SS disability

How does 1 know if they are on permanent disability and if so do they send you in for testing in the future?

VJ

Hi,

Typically, if you were considered to be permanently disabled, you would normllly have at least one visit with someone who is a neutral party/neutral doctor (someone other then your own doctor in other words), who can assess your health and determine if you're disabled and if so, then how 'disabled' are you, etc. If you were working prior to surgery then its likely that your own doctor would've put you on temporary disability (whereas you still get payments out of the state disability fund that you paid into) but usually that doesn't go beyond one years time -- at which time your doctor would have to 'sign off' and therefore you'd no longer be considered 'disabled' and you wouldn't be able to draw off of the state disability funds any longer...yet you'd be able to draw unemployment benefits after disability

I was on unemployment during my last clipping, and had been on it about 5 months when I had to have surgery..so my doctor put me on three months disability leave...so that stopped the unemployment pymts but the disability pymts began...then after three months of disbility, I went back on unemployment...

(and after my coma/sah/coil of 2006, the doctor put me on a years disability--the max i beleive--and about 5 months into my recovery I got a note from a State Disability evaluator to come to their office for an exam, so I did...and me, not even realizing that this was an 'evaluation' for permanent disability--i didn't read the paperwork I just went to the appointment--and about midway thru the 'exam' it dawned on me that this was really a full on disability evaluation appointment! Lol, I was shocked! The 'evaluator' if you will, kept having me do silly things like clap my hands, and she got frustrated with me because I wasn't 'playing the game' with her ! I walked out of that place shaking my head, telling the evaluator that I was fine, i'd every intention of going back to work whenever my 1 year disability was up, etc. she asked me why I was even there at her office ! I said, Hell, I 'dunno why --they just sent me here! it was surreal ! lol) Sorry about the ramble, but thats my experience with the 'system' ...In California, from what I understand, there are few 'tests' in the long run to determine if you're still disabled once they've made their determination . I know a few people who are on permanent disability, and none of them have ever had to go back to prove or disprove their disability status.

Take it easy, Janet

I am on permanent but never saw a dr other than my family dr- 4 yrs, maybe physical therapists had some input -not sure. I hope you get things moving along!

VJ...can pursue the SS Disability data on the 'net...think it is on the BAF main pages...

Age of disability recipient and the bases of the perm disability can vary by causes...and, which ones can be blessed with recovery through various therapies, etc...

Do you have the records that qualify "perm disability" for you; or were you told initially, the f/up tests would be required?

One blessing about f/up tests, is that they are thru SS...(if no changes in practice) they were paid for by SS... as my initial testing was... Well, at least I saw no deduction in my payments to cover the tester...

I found the SS and the IRS were the most humanitarian resources/agencies...far beyond the state agencies...

There have been a number of members who have gone thru securing Disability; some had to have an attorney to get them thru a hearing (right word?)....for SS approval...Expect/anticipate you will get more info from others here...

Prayers for your best results...and, for your sharing your results for others behind us...

Pat

No... I have been approved. I only had to see their psychologist. I can't remember if they ever told me I was on permanent disability but I was approved. They won't talk to me I have a oh I forgot what they call my hubby but they will only talk to him about me. I was trying to find out if I am listed as permanent disable. I read in a pamphlet that in 3 yrs they could require more tests and that was my other question. I actually didn't need an attorney made it through the first time applying.

VJ

VJ...so glad you had your initial approval...tho it does suggest that your hubby was far more able to converse w/SS staff at the beginning...

Can beg/plead...pray that you will have your hubby contact SS...if the data is not specific on your SS forms / correspondence...provided to you.

Recovery is a difficult process...as we cherish the portions recovery...the opposite is true on our attempts to return to work...functionally...and, survive the fatigue impacts, commuting, etc...

What I remember (no expertise), we can attempt work to a certain level (time and/or dollars) as we attempt to return to work...And, which can be a major failure...and, which results, again can be so emotionally and physically devastating again...as we have to realize / accept, when we cannot return to work...it is hard to imagine the reduced disability rates are "accepting" to us in lieu of our life's goals...

It is all a part of recovery...that is not openly addressed with us...particularly as a result of the minimally invasive procedures...

VJ...thank you for letting me bring forth more thought on how we get to disability...variances...

Prayers for your continued recovery...which aspects are yet open to, and needed by, you...

Recovery ...includes each tiny step for us...with, too often, big impacts...

Hugs,

Pat

Thank you so much for your input. I am just so trying to not bother him with as much as I possibly can. He is having difficulties at work because of me and he is having a difficult time trying to move to doing as much as I did. I did everything from raising kids, shopping, paying bills, etc... and now he is having to do it all. Just talking about this I am crying again :(

VJ