Headaches after coiling

I had my coiling in August of 2010. I have read that you can have post headaches right after the proceedure but I have been getting them 2 years later. Does anyone else have on going headaches after their coiling? I didn't know if this was just a my bad luck at getting numerious headaches, or if the coiling may have something to do with it. Thanks!

I had my coiling just this past August, the nurses and my neuro surgeon said it would be normal to feel "headachey" for quite a while after the procedure. I also was told that it would take about 2 years for things to settle down... if your headaches are really bad I would ask your neurosurgeon just for a peace of mind to know things are okay :)

Thanks Jennifer,

I hope to do that soon, once I find a new neurologist, mine retired his practice and I have to locate another one, and soon I think. Hope yours went well.

I'm 10 months post and still getting headaches, though they are much less severe than in the first few weeks and do not interfere with life much.

Judith

Hi Donna , I had an SAH in Feb 2011 they coiled the aneurysm and in doing so found another which was coiled and stented April 2012, I have had headaches since my first bleed some days they are worse than others, I was told that if an over the counter medicine didn't help I should go to A&E, I am convinced that coiling has something to do with this, wishing you well for the future, Jill xxx

Hi Donna...I had the one big big headache right before my annie was found...prior to that, I didn't get headaches often and/or bad ones...but since my coiling...I have a migraine about once a month for about 3 days...to me it is my "new normal...."... like you I am almost 2 years since coiling...however, my residual of my aneursym makes me wonder it the headaches are worse due to this...I take feriocet those days and lay in a dark room...I do hope they give you something that helps your headaches...~ Cyber~thoughts your way ~ Colleen

Hi Donna, I had my sah and coining aug of 2011. I do get headaches often. They seem to be relieved by excredine. from what i have been reading, headaches are common. As long as it isn't the "worst headache of my life" they don't seem to worry!! I also experience strange sensations in my head (like power surge) but I think this too is probably somewhat normal(whatever that is). Keep well. Donna W.

Donna, strange you mention the 'power surge' I don't know if that is the same thing I get, but mine is a intense sharp pain in the back of my head that goes away pretty quickly. However, the headaches are a different story, they hang around for awhile.

Judith, I'm the same way, mine were much worse before the coiling. They are annoying now but not really bad. I would just like to be headache free for a time. I have been getting them since I was 10, I'm not 55.

Thank you Jo, glad things are going well for you.

Thank you Jill, same to you.

Thanks Collen, I hate to think that this is our new normal. However, like a mentioned above in another response I have had headaches for 45 years. I guess it should be my normal, but I sure dont' want it to be. But I do know one thing for sure, I had a divine intervention with having my annie found when it was. I will always be thankful for that!

does anything take the headaches away? I know it really hurts my brain when i sneeze or cough!! I have been really lucky not to have gotten any colds since my sah (over 1 year)

acetaminophen with caffeine works amazing!

Hello Donna, I had three annies coiled 4 years ago and sill have lots of pressure, headaches and occasional visual migraines. I wonder if I am just one of the unlucky people who just get migraine headaches or if its because of the annies and/or coils.

The only thing Dr. Malek said all I can safely take is Tylonol. I take 2 rapid release then if that doesn’t reduce the pain in one hour I take one more and pray it helps.

Hi Cindy, well, after reading all the horrible things that could have happened, I decided the headaches aren't so bad. We are all so lucky(if we've made it so we're on this site). Have u found anything that helps the headaches? I still find excedrine to be the best for me. The combo of aspirine,caffine and tylenol seems to help me alot. donna

Donna while I do believe I have been very fortunate not to have expierienced a rupture or complications with treatments thus far I still find myself worrying about the future. I find that a lot of my headaches are triggered by stress, good or bad. I was told not to use any excedrine, tylonol pm, Nyquil or anything with antihistamine or asprin in it therefore all I take is tylonol and coffee! It usually works for me unless its a visual migraine, those can last for a couple days but I keep myself focused on work and my grandchildren and try to push myself through them. What is a sah? I don’t know what that stands for.

morning cindy, sah is sub-arachnoid hemorrhage. that's whsen the aneurysm bleeds into surrounding tissue. Hurts like a son-of-a -gun!!! I had coils to stop bleed- they worked great. but the aneurysm has a wide neck so bloodflow is going into aneurysm. Now they just watch it to make sure not too much blood flow. I have had three angios and am due for a mra in a couple weeks. Today, I woke with a cough and boy, does that hurt when I cough. I have a permanent shunt in my brain to drain fluid into my abdomen. When I see annies does that mean aneurysm? donna

It is helpful to read about all of your experiences. I had my coiling this past April and have been making pretty good progress. The headaches have diminished and when they come, they are what I call "low grade". Unfortunately, suddenly I am having worse headaches and that sort of light-headed/dizzy feeling. This started when I was attending a reception on Saturday where I was standing around talking and there was much noise in the background, an experience which has been sometimes hard since the coiling but has become in general a little easier. Now with this worse headache, I feel like I have regressed to where I was 4 months ago. From what you are all saying, it sounds like this might be normal which is both reassuring and discouraging!