good for them and you), and if you keep moving, it will help so much in your recovery.

I will keep you in my thoughts. ~ Laura

Thank you Laura, it is so encouraging to read stories like yours, gives me hope that I will be a new woman after everything is said and done. I am ready to get it done and start my recovery.

Thanks, Kat

Kat,

A couple of things I wish I'd know before surgery. Your jaw is going to hurt from where they cut the muscles to drill the hole, that will heal quickly. All of the drugs will make you very constipated, so drink lots and lots of water. Have someone who can speak for you in the hospital as you won't remember much. Stay in the hospital as long as you can (they have the good drugs). Don't be afraid to use the pain meds, it will help you sleep and sleep helps us heal. As soon as I was able to travel in the car I got a massage. Wow was that wonderful. She did the whole massage with me laying on my back (no face down stuff for a while). Where are your annies?

Katram2 said:

Thank you Laura, it is so encouraging to read stories like yours, gives me hope that I will be a new woman after everything is said and done. I am ready to get it done and start my recovery.

Thanks, Kat

Thanks so much, how long before you went back to work? How long before your jaw was better? Do you have a big scar? Did they have to shave part of your hair?

I have one on the left and one on the right, both located by my temples. I am going to learn the medical terminology for the location at my appointment today.

I was off work for a little over 2 months and then I went back part time for about a month. If I had it to do over again I would have taken the whole 3 months off. I was so tired. It took a while for the jaw not to be sore, couldn't tell you exactly how long. I still have trouble sleeping on that side. I wear glasses and it pushes on the spot where they go through the skull and it gets sore (not a big deal). They did shave part of my head but it was just a small strip where they put in the staples. Again, not a big deal. I cut my hair kind of short before the surgery so that it would blend in. My scar goes from behind my right ear to the middle of my forehead, all in the hairline. You can't see it. Another thought popped into my head. Get a shower seat. In the beginning, after the surgery, I was off balance and weak and a shower seat is great. Oh and sleeping propped up (actually I still do), can't remember why they have you do that (blood pressure maybe), I still do it because I have low blood pressure and it helps me not get dizzy. Funny how all of that seems so long ago. Keep us posted!

Thanks Laura for all the tips and information. I met with the surgeon on Monday but I still do not know what surgery they are going to do, he is going to sit down with my neuroradiologist and go over my angiogram and they will decide what is best for the one on my left, the one on my right will be coiled but first they have to treat the left one as that is the one that is higher priority. In addition I have a cyst on my Pituitary gland that has bled so I have to have an MRI w/contrast done on that so the surgeon can decide what to do with it. My head is a mess right now.

I had a bad day yesterday, very down, I am just ready to have them fixed.

Did you get depressed after the surgery or before? I feel like I am slipping into a funk and I'm trying really hard not to but some days it is so hard.

It's easy to be in a funk before and also afterwards. It's a life changing event. It'll be brain surgery! For a lot of us here, faith is our foundation for keeping our wits about us, but for others a good coping mechanism will fit the bill. Me, I'm a faith person, and I found a lot of answers to my questions while pondering my situation and saw a lot of His plan going on that I didn't see before! For instance, I was so incensed that my third child had to be born C section, but looking back, I see that I probably had my annie by then and natural birth might very well have ruptured it, likely killing me. It never quite made sense why I ended up with a C section but now I see it didn't because there was another reason entirely unrelated. That's my takeaway from my ordeal. For you, I can tell you this: you are very fortunate/blessed to have found these annies before they rupture. That right there is a true miracle and gives you the very best fighting chance! You have choices for treatment and places to have it done and time to get your mind in order about it. It's easy to see only the bad side, but you have to stretch yourself out a little and see the good side of it. And cling to that and walk away from the bad feelings. They won't help. Take a walk, read a book, see a movie, do something to escape a little and give yourself a break here and there while you're working this out. You will overcome this!

It all happened so fast for me it was and is a blur. It was about 30 days from the time of discovery to surgery. I was busy getting my work life in order, researching what aneurysms were all about, getting the house ready, making hotel reservations for my husband to stay while I was in the hospital. The joke in my family is that when the going gets tough Laura gets organized. It is my way of feeling in control. I did go talk to a therapist prior to surgery and that was helpful to get my emotions back into reality. You will need to put your faith in the doctors (they have done this lots), ask tons of questions and always take someone with you to all of your appointments (I took lots of notes). You are getting so much information at this point there is no way you can remember what is being said. Try to stick to your normal routine if you can. This gives us some sense of normalcy. If you pray, then pray and ask everyone you know to pray for you. It's okay to feel stress and blue. You will get through this, we are all pulling for you!

Katram2 said:

Thanks Laura for all the tips and information. I met with the surgeon on Monday but I still do not know what surgery they are going to do, he is going to sit down with my neuroradiologist and go over my angiogram and they will decide what is best for the one on my left, the one on my right will be coiled but first they have to treat the left one as that is the one that is higher priority. In addition I have a cyst on my Pituitary gland that has bled so I have to have an MRI w/contrast done on that so the surgeon can decide what to do with it. My head is a mess right now.

I had a bad day yesterday, very down, I am just ready to have them fixed.

Did you get depressed after the surgery or before? I feel like I am slipping into a funk and I'm trying really hard not to but some days it is so hard.

Thanks Sarah and Laura, I have very strong faith and believe that God has me in his arms right now but being human I have my weak moments. I am very blessed that they were found and can be treated its just the waiting to find out what and when. Working has really helped me keep my mind busy and on the days when I cant focus I am so blessed to work for a company that is so compassionate that they allow me to have those bad days. Having a huge support group (I am the youngest of 7, 6 of us now) is such a blessing but I have to say having this group to come to and ask questions and know that you understand the emotions I am going through and the anxiety and fear is what keeps me sane right now. I love hearing you all put into words what I am feeling and thinking. Again, thank you so much for your continued support and cheering me on when I rattle on and probably don't make much sense. It means so much.

I’m number 3 of 5, 4 now. Big families can be a blessing, except everyone seems to know what’s best for you. Ha! Reading your posts is bringing back so many things that I had forgotten, like my primary care physician prescribed a sleep aid for me prior to surgery and boy did I use it! I had totally forgotten about that. Hang in there!

Hi, I found out that they are going to coil both the left and the right, I am happy that I do not have to have the clipping surgery but have mixed feelings about the follow up and medication that coiling requires. I am waiting to get the date but it will be within the next 3 weeks. I am ready to get this behind me.

One thing about coiling - they zap the area from the outside of your head with gamma rays I think it is and that'll make at least a patch of your hair fall out. I'd nearly forgotten about it until it was already happening - just all came out in one day! My neuro forgot to remind me - I'd only heard about it from my first opinion doc. I had coiling and a PED both on the same annie at the same time due to the size and location.