Recent Cerebral Angiogram Issues and Recovery

Hi All!

I just had my angiogram on Monday 8-23-21. When I went in I was so terrified because I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

But what I wasn’t ready for the recovery process. Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong, let me describe my issues and I want to know if anybody had any of these and what suggestions you have for the recovery process. Right now I feel like I am a hot mess!

(Just an FYI I have been in contact with my surgeon and he has me scheduled for Arterial Doppler Ultrasound because he thinks that I may have pseudoaneurysm).

Current Issues After Angio:
-Constipation (This is a major issue they said don’t strain)
-Current soreness in the groin site
-Elevated heart rate and blood pressure (So much that I was in and out of consciousness)
-Tingling and numbness in the right leg

Thanks for all the support!

Oh my @Jocelyn42 yes to groin pain from the site, especially if they gave you a hematoma. I had one that was rather huge and it took months for me to get over it. Ice pack helped mine, not those heavy ones, but the kind that is light and can form around it. Ask your doc! The other ones just were a bit painful for about a week

For the constipation, I think that’s normal as well due to the anesthesia and dye. Keep well hydrated. It’s odd that water can help so much with so many things in our body. A couple years ago when I was having some other health issues, I was sent to a GI doc and his PA suggested I use a probiotic so as not to strain. I forget the brand name she suggested but I go to Walmart and get their 10 probiotic. I wish the Neuro team would have told me about it back when I ruptured. It’s a bit unsettling to know you can’t strain and yet your body wants to. I learned to keep well hydrated. I drink between 1 ½ - 2 gallons of water a day, ask your doc of course!

I imagine they didn’t release you until your BP and HR were steady. I have tachycardia so my heart rate is normal rest around 100 but I can control it with my breathing. I only have elevated BP when I’m in pain and that too can be controlled with relaxation breathing, but my PCP and neurosurgeon certainly has this down LOL. When I’m in a lot of pain, they both go up. Both doctors have told me the numbers would be much higher if I didn’t do relaxation breathing all the time. You might want to give it a try, it can’t hurt that’s for sure…just do it all the time so it becomes a part of you.

The tingling and numbness in your right leg leads me to ask if they went through your right groin? Once or twice, I have had a nerve nicked with an angiogram, I’ve had about a dozen of the things. If you didn’t have this issue before your angiogram then the angiogram may be the culprit. If you had it before but after rupture, it might be the CSF and blood mix as I was told by one of the Residents in NSICU. But if you had it before rupture, it might be a spinal issue. And you know what I’m going to suggest right? Ask your doc :joy:

All the best
Moltroub

1 Like

Great advice. I concur.

1 Like

I just wanted to chime in and say that I’ve always had wonderful luck with Phillips Milk of Magnesia CAPLETS. If you’re in the US that’s an option to try for constipation. The liquid version makes me gag due to the chalky consistency and the flavorings don’t help lol. You just take them at night and by morning things are usually moving along normally. They don’t cause you to go, they don’t give you diarrhea or cramps, they just make it easier to go.

1 Like