Recovery after coiling

I am new here and wish I had found you all sooner! My husband had coiling on an un-ruptured aneurysm 5 weeks ago. His recovery has been good, but I think the medical staff should have prepared us more for what would come. When you ask questions, the response is "Oh yes, that's normal".

He's has daily headaches, lessening in intensity, times of extreme vertigo, and times of weird pressure in his head. He doesn't complain much, but I can see that these things scare him some.

Sometimes I wonder "Is this really normal?" How long do these symptoms generally last? His aneurysm was found accidentally. He had no symptoms or problems relating to it. So now he feels ill, whereas before the surgery he felt fine.

We know he was lucky to have found the aneurysm, and wonder what experiences other have had with recovery.

Thanks!

Hi Claire,

I can sympathize with what you are experiencing. I had two coiling procedures done, one very successful and the second, there was bleeding. I too, have severe headaches everyday and constant pressure on the side where there was bleeding. I was told a while back that this would go away but it has worsened. Unfortunately I have sought other opinions and no one seems to know the answers as to how to make the pain stop other than medication. So by the grace of God, I persevere and deal with it. It certainly isn't easy, but I somehow I get through it. I try to look at the bigger picture (I'm alive) but some days it's hard, because before the surgery, I lived a very independent life. I deal with feeling "Off-balance" and because I also have a seizure disorder, can no longer drive. But it's the pain that really gets to me and affects my everyday life.

What I've began doing is yoga and stretching exercises and use ice packs and very hot showers (these sometimes help lessen some of the pain) and try to at lest once a day have what I call "Quiet-time", just to quiet my mind. I wish there was more I could offer to help, but know that I will say a special prayer for your husband because NO ONE understands unless they've experienced what we go through. AND I pray that his headaches and other symptoms subside soon :)

toni58 said:

Hi Claire,

I can sympathize with what you are experiencing. I had two coiling procedures done, one very successful and the second, there was bleeding. I too, have severe headaches everyday and constant pressure on the side where there was bleeding. I was told a while back that this would go away but it has worsened. Unfortunately I have sought other opinions and no one seems to know the answers as to how to make the pain stop other than medication. So by the grace of God, I persevere and deal with it. It certainly isn't easy, but I somehow I get through it. I try to look at the bigger picture (I'm alive) but some days it's hard, because before the surgery, I lived a very independent life. I deal with feeling "Off-balance" and because I also have a seizure disorder, can no longer drive. But it's the pain that really gets to me and affects my everyday life.

What I've began doing is yoga and stretching exercises and use ice packs and very hot showers (these sometimes help lessen some of the pain) and try to at lest once a day have what I call "Quiet-time", just to quiet my mind. I wish there was more I could offer to help, but know that I will say a special prayer for your husband because NO ONE understands unless they've experienced what we go through. AND I pray that his headaches and other symptoms subside soon :)

Claire said: Thank you for you response. I will say a prayer for your improvement also. Sometimes that's the only answer. I like your idea for yoga - quieting the mind has got to be helpful. I guess we just have to take one step at a time! Love and peace to you.

toni58 said:

Hi Claire,

Hi Claire,

Coiling was done on my 13mm aneurysm on Nov. 26 2014 and like your husband, I now have headaches, vision problems, no energy… Never had any of that before. I was told by my family Doctor that all is normal. I will be seeing the Neurosurgeon at the beginning of February 2015.

Thank you, Gisele. It is important information to know that others are experiencing similar symptoms. We wonder sometimes what is 'normal' and what might need further medical attention. Hope you continue to improve with each passing day.

Thank you Claire. I will keep you posted on what the Neuro tells me in February.

I am finding the same thing. I had a coiling because of a ruptured aneurysm and for the first two weeks after coming home I felt not too bad, but after that (4 weeks after surgery) I am suffering headaches on a daily basis - sometimes really bad ones. starts in the back of my neck and progressively moves up my head - sometimes stabbing pain. pressure too in the ears.

1 Like

I also have horrible ear pressure and tinnitus and hear my heartbeat…sooo annoying! Same head pain too goes from base of head over the top and right to my eyes…ugh the pain is incapacitating :disappointed_relieved:

This is a 9 year old post - you can tell because of the date on the post that started the topic being Jan ‘15 which means January 2015. I will close it if no one responds by tomorrow