Supportive housing--any options?

Does anyone on this list know of specialized housing for people with brain injuries? What terms would I use to search for this in my area?

I recently visited a friend who was staying with her mother in a "senior and disabled" housing complex. It was really nice, winding pathways with fruit trees, roses, grass and 1 and 2 bedroom units. It was also gated and has a clubhouse and recreation facilities. This would be great for my husband EXCEPT he needs more. He needs to be checked up on and needs a social worker to manage his life. He resists me and exhausts me by misunderstanding any reference to his disabilities as personal put-downs, even though it's been 7 years since his last aneurysm. He does respond well to professionals though because it's a different relationship and they can jolly him along to their goal with compliments and such.

This is just to give me some ideas for the future. I imagine one has to get on a waiting list for such a place, if there are any.

Thanks for your help!

Laurie

Laurie, I don't know of anything, but you may wish to phone the BAF directly. If you click on the website tab above, you should be able to contact them.

An assisted living facility may meet his needs. Different ones have different "terms" - at least in my area. A few of the assisted living close to me do offer med management, bathing management, etc. Some are more strict on what disabilities they will accept than others. These can be extremely expensive, but most do accept people with limited assets/income.

Good luck, Sherri

Laurie check with Adult Services in San Diego County, they should have a list as well as your husband’s doctor and therapist. Your insurance company should have a list of approved facilities as well. As Sherri Long mentioned, different assisted living facilities have different criteria. As far as I know, in NC, to be eligible, patient must have medical need signed by licensed professional, as most will require some form of insurance.

Thanks to all who replied! But I was thinking of something in between Assisted Living and regular living. And something much less costly than Assisted Living and more like a program that helps the developmentally disabled to live independently. Any ideas on that?

Laurie, have you tried calling Community Solutions, the BAF, any of the TBI or Stroke Associations in San Diego County? If I recall correctly, tj1 provided a number awhile back for Community Solutions.

When I lived in Chico, I worked at a Treatment Care Facility for the Emotionally Disturbed. It was a halfway house of sorts for adults who were transitioning from a mental health hospital to the “real world”. Back then, we had no SW working the facility, did have one nurse and some of us were trained to pass medications. Each of the residents worked with a therapist and a psychiatrist. Laws for adult facilities have probably changed in those 30-40 years since I worked there. Your husband may not qualify if he presents well to professionals. What does his therapist suggest? Any specialized housing is going to be expensive, be prepared.

Yes, Halfway Housing, that's the concept! No, I haven't phoned any of these agencies. You think I would get more out of phoning them? I have a sleep disorder which makes matching up with a normal schedule a rare occurrence. The BAF place has not been very helpful in the past. Good logo and all but minimal services, even for fielding calls. We can't afford expensive housing. Just not possible. There must be something out there for those that aren't wealthy.

Yes, I think you could better explain to them what you are looking for. Make a list of questions and needs, the agency you call might be able to help more efficiently.

However, I would start with the therapist and doctors first to see if your husband even qualifies. Often what families or caregivers would like to see for their loved one, just doesn’t meet the criteria. If you can’t afford private pay, criteria is what insurance companies are looking at, even Medicaid and Medicare have their own specific criteria. Even if you can meet the cost, the group home would still have a set of criteria for admittance. If your husband is legally able to make decisions for himself, you may be wasting your time.

Perhaps you could join a local Caregiver support group or get some therapy to deal with all these changes for yourself.

You probably need to go through the BAF site and look under resources or something in that manner, before you call them. Maybe you can find some answers in one of their articles. I called them once and found the young lady who answered the phone to be very engaging and helpful. Remember the BAF is a research and educational organization. They won’t be able to answer specific questions on individuals as they couldn’t possibly have all the answers for every state much less every country. What they do and can do, they do very well. Have you checked out their webinars?