Recovery after pipeline (PED)- expected timeline?

Hi

I recently learned that I have an aneurysm that needs repair and I am having a pipeline put in 2 weeks from now. I am wondering how long I should plan to be out of work. From those who have had this procedure, how long until you could drive and be functional in an office environment? Also, how long until you could work out again?

Thanks for any input.

-mia

1 Like

Welcome Mia! Lots of folks here have had a pipeline procedure, recovery is based on you and your doctor’s skill. Remember to keep a list of all your questions for the doctor. It’s hard to think of everything on the day of the procedure. Give the members time, they will share their experience!

Thanks, Moltroub. I look forward to hearing about the range of experiences that others have had. I’ve never given a second thought to surgery before, but this one is definitely making me anxious.
-mia

I certainly understand the anxiety. I’ve had 3 coilings for one aneurysm not to mention all the angiograms. Remember to breathe, and be proactive with your surgeon and in your recovery. I can’t tell you how important it is to be your own advocate. I trust Dr Stacey Wolfe implicitly. She will do what needs doing as she always has with me. I hope your surgeon is at least half as good as Dr Wolfe!

Dear Mia,
Welcome I wish could give advise. But wanted you to know I will be thinking about you.And sending only good wishes for the day of Procedure. I have only had amazing care with what I have gone through with my brain surgery.:revolving_hearts:

Thanks, teresaklingbiel!

1 Like

@mia - I echo what @Moltroub said about it being based on you and your doctor’s skill. I had a pipeline flow diverter placed back in mid-July and if it were not for the photo showing my annie after stent placement I would still think they didn’t do anything. No issues or pain in terms of recovery. I had my 90-day checkup and MRA yesterday and everything looks great. Must return in January for post-surgery angiogram.

2 Likes

That’s great news jammies!

1 Like

I recently had a pipeline placement myself. They recommended I take 4 weeks off and I only took 2 off and then had to end up taking the full 4 weeks off. I was functional and could have worked 2 weeks later, my problem was anxiety surrounding my diagnosis and procedures.

Main thing was soreness to my leg and arms where they went in for the procedure.

2 Likes

Thanks, how soon I/we forget, I remember 1-2 weeks before swimming and heavy exertion, could drive 48 hrs and shower.

2 Likes

Hi Mia,

I had a stent put in for an unruptured aneurysm in 2016. My surgeon was amazing and the surgery went really well. I was told 2 weeks and I’d be back to normal so that’s what I expected. If I had to do it again I’d give myself more time to recover. It took me much much longer to feel like myself again and I thought something was wrong with me. But I just needed time. I should have given myself more downtime. I had terrible headaches and I felt like I had a concussion. I had a hard time with light and lots of stimulation. Some people recover super fast. I think everyone’s different. I didn’t. I’m not trying to scare you, just give you all scenarios. I wish I had someone tell me it might take more than 2 weeks so I would’ve given myself a break rather than think my recovery wasn’t normal. So my advice would be to hope for a super easy fast recovery but not beat yourself up or think something is wrong if you take a bit longer. I’m happy to report I feel 100% most days now. It just took me more time than I expected. Be kind to yourself. Allow yourself naps, down time and rest. Let people help you with shopping and errands. That will help a ton in recovery. I pushed through when I should have been resting and I think that prolonged things for me because I thought I should be recovered when I wasn’t. Hope that all makes sense!

3 Likes

I have 3 pipeline stents and about to go in for a 4th next month. I have a stubborn Annie. The first two were placed during the first surgery. The 3rd -1 year later and now the 4th- 2 years after the first surgery. Physically the recovery wasn’t horrible. Long sleepless night in neuro ICU. Sore groin and bruising. Very tired and sleeping a lot the first few days. The longest recovery was cognitive. Muddy thinking, memory issues, trouble finding words. Mild headache. I went back to work after 10 days the first time and thought “ I can’t do this job anymore” the second surgery I went back quicker probably a week but only did half a work load. Probably sooner than I should have but I’m not good at sitting at home. It hard because outwardly you don’t have wounds to heal etc and people think your fine but mentally your not. I just feel dumber in general. I’m not quite the same - blessed to have found the Annie before a rupture (I was having symptoms I think it would have burst). Not sure if it’s the Anesthesia or just the Annie and stents but I’m clearly not as sharp and can at times have trouble doing simple things - count change etc.
If you can take off 2 weeks that’s probably a good amount -but everyone is different. I do CrossFit and went back after 6-8 weeks. Since my Annie
Is still active I’ve avoided heavy weights the past few years. My first surgery was 4 hours long and my second was 2 hours. I had a foley, IV, and arterial line in ICU. Keep the foley all night because otherwise you have to use a bedpan. I was definitely the healthiest people in that ICU. They come in every hour and do neuro check for stroke so no sleep. I would recommend sleep mask and ear plugs - I didn’t sleep all night either time though. Best wishes to you and happy stenting!
Diane

1 Like

Thanks for responding, jammies. I’m happy that you had such smooth sailing after the stent! Fingers crossed that your news in January will be great, too. Keep us posted!

1 Like

@Moreheadjm11@starbirder @dbarnp @Corinne
My doc is recommending that I take 2 weeks off from work and that seems like the minimum that I will need. I can likely go back PT for a bit after that if I need to. I’ve had a lot of concussive symptoms in the past few weeks, and I’m very worried that I will have them again post-stent. I really miss exercising, but it sounds like it will be a few weeks before that will happen. Walking will have to do in the meantime. Thanks for responding!
-mia

2 Likes

Never underestimate the value of a good walk about, I love being able to walk! And you’ll be back to exercising at your regular level, just takes time, be patient :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Mia, assuming that everything goes well you should count with 2 weeks but allow yourself more time to recover. But if things do not go well, like in my case, I was out for 22 days in ICU and total three months out. I ended having to quit my job. Best of luck and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Diane, you are telling my story and I feel grateful to find out that someone has gone through the same thing and recovered well. Thank you for sharing your story.

1 Like

I had a PED placed in April and was out of work 2 weeks. I could have probably gone back earlier, but didn’t want to push it. For me it wasn’t much different than the recovery for an angiogram. You can read about my experience at this post. Wishing you a smooth procedure and recovery!

@carmi @luckyj
Thanks for your replies!

I had my procedure last week and all seems to have gone very well so far. My doc was able to go in through my radial artery and that incision was only about 2 mm long–can barely see it now. I had some terrible 10/10 abdominal pain the night of my procedure that no one could figure out, so I ended up staying 3 nights instead of 1 in the neuro unit. That aside, I feel pretty darn good! I went for a walk yesterday and will again today. Some mild concussive-like symptoms but not bad. Hope my recovery continues this easily!

-mia

2 Likes

Glad to hear from you @mia and happy everything went well.