Recovery Time for Coiling vs. Clipping

Hi Everyone -

I was just wondering..... For those who had clipping or coling done on an Unruptured Aneurysm.... how long was your recovery time?

I'm still not sure which I'll be having until after my angiogram tomorrow and follow up with the dr.

I am just trying to get an idea of how long I'll be out of work for either procedure.

If you had an uncomplicated coiling or clipping and work full-time, how long were you out of work??

I've seen some sites that say you're back to normal activity 2 weeks after coling...another said 2 DAYS! There is such a difference in information depending on where I look.

some say 3-6 weeks for clipping and others say 12 weeks.

thanks!!!

~Lori

Hi Lori,

I have had both clipping and coiling for unruptured aneurysms. Coiling is definitely a shorter recovery than clipping if your doc is able to treat it that way. I have had multiple coiling procedures and I am typically discharged the day following the procedure and back at work full time within 10 days to 2 weeks. It is going to depend upon how long it takes to do what they need to do as well.

You may not want to rush back to work because it does wear you out a bit just because someone is tinkering in your brain. As for clipping, 6-8 weeks minimum due to healing of the bone. To be honest, I would take 1000 coiling procedures to 1 craniotomy and clipping with regard to recovery. That said, clipping is certainty that it won't come back.

Hope it helps! Good Luck!

Tammy

1 Like

Hi Lori,

I've had 2 clippings for unruptured annies's..the 1st in 1998, the 2nd in 2010. also had a coiling in 2006 (infact the 2010 clipping was to avoid adding more coils to my compacted coiled annie, hopefully ending the drama to that aneurysm) but for sure I can tell you that in 98 my recovery was quite a bit longer then most as my third cranial nerve had snapped in two as the aneurysm was growing ..so I had a lot of double vision to deal with for about 4 months afterward...

in 2010 the clipping was like night and day in difference to the 98 version. I was driving within a week or so, felt good overall, I was super fortunate in that the coils had compacted and I was still able to get the clipping done (sometimes they can't do a clipping with a coiled annie), .....I like the permanent fix routine and didn't want to deal with the uncertain future of the coils ever again. On the 2010 clipping my doctor put me out on disability for the standard 3 months, I could've worked sooner then that, but the 3 months worked out well for me. This is not an easy decision to make, no doubt about that, and I wish you peace in your decision...Good luck ! Janet

Clipped on 13th may…still in the hospital…CSF leak now with drain.hoping for resolution of the problem today…fingers crossed…need prayers

Ashhan...you are surrounded with prayer...

Pat

Thanks pat …drain clamped…awaiting response

I had 2 unruptured aneurysms clipped in July 2011. I'm a teacher, so I had the summer off. My surgeon wanted me to have at least 4 weeks before going back to work, and we were able to schedule surgery 6 weeks before I had to return for inservice (the week before students returned).

I was forgetful & tired easily, but I was ok. I spent the weekends sleeping a lot for the first month or so after school started back.

Hi Lori,

I had my two Annie's removed April 25th had clippings done on an Unruptured Aneurysm's getting stronger every day. I am planning on going back too work June 17th. I know what you are saying about different sites saying different things. Just keep in mind that everyone's case is different. Your DR. will let you know how long and your body/brain will also tell you.

Best of Luck, Keep us posted

Debi

Hi Lori ... How did it go with your angiogram? Also, everyone is different after they have been coiled...I am not sure this can be easily answered...Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen

Lori....

The only thing I can offer / suggest is that you secure some books off the BAF website...

Brain Aneurysms and Vascular Malformations A Guide for Patients and Families by Eric S. Nussbaum, MD... I think he is on the BAF Medical Advisory Board...It is an excellent, informative, easy to read, book...

The Brain Aneurysm, by Vini G. Khurana, MD, PhD and Robert F. Spetzler, MD, FACS is also excellent...I read this one first...more difficult for me...or, perhaps, it helped train my brain to read the second one... I have been cross-referencing them...

Pat

Hi Lori,

I had an unruptured aneurysm coiled in July last year. I went home next day but was very tired and fatigued for weeks. I don't work outside the house but I remember thinking there was no way I could of for at least two months. Everyone is different so there's really no way to know for sure.

Hugs, Deanna