Recurring aneurysms? Legitimate concern?

My aneurysm burst with no warning 3 years ago. Surgically clipped, rechecked 3 months later and released by my neurosurgeon. I had occasional migraines for years before and I still have them occasionally. Also, 20 years ago I suffered a ruptured aorta in a car accident. After the aneurysm I was told I possibly have weak vascular walls. Ok, whatever that means, should I exercise them? Lol. I have a strong life of faith and I don’t live in fear, but I don’t want to be “careless” either as I have a loving husband and young adult children and I wouldn’t want them to suffer because of me.
Here’s my question - Christmas day I developed cold symptoms and at the time I called the other symptom dizziness for lack of a better explanation. The only other time I remember feeling this way was my recovery time after my aneurysm. For the next week I felt as though I was in a brain fog, slightly unbalanced, somewhat disoriented and confused, slightly removed from the reality of my family celebrations, etc. Would not have dared to drive. No fever, no major cold symptoms and no pain. After a week my local doctor prescribed me meclazine for vertigo. Made no difference at all. Then gave me decongestant in case I has fluid in my ears. No change. I’m back working and driving but whatever is going on is still there, maybe less that before but mostly I’ve just adapted and I’m being cautious. At my request now he’s ordered an MRA.
Any experience or knowledge or advice you folks could offer is greatly appreciated. So thankful I found this site and support group! Rita

Hi Rita...

I was coiled 2 years ago...I had a leaky basilar tip aneurysm...I had many complications with my coiling...and since the coiling...I too experience many side effects...one is the dizzy and off balance...(I fall alot)...anyways...I was tested for vertigo...along with hearing test...I must tell you ... the person did every test to see if I had inner~ear fluid, vertigo, etc., and it came up all good...My neurologist told me (it sorta new this, but had to make sure)...basically told me all my problems are due to CNS (central nervous system problems) due to my anuerysm...

I live with this everyday .. my new normal...lol...I am 47 years old and no longer drive because of the dizzy and off ~ balance...and at this point they suggest nothing...until everything heals and I can have another angiogram and perhaps need more coils...I think it is good that your Doc is ordering MRA...sounds like they are much more on top of things...please keep us posted...~ and Know you will be in my thoughts for the upcoming test ~ Colleen

Thank you Colleen. Finding this site has been such a blessing and a comfort. Nice to find there are others who live in my new world, lol! I pray for you to find answers, successful treatment and more than anything else, His peace.
I am 49 and never dreamed my life would be like this. I had a wonderful General Practitioner at home who understood my medical history, took my concerns seriously, held my hand and prayed with me. I was so spoiled by him. He recently retired and his partner does not take my concerns seriously. He ordered a CT without dye which would not have shown vessels! I told the nurse who called me with the “all clear” results how disappointed I was, so now they’ve ordered the MRA. If it shows anything abnormal I’m heading straight back to my neurosurgeon for advice.
You are a dear! The way you welcome and encourage everyone is amazing. I will be praying for you!
Rita

Hi Rita,

Glad you're being "proActive" on your health issues of late. In response to the heading of your discussion, "Recurring Aneurysms, legitimate concern': I had an anueryrsm hit me out of the blue at age 37, and after the clipping and after I'd recovered, the last thing I wanted to think about was another aneurysm possibly lurking in my brain somewhere, but in Dec 2006 i found out for certain--that yes, I had another aneursym. Like an idiot, I chose to ignore the telltale signs of an aneursym, such as eyesight issues, focasing problems, one eye would stay dialted while the other eye wasn't dialated, this kind of thing. One good jolt of pain in my skull one Saturday morning while I was at work--and 6 weeks later I awoke from my coma, complete with a shunt, coils, a trache, tubes every which way, etc. The aneurysm had leaked and no one could predict what would happen if or when I awoke, but in retrospect, i sure wish now I'd had done the right thing and marched myself into the ER BEFORE the aneurysm let go on me. Best of luck to you , I'm glad you requested the MRA! Take care,

Janet

Hello rita, I had a sah in 2011 of aug with coiling. I also have vertigo that comes on at any time with no warning. Tested for inner ear problems but they turned out fine. Thankfully, the meclizine works for me. good luck with your mra and hope u get some answers. donna w

hi Rita! Don't worry too much i feel the same foggy disconnection 3 yrs post sah coiling , 2 yrs post re coiling. I've had severe dizzyness upon lying down or arising which diminished. i had severe pain upon coughing which was a sinus infection- all very scary stuff. It appears as tho our brains play tricks on us scaring us half to death. I recently had mra w x rays that were all clear, so all my fears and suspicion were unfounded. i hope this finds you well!

Hi Rita,

I had a rupture and a SAH almost 3 years ago, I was 39. I still feel dizzy, "foggy" at times, problems concentrating and struggle with headaches and migraines almost daily! When the migraines are bad I also feel afraid it might be another aneurysm. When I cough or sneeze I get sharp pains...it's like I constantly live with the fear it's going to happen again. I'm going in for an MRA w/contrast on 2/5/13. Then another angio later in the month. I'm hoping this will put my mind at ease. Or find out if something else is going on in there and take care of it!

I completely understand how you feel. I wonder to myself am I always going to feel this way?

Hope your MRA helps shed some light on what is causing your symptoms.

~Dottie :)

hi dottie! sorry i had to jump in the mix here-i had awful pain upon coughs and sneezes -it turned out to be a sinus infection which pcp gave me amoxicillan for- after a few days it was gone! it was the worst pain ive ever felt -like being stabbed with a rusty knife. i hope this helps!