Stress and a coiled Aneurysm

I had a pipeline stent and coil placed in Dec. of 2017 to treat and unruptured large aneurysm. The location and size the aneurysm has damaged some of the nerves that control my right eye, including the pupil, which is also how the aneurysm was discovered so good new, bad news. I was all good living with the eye conditions post treatment until about 6 months ago when added stress came along (sold home, moved to a new area and MUCH job stress - I have a very demanding job without any health stuff). The impact to my right eye has become much worse and now the eyelid is also ā€˜heavyā€™. Iā€™ve seen several Neuro Ophthalmologists (all with differing opinions) and follow up angiogram confirms the aneurysm is just fine. It was not expected that my vision issues would get worse 18 months post treatment and since the aneurysm is good, thankfully, I wonder if stress is not the culprit. No one can advise, so far, what has caused my eye symptoms to become so much worse.

The stress of the job has not let up but Iā€™m trying to limit myself to 45 hours a week. I have to think that stress can impact the coil and suchā€¦but am not sure. Am awaiting yet one more view of my records and hopeful for some answers.

Generally, Iā€™m super lucky and I am grateful every day as I donā€™t typically experience pain. The vision issue does cause significant fatigue and I think also that my emotions are more rawā€¦which might just be the effect of the constant stress and struggle each day to see clearly. Because I really donā€™t have debilitating side effects I keep trying to do all the things I did before this happened, and am realizing that maybe I cannot. Yes, a career change is in order - Iā€™ll be 60 this year and I didnā€™t live this long and survive an aneurysm to be miserable.

Have others felt the impact of stress?

1 Like

Oh my yes! When I get stressed, which isnā€™t often, I lose my words, my tremor worsens and my cognitive skills go on vacation. But that can happen when Iā€™m very excited as well. My rupture was on the left side, my right eye seems to be the most affected. I find myself blinking it a lot when Iā€™m over stimulated. Itā€™s hard to explain but it seems as if it wants to shut my brain down. Maybe others who see me think Iā€™m winking at them roflol. Hope others chime in!

2 Likes

I do not have a coiled aneurysm, but what has been described by Moltroub is partially what had been happening to me and why I went to the doctor to have whatever is happening to my brain investigated. I have had migraines since I was a teenager. The symptoms were tingly scalp, auras and nausea (besides the headache). These headaches were different, I would stutter and then stop speaking, double vision and my left side of my face would go numb. (It appears from MRAs that my problem lies with my right MCA) It was something like what Moltroub said, my brain would shut down. The headaches with these symptoms would not last long but were frequent. They scared my family and friends.

Since getting my blood pressure under control and changing my diet, they are not as frequent, but do come back when Iā€™m stressed.

Iā€™m very sorry that you are going through all of this Karyle. I hope you can eliminate some of the stress in your life and feel better soon!
Bertie

3 Likes

I had a clip, but yes stress is not handled well. I last worked as a Surgical Scrub Nurse, also purchasing for the Surgical Center that I worked for. I tried so hard, I had managed it before but the stress won out. Ended up with seizures, confusion, slow reflexes which I needed for my job. I feel I should have changed positions when I first went back. Stress ended my career. Or just ended it early.
If you can change your job, something less stressful it may help.
I wish nothing but the best for you. Have faith in yourself

3 Likes

Thank you! Iā€™ve been trying to just live a normal life and had been doing a fine job, until things got worse. But now I just realize that I need to take more care of me and relax more. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Debbie - I do was trying to do all, but hope I can change course before it impacts me more than it has. Take care and find time to enjoy as much as you can. K

1 Like

I also have issues with my eyes /vision. I have a 32mm unruptured giant aneurysm at the left ica. I saw double pictures so it was found. I was treated with coils and a flow diverter. I have blurred vision and ā€œlight pointsā€ that I see, and in October 2019 I saw with only the right eye for 2 hours. MRA shows that the aneurysm is despite a residual perfusion all right, but the eye issue troubles me a lot. It seems to be related to sports/exercise, maybe also stress. I donĀ“t really know what to do about it, since the doctors say it is too dangerous and not advisable to operate again to stop the residual perfusion.

Welcome ferret! You have gone into a conversation that was started in 2011. The way you tell is by looking at the month then there will be a comma and last two numbers of the year. If there is no comma then itā€™s just a month and the day. How about starting a new topic? You can do this by clicking ā€œnew topicā€. You put in your title and then the discussion/question. + New Topic is found at the top right side on the home page.

thank you for the idea, I will do it later!

1 Like