Risk in flying?

I am looking at the different hospitals that seem to specialize in complicated cases, and don't know if there is a risk in flying. Does anyone know?

I flew before and after surgery ... told on major airlines it is find to fly...cabin pressure fine on our brains...I will say since my annie was coiled...I get a headache when I fly...but is it the coiling...? or all those people so close together? hah...I think you will be fine...but you can check with each facility before you fly...~ Colleen

Thank you Colleen. I have been told my well meaning friends that no way could I EVER fly, so I appreciate you giving me hope. I want to get to Johns Hopkins, and driving is not an option. :)

Thank you Jo

I don’t fly, pressure effected me prior to surgery, now I refuse. Best wishes!

Thank you so much Liam, your knowledge is comforting and amazing!

I personally have had terrible flying experiences, as well as driving up mountains. As a child in both scenario’s, my ears would be in excruciating pain, gum, antihistamine’s, swallowing etc. never worked…as I grew older, it was worse, and even my ear burst on a flight while descending. After surgery, there has been a pattern of the pressure I feel in my head during barometric pressure changes. I maybe the minority but it is very real, I have vasculitis, so maybe that is the reason?

Hi Sheree, I have always been fine flying, that is why I am hoping that I can get to a great hospital for treatment.

The doctor here in Idaho want to open my skull and THEN figure it out. Scary!

Oh my!

Well, I have read the reports, and it is very complicated, a little bugger that seems to be one that will be difficult no matter what...but....if I am going to have open skull surgery, it will not be in Idaho. Sorry. But it won't be in Idaho. Looking at Johns Hopkins or Mayo Clinic. Any other suggestions will be much appreciated.

OMG Sheree, you really have had some terrible high altitude experiences! I recall having plenty of ear pain coming down the mountains as a kid, but to have an eardrum burst upon descending in a plane had to be horrific! wow .

Trish that is downright spooky! Glad you're running the other way from that particular doctor! talk about archaic...sounds like the stuff of a macabre "B" movie plot!

My best to you, Peace, Janet

I can attest to the safety of flying with an aneurysm - I have/had a 23mm one, that's full to bursting right there, and I flew to my surgeon in another state, then flew back home 9 days later. Not a flinch or a blip in my head at all. Docs all agreed flying was fine. :)

Liam - what a wonderful testimony you are, thanks for being on here to offer your knowledge! It's great to hear it from the source, you know?

Sheree - what an awful experience, I'm so sorry for you!

Trish - I do hope you find a doctor you are comfortable with. I live in eastern WA and ended up in Phoenix, AZ for my first surgery (because I had a PED and no one in WA could do it), and later in Seattle when the docs there could do the PED because I had to have a "touch up" I call it. LOL I don't know the details of your case or what treatment you are after, but I'd be happy to answer any questions if my case is in any way helpful.

thank you so much Sarah. I am awaiting an appt with Mayo, they have accepted me. Waiting for days is hard....

My headaches (that started this whole thing) are getting worse everyday. The neurosurgeon here that has examined me and my films say that it is not from the annie. (although it is right there behind my eye and in my sinus area that is the most painful) Do I get regular medical attention for the headaches? I am unable to sleep now, they are getting worse everyday! :(

I was told by a local neurosurgeon to go to the Mayo myself, but the one in Rochester, MN just seemed so daunting! I was happy in Phoenix, AZ at the Barrow Institute. :) I hope you get there very soon - waiting is the worst. I had a two month fight to get to my surgeon, and I was out of my skull long before I got there. I find that before and after surgery docs seem to think headaches aren't related to the annies, but evidence here just seems to prove otherwise! I hope you have found a way to deal with them - I only take Tylenol and ibuprofen for mine, but other people take other things. Please keep us updated on your progress!