Smoking

I stop cold, it was so hard, I threw away all ash trays and told everyone not to smoke around me, some laugh and some made it easy when they found out it meant dead for me, I found out who really cared. The first two weeks were hard, but the want to, stay for a long time, I found out if I was around anyone who smell of smoke that I wanted one.

It was the hardest thing and the best thing that I ever did for myself, and you can do it with the help of friends, After a few months you feel so much better and food has a better taste and you look and smell better. It's has been 37 years now since I smoked. good luck

Thanks every1 for your reply's ,i havn't had a cig for 2 weeks it's hard but i think i have finally got my head round it xxx

Hi, i had coiling in jan and was very tired for a few months after,i slept all the time and also had terrible headache.I went back to work 2 weeks ago but only part time,i still get tired more than i used to but not extreme tiredness and i only get headaches every now and then,i guess im lucky really and i hope this passes for you,you just have to listen to your body i guess and rest up whenever you need to.Good luck and takecare of yourself Charlotte x

day by day is all you can do....i am always wanting a smoke...even my friends offer me one...and i refuse to have one...i have scared myself with the fear if i have it im going bak to hospital...unlikely maybe but really who knows....i stopped drinking for 2months as well...only to just have a cpl on weekend and i always smoked while drinking they go together....2weeks of not smoking is good...keep moving forward day by day...it is hard...and i have gone right out cold turkey...no patches no nothing...my housemate smokes i sit outside with him just for the smell and it is hard as i want one at times....but to be honest my lungs are so much better and i dont stink of smoke anymore and i love it

Hopefully you have had some success with not smoking. Here is my story. I was diagnosed with a opthalmic artery aneurysm in Nov. I still haven't scheduled surgery as I said I need to quit smoking. Well if I haven't quit smoking I can't have the surgery - right? Sabatoge!!!! Hang in there I am also scared to have the surgery I'm a very active 60 yr old.

Ask your physician about a smoking cessation clinic in your area.....Nicotine patch/nicotine gum.....carrots and celery stick instead of cigarettes ( I am sure they don't have the same kick)....chantix helps a lot...wellbutrin is also good for withdrawal anxiety...as others have pointed out..aneurysm is just one complication

-Recurrent bronchitis

-lung cancer ( seeing people in 50-60s die from it is painful)

-heart disease...it's interesting but one of medical board questions we have is : Name one best thing a patient can do to protect his heart ? Guess what ? Quit Smoking !

- bladder cancers

-Peripheral vascular diseases

just to name a few...Having said that..it is not easy to do ...no harm in trying

Good Luck

I Wish all the tabacco plants in the the world would get a disease, that would sort things out once and for all . I hate what smoking has done to our lives. It may be hard for all of you smokers out there but you want to try looking at it for our side,its also hard for us to, to watch our loved ones killing there selves and have to pick up the pieces when you get ill. Smoking has changed our lives forever it doesn't only affect the smoker. I'm pleased Charlotte that you haven't smoked for two weeks now and really hope you can kick it for good, its so important for your long term health every time you feel like having a puff think of your family, think of effect its going to have on them if your not around anymore.Good Luck and best wishes John & Sue

Thank you for your advise. I know all that u have listed. I have Nicotrol inhaler. I don't want to get into it but I have to accept having surgery before I quit smoking. Thanks anyway.

Thank you,.

Hi Charlotte......i know what your going through..its 3 years today since i stopped smoking proper cigs, 2 weeks before i had coiling done.....i went on electronic ciggies and even smoked them in hospital ...i still carry one around with me but very rarely use it even though ive just been told i have another aneurysm....my main reason... my consultant told me its the worst thing you can do and can possibly cause annis....that was my scare.....try them ....good luck.....how are you doing after the op...it took me 2 years to get back to normal .....could be my age though im in my 60s.....anyway you take care .Saffy