Still little feeling in scalp 1 yr after clipping for non ruptured aneurysm

I had my clipping on 11/28/17. I am so blessed to say that as a 73 yr old female, I am doing amazingly well. I sincerely would like anyone who has had a clipping done and it has been over 1 year to reply. My Neurosurgeon had to take a portion of my skull on the lower left-hand side out to reach the area of the aneurysm. I have feeling in most of my scull back there but there is definitely a portion where I have almost no feeling. Can I expect it to return at some point? Thank you so much to anyone who might be able to answer my question.

Hey Diane,
When they cut your scalp, they cut the nerves, it’s unavoidable and in the process we can lose some sensation. Some areas, particularly over the incision the sensation can seem magnified. It was explained to me that when they sew (or staple) the scalp back together the nerves can be more exposed and that can make the sensation amplified.
But I can assure you that, overtime, that normal scalp sensation does return. All the humps and hollows remain, but the sensation does eventually settle to a normal feeling. Well, it did for me.

Merl from the Moderator Support Team

Hi,
yep, don’t worry about it. It’s nothing to do with your health, merely dead nerves in that area. Happens after a lot of surgery. Nerves do grow back but it takes a long time, but the main “take away” is that it doesn’t matter.
Cheers!
Scharyn.