Social situations

In May ruptured ann then coiled-July another coiled. Feeling better everyday and blessed. However, I am having difficulty in social situations-family gatherings etc. I feel overwhelmed at times. Does anyone else experience this?

It has been 10 yrs since my clipping surgery. I still at times feel anxious when around alot of people. Mostly at church, which I find odd. I think it is all the stimulation going on. People, loud organ, choir, alot of noise. This seems to make my brain just not know what to do I think. Sometimes it may be that, that is when I have the most time to let my mind wonder(which I should be listening to the preacher). If I have a little wierd feeling in my head, I tend to freak out. Restaurants sometimes would to the same thing to me, if they were crowded. I am no doctor, but I just think when you have had something done to your brain, clipping, coiling, PED or anything, you never feel the same as you did before. I have learned to take some deep breathes and not let the wierd feelings get to me and make mind wonder if this is another annie. When those feelings come over you of anxiousness you tend to not breathe and when your body isn't getting enough oxygen, well that makes you feel even wierder. Hang in there and maybe google anxiety attacks and that will give you some pointers on how to deal with it. I never had issues with anxiety before brain surgery. I think it is pretty normal to feel anxious when something traumatic like an aneruysm has happened to you. Life is going along pretty well, and them BAM you are hit with having an invader in your head. Life is never the same after that, but sometimes it is better. Hang in there , it will get better with time.

yes Deb!! i am much the same - i went to where i worked at a retirement home and i felt like a punching bag getting "hit" from all angles--HI RON!!!! hi ron hows your mom?? hi ron ! bob has altzeimers, hi ron have you seen norm? etc etc . they were in their busy work day mode-im hoping to try again i think ill be better-hoping & praying that for all of us, may God bless you & yours!

Thanks so much to all of u for replying! Such support and help to know I'm..shall i say normal? Big event this afternoon my neice is getting married. So blessed to be here to be a part of!

That is me to a tee! Thank u!

Yes, I had and still have, though it is getting easier, difficulty in any situation where there is lots of stimulation to my brain and especially in group situations. I now try to explain in advance that I may find it too much and either disappear from the room or switch off from the conversation. I also limit the time I spend with people so I get out before it all becomes too overwhelming. It is, however, getting better as the months go by (I'm now 10 months).

I found this useful, it is on a traumatic brain injury website, but applies pretty much to us too.

http://www.brainline.org/content/2011/07/lost-found-what-brain-injury-survivors-want-you-to-know.html

Judith

yes say we are normal!!! normal for US that is-ty for that tidbit-goodluck and congrates to niece!!! try to stick with one on one conversations- if you get swamped i would just excuse yourself- take a hike!!! as they say- you can always search out the people later, just try to remain calm and just pretend your not frazzled! for me 1 or 2 work well, 3 or more can be taxing, i go on chat here and its great practice for the real thing-also good therapy- if you want to try it im usually around-try it you'll like it even mikey did!!(life cereal ad)-lol even chatting i cant keep up with 3 or more- when i look back by scrolling i see questions directed to me go unanswered but they seem to understand im not trying to be rude--its my new normal!!

hi Judith-thanks for the link it was amazing- definately applies!

Wow! This website is a gold mine. Thanks so much for sharing, Judith! (:>

Hello Deborah, hope you're well.

I went through that too and worse. It took 4 months to feel right again. Hang in there, this will pass, i promise.

God Bless

Nikki xx

lol teresa-luv that-that is correct! your all terrific! Bless you all!

I was wondering about this; I’m getting anxious and don’t even want to attend a party tomorrow :frowning: it’s so unlike me; but the sensory overload is terrible. Plus I’m going to have to field endless questions about my condition. Gotta move into grateful mode for the party; these friends have been wonderful. They will be happy to see me; it’s OK if I only stay for an hour. Thanks for sharing everyone.

sarge, how was the party? At 22 months I still experience sensory overload with lights, activity and especially noise. There is something about action in my peripheral vision that really confuses my brain. Better than when the rupture first occurred, though. I am not as sociable as I used to be because I continue to have daily head pain and migraines from the SAH. It just isn’t so much fun to be with friends and try to laugh and have a good time when you have a bad headache. I am still hoping that, “this too shall pass.” =)
Teresa

Hi Teresa,

It went well, surprisingly. It was a very small crowd, and it was helped that the party was at a house rather than a public venue. I lasted a little over 2 hours. 3 of my friends asked if I was OK within 10 minutes, I guess I looked wiped out, so I left. It also helped that I napped for 3 hours in the afternoon beforehand. I’m sorry to hear about your headache frequency, that would definitely deter me from socializing.

Hi Teresa, I am only about a month and a half out from my rupture/SAH and it's been a roller coaster of side effects. My dizziness and nausea subsided only to be replaced with excrutiating daily migraines. As you have been recovering for a long time, what have you done to help with this pain? It is causing me to not engage in many activities because my migraines are always there in full force. Hopefully you have some advice you can offer me!! It is crazy to hear that you are still experiencing them so far out though, I am sorry for your pain :-(

Oh Laura, I hate to hear this. I don’t want anyone to have headaches, everyday like I do. It is a major bummer, not to mention painful. I have tried all sorts of therapies. No real success so far. Ice helps keep the headache intensity down, sometimes. I have tried DHE therapy which requires a 4 day hospitalization in case of an allergic reaction. Didn’t help, but was worth a try. We tried 2 rounds of Botox, injections in the scalp and neck (30+ injections). They were given 12 weeks apart. Hey…, I didn’t have any wrinkles in my scalp, the Botox took care of them. Just kidding! =) Believe it or not, it was not as awful as it sounds. The needles are small. It was funny, I didn’t even flinch at the injections. The doc said, you can always tell when someone has constant headaches because they are used to pain and dont move. We also tried 2 rounds of Intravenous Lidocaine (like you would have if you go to the dentist, a numbing med). A study had shown, it helps sometimes. We have tried all sorts of antiepileptic meds although I have never had a seizure. We have tried high blood pressure meds and more, so many I can’t recall.
If you are only a month from the SAH, it is really not unusual to have a headache. A lot of healing continues to occur. I am satisfied with my doc, because she is very knowledgeable and is affiliated with a major medical center. But, last week I met the doc that works with her for the first time. I explained how frustrating it is, to have a headache every day and how it effects so much of my life. He said, “you had a bomb go off in your brain.” He agreed with my most recent treatment, long acting narcotics at the lowest dose possible. Not a complete solution yet, but be are still adjusting the dose. I also take Oxycodone, when needed. Usually 1 or 2 times a day. Again, it dulls the headache to "tolerable."
One of my least favorite things in life is: noise. I feel like such a party pooper, always telling my family to shhhh. Bright lights and lots of activity still bug me. Again, there I go being a "kill joy."
I would be hopeful if I were you, cause I am typically “a glass half full” kinda person. I have spoken with several survivors who were in my same situation, but are headache free now; after varying times. It just takes so long for the brain to heal. I would never , ever have imagined that this would be me. I am very thankful to be a survivor. We are very fortunate women, I guess you have heard the odds. We are survivors! I am wishing you the best in healing. Let me know if I can help you in any way. =D. Teresa