Stent Assisted Coiling Procedure 3 Weeks Ago

In 2010 I had a ruptured ACA aneurysm that was coiled. Needless to say, that was not a pleasant experience. Since then, I have been getting regular MRAs and a few angiograms to keep track of a wide-neck residual aneurysm that formed. In the last two years, the residual aneurysm had gotten larger, to the point where it was about the size of the original aneurysm when it ruptured. I had two consultations with some very skilled doctors, and both agreed it was time to take action.

I settled on Dr. Robert Starke at Jackson Memorial in Miami, and I am very happy I did. He did a stent-assisted coiling procedure and closed off the aneurysm. He described the procedure as a complete success, but I will still need a follow-up angiogram and yearly MRAs going forward.

It’s hard to believe, but I was released less than 24 hours after the procedure, and I have been doing extremely well. I am back to my regular activities and back to working full-time (from home). Of course, that was not the case after the rupture, which took well over a year to get “kind of” back to normal. But I am very grateful for the outcome of both doctors who helped prolong my life.

I know not everyone has a great result, and I remember the anxiety and pain of that first recovery. But you can improve with a positive attitude and the help of a supportive family.

Anyway, I needed to share my updated story, so here it is. I hope you are all well and have a great holiday. I added a couple of images in case anyone is interested.

2022 Brain Image.pdf (674.2 KB)

Brain1

2 Likes

I’m so glad you’re doing well Tony! I must be a bit off, because I love these images. I am envious of all the members that post them as I have never received an image from my Neurosurgeon and nothing in color! I do have my black and white MRI’s which don’t help me to see my aneurysm very well. If you don’t mind, next year, when I have my appointment, I’d like to show her yours and ask for one for mine!

Moltroub,

Thank you for your response. I think your doctor will be puzzled by your request. I took the original black-and-white images and made them into what you see. The only color added was to delineate the various parts of the aneurysm. There are no color MRI images that I know of. :slightly_smiling_face:

Tony, you can probably sell your services “colorizing” all our images for us. It would definitely add impact when we share our stories with friends and family, lol.

1 Like

You did a fantastic job editing your image Tony! Dr. Q-W would go so fast when she used to show me my images, I couldn’t get my brain to catch up. But we did learn when we had our first video conference, she’s not a techie LOL. Some kind soul taught her how to turn her camera on so we could have our chat. I remember one of our members simply took their phone and shot a picture of theirs when their surgeon had it up. Maybe that’s my first step!

If you don’t mind me asking, how did you get your original black and white image?

Hi Tony,
Great news.
I had my rupture in February 2009 and in January 2010 I got a pipeline stent. Every 2 years I do RN and all seems ok.
Good luck and all the best from Italy.
Giovanni

1 Like

Hi, glad everything is going so well!! I’m just wondering why they didn’t put stents in when they coiled your aneurysm??

@Robin64
When we have a ruptured aneurysm, they cannot put in a stent as it requires anti platelet medication. That’s what I was told. The first step is to stop the bleeding, that is done with coils, or an open surgery with a clip, when we have a broad neck aneurysm it usually requires a stent after a while to secure the aneurysm.
Also, I don’t think there were as many options in 2010 when @Tony_P had his rupture.
My stent for example was FDA approved in 2016, I got coils the same day when I had my rupture and a second surgery with a stent and more coils six months later. I had to start the dual anti platelet medication a couple of weeks before the second surgery. I hope this explains why.

2 Likes

Hi Ben,

I apologize, I guess I didn’t realize how much things have changed, my bad. Mine didn’t rupture, so I guess I was lucky there. But still have residual blood going in the neck of the balloon, so surgery for second stent was in March, but the last angiogram in September showed it was still happening, but far less now.
I’ll have a MRI in March to look at it again. I was on plavix and aspirin for clotting, was taken off the plavix after the last angiogram in Sept. March’s second stent I had low hemoglobin (8), they still did the surgery, I dropped in a week after surgery to a (4) was so anemic, I couldn’t even stand for but a few seconds. So back to the hospital for a week with anemia and transfusion for that continued till June. Much better now.

But after the surgeries, I’m just not myself anymore. I never had panic attacks, or daily anxiety, emotions that are all over the place, crying for absolutely no reason and can’t stop. I was a happy and healthy person before August of 2021. I’m not that person anymore. Feel like I’m going crazy a lot of the time. No body understands! So how do you feel after the surgeries! Do you feel normal?

I am glad you and Tony P.m are both doing well!!

Thanks for the reply.

Robin G.

| oct20
November 25 |

• | - |

@Robin64
When we have a ruptured aneurysm, they cannot put in a stent as it requires anti platelet medication. That’s what I was told. The first step is to stop the bleeding, that is done with coils, or an open surgery with a clip, when we have a broad neck aneurysm it usually requires a stent after a while to secure the aneurysm.
Also, I don’t think there were as many options in 2010 when @Tony_P had his rupture.
My stent for example was FDA approved in 2016, I got coils the same day when I had my rupture and a second surgery with a stent and more coils six months later. I had to start the dual anti platelet medication a couple of weeks before the second surgery. I hope this explains why.

@Robin64
It’s sad to hear that you are not feeling well. I’m sure there are many members that have the same experience as you have. I am actually feeling very well and I am almost back to my old self. It took a year to fully recover and the emotional recovery is still ongoing. I am very happy and grateful for having survived this horrible situation with a rupture and get back to a normal life.

1 Like

Awe that’s great news, maybe there is hope for me then too! But talking about it with people that get it helps! So thank you!

Robin

| oct20
November 25 |

• | - |

@Robin64
It’s sad to hear that you are not feeling well. I’m sure there are many members that have the same experience as you have. I am actually feeling very well and I am almost back to my old self. It took a year to fully recover and the emotional recovery is still ongoing. I am very happy and grateful for having survived this horrible situation with a rupture and get back to a normal life.

1 Like

@Robin64
This forum is awesome. It has been a blessing to read about others experiences. Now I’m trying to give back and answer questions from my own knowledge and experience. I hope you will be better and recover soon. Don’t give up!

1 Like

Hi Robin. I too have a treated aneurysm that still has residual flow. In its current configuration odds are against occlusion. I was not coiled…stents only. 2 overlapping the first time plus one more in July. Anxiously waiting for january angio to check status. It is stressful, no doubt. It’s impossible to articulate to “normal” people how you feel (especially when those feelings can change in an instant). We’re now all part of a very exclusive club :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you!