Has Anyone had ONLY 1 clipping or coiling?

This site has been wonderfull for me, however I have been feeling really scared what lies ahead for me…Reading this site seems like EVERYONE has had more than 1 clipping or coiling… just wondering if anyone had coiling or clipping many yrs. ago and that has been the only one. I had mine coiled june 1 2010 and after reading the site, im getting myself very nervous.

Thank you for that response…especially the last part about rob you of the joy of today and not to borrow worries of the future! And thank you for the statistics you put down, makes me feel alittle better.

Debbi,

WOW, I am amazed… My feelings exactly. I have been quite nervous also. I had my aneurysm clipped Dec. 18, 2009 and have another CT angiogram scheduled for August 5th. I am already losing sleep over it. We have to look to the future and keep in mind that the medical field is making great strides every day for our good and we have to support each other through the difficult times.

That is true Maggie…I guess its not the type of group you really want to be a part of though, but we are. I guess the experience was so scarey, especially when they had to operate on me twice the same day…the first to coil, then in recovery i was fine then all of a sudden my left leg went limp…so they operated again to make sure no blockages…as it turned out no blockages but i had a stroke on the table the 1st operation, and when i woke from the 2nd operation i was on the venalator…I freaked out!! My husband was saying everything is ok, and im thinking OK…NO WAY i cant talk and i feel as though i cant breath on this machine…terrible experience scared me so bad…I never want to go through it again as no one does…all we can do is pray…

I had one clipping in 1998 in the base of the brain where the spinal cord meets the brain in the Circle of Willis. My only one. But I can’t say that even though they told me that there would not be any more, that I believe it as I’ve seen people on the bafound.org site who got more. Debbi, usually when they go in and clip or coil one, they tend to do all others that they see at the time. Yours was coiled June 1st and you are typing and conversing and living life!!! That is great!!! No one can predict the future and you will live like me. Wondering if another will come up. But I don’t dwell on it. Live for the moment! But first let your brain recover. Go to Brain-Strong.org and read The Letter From Your Brain. You really need to read it. It’s on the left of the screen in the choices of the website. I found it many years ago on the BAF website and have re-read it periodically for years!

Thanks Linda!! I tried to find the letter from your brain there but it was not there, mayber im looking in the wrong place but i typed in the search Brain-Strong.org and i didnt see what you are talking about. i would really like to read it though…

Here is the link… http.brain-strong.org/Letter.aspx That should bring you to the straight to the page. Read it!!
me :smiley:

Thank you Linda!! I did read it and then read it again…It was a great letter, made me think alot …thank you!

You are so welcome! Copy & paste it into a word doc just in case at some point it is taken off the website or something. That is what I did years ago and have re-read it many, many times. To others in your life, you will look recovered, but your brain still needs time to heal. They won’t understand it because they can’t see it. Even after 12 years, I may be medically & technically recovered, but sometimes things happen to make me remember that I am not super woman and I over did it. To the outside world, I am healed, but I know when I need to nap or just relax. Take care of your brain & it will take care of you!

Very true…I do look fine to everyone…I got my whole leg and foot back from the stroke…they say im doing great and i am, however, i do have to rest my brain for sure, i do get weard sensations in my head ever since surgery kinda feels like my veins are pepping out like the blood has trouble getting through…not sure, i will ask my dr. but i did not really rest enough went right back to working…ughhh

Yes, that is your brain trying to heal. My doc wanted me off work for 6 months after my clipping but I had to go back to work to pay the bills (single so no other source of income). I went back part-time at 6 weeks and full time at 8 weeks but I really needed more time. Your brain is saying “Pay attention to me!” do it! LOL!!

Linda, what a powerful letter. I copied it to keep in my wallet. When I am having a bad day, that letter is going to be read. Thanks for the site.
Maggie

You are so welcome! But don’t thank me, I didn’t write it; I just passed it on. The author is who we should all thank. But I am going to give you a task… Pass it on!!! I read it periodically when I am having a bad day and sometimes when I have a good day even just to remind me life is good! Lately I am passing it on alot as I have gotten back into the BAF website & FB page. I am amazed that after having my surgery 12 years ago people still have the same questions pre & post op. The Brain-Strong.org site is new & to raise money for brain aneurysm awareness and research. As with you and me, we probably didn’t know anyone with one until we went through it. The creator, Cory, didn’t either until his wife had one recently. Need to buy gifts for anyone? They are working on a Candle sale coming up where all the proceeds go to the BAF. Check it out and vote for your favorite scent! Hope today & tomorrow are good days!
Linda

hey maggie, i too was a nervous wreck up until the time it came to have my 5 mo check-up to have my angiogram in march …my anny ruptured oct 13 2009,the worst day of my life,i though i would never see my family again,after a two week stay in the hospital and with a lot of reassurance that the coiling totally obliterated any chances of another one happening i came home confident and happy…then the wait started,that period of time i would have to endure before i would see my dr to make sure no crazy stuff was going on in the ole cranium…longest 5 mo of my life,any little sensation in my head i was calling the nurse asking if we should move up the date,it got a wee bit hilarious because it was my anxiety taking me into a turmultuous frame of mind,which was never me in the past and with the constant persuasion of my dr and his nurse to not let this fear take over my life,i can say i felt alot better after we finally got the angiogram completed and have been doin great, even better than great since then,lay off the caffeine, excercise and find ways to work those kinks of anxiety out of your daily life ,see how it works if all else fells try a low dosage of ativan or even a xanax,wont kill ya but will help to mellow out the freAking out about a lil nit of nothing episodes…take it from my husband and kids it works,haha they can tell the difference in me and my demeanor…good luck sweety,ohhh try yoga and some stuff anf ther herbal store called “happy camper” if youd like to try a herbal anxiety relief…love, peace and chicken grease…expect nothing and appreciate everything<3

Hi Linda,
My newly diagnosed aneurysm is in the same place as yours. I go to Yale on 7/28 for a cta and to see the neurosurgeon. Anything you can say to ease the nerves?

that is the correct sire here is the url: http://brain-strong.org/default.aspx.just copy and paste and it willtake you to the site where u can find theletter on the right menu,
it is as follows;

A Letter From Your Brain

Hello,

I’m glad to see that you are awake! This is your brain talking. I had to find some way to communicate with you. I feel like I barely survived WWIII and am still not quite all in one piece. That’s why I need you. I need you to take care of me.

As time passes and you and I feel better and better, people, even doctors, will tell you that we are fine, “it’s time to get on with life.” That sounds good to me and probably even better to you. But before you go rushing back out into that big wide world, I need you to listen to me, really listen. Don’t shut me out. Don’t tune me out. When I’m getting into trouble I’ll need your help more than I ever have before.

I know that you want to believe that we are going to be the same. I’ll do my best to make that happen. The problem is that too many people in our situation get impatient and try to rush the healing process; or when their brains can’t fully recover they deny it and, instead of adapting, they force their brains to function in ways they are no longer able too. Some people even push their brains until they seize, and worse… I’m scared. I’m afraid that you will do that to me. If you don’t accept me I am lost. We both will be lost.

How can I tell you how much I need you now? I need you to accept me as I am today… not for what I used to be, or what I might be in the future. So many people are so busy looking at what their brains used to do, as if past accomplishments were a magical yardstick to measure present success or failures, that they fail to see how far their brains have come. It’s as if here is shame, or guilt, in being injured. Silly, huh?

Please don’t be embarrassed or feel guilt, or shame, because of me. We are okay. We have made it this far. If you work with me we can make it even further. I can’t say how far. I won’t make any false promises. I can only promise you this, that I will do my best.

What I need you to do is this: because neither of us knows how badly I’ve been hurt (things are still a little foggy for me), or how much I will recover, or how quickly, please go s-l-o-w-l-y when you start back trying to resume your life. If I give you a headache, or make you sick to your stomach, or make you unusually irritable, or confused, or disoriented, or afraid, or make you feel that you are overdoing it, I’m trying to get your attention in the only way I can. Stop and listen to me.

I get exhausted easily since being hurt, and cannot succeed when overworked. I want to succeed as much as you do. I want to be as well as I can be, but I need to do it at a different pace than I could before I got hurt. Help me to help us by paying attention and heeding the messages I send to you.

I will do my part to do my very best to get us back on our feet. I am a little worried though that if I am not exactly the same… you will reject me and may even want to kill us. Other people have wanted to kill their brains, and some people have succeeded. I don’t want to die, and I don’t want you to die.

I want us to live, and breath and be, even if being is not the same as it was. Different may be better. It may be harder too, but I don’t want you to give up. Don’t give up on me. Don’t give up on yourself. Our time here isn’t through yet. There are things that I want to do and I want to try, even if trying has to be done in a different way. It isn’t easy. I have to work very hard, much harder, and I know that you do too. I see people scoff, and misunderstand. I don’t care. What I do care about is that you understand how hard I am working and how much I want to be as good as I can be, but I need you to take good care of us, as well as you can do that.

Don’t be ashamed of me. We are alive. We are still here. I want the chance to try to show you what we are made of. I want to show you the things that are really important in life. We have been given another chance to be better, to learn what is really important. When it is finally time for our final exit I would like to look back and feel good about what we made of us and out of everything that made up our life, including this injury. I cannot do it without you. I cannot do it if you hate me for the way being injured has affected me and our life together. Please try not to be bitter in grief. That would crush me.

Please don’t reject me. There is little I can do without you, without your determination to not give up. Take good care of us and of yourself. I need you very much, especially now.

Love,

your wounded brain

I had only one coiling in Oct. 2005. Hope to never have another! So far, things are great!

Wow thank you for letting me know that!! Puts my mind at ease for sure, it seemed that Everyone has had more than 1…or had to have the coiling redone, which made me so nervous. I had a bad experience with the 1…having a stroke during, plus 2nd operation right away to see why my foot dropped and woke up on a venalator the 2nd surgery plus the vein on my leg from the 1st. surgery…burst 2 days after surgery not sometihing i want ever ever again, so thank you for replying made me relax more!!!

maggie just wondering how your appt. went on august 5th???

I have had BOTH. With possibly coiling next year more next year. I don’t really get nervous. I just pray.