Questions

It’s coming up on a year now for my mom since her sah and although she is doing great considering I’m wondering how much more she will improve. She has certain cognitive deficits and I’m wondering about what others have experienced and how and what they did to improve. She doesn’t seem to recognize that anything is wrong. I appreciate all responses. Thanks…

Hi Laurie,

The brain will keep on improving ...the progress might seem a little on the slower side of things compared to her first year, but don't think for a minute that she won't continue to get better then she is now.

I don't know what your moms cognitive deficits are now, but I think the more outside stimulation she gets, the better off she'll be in the long run. Is she able to use a computer at all? If so, I'd recommend playing a simple game such as tri-peaks solitaire, in order to give the brain some exersize in both recognition and response time...after my 6 week coma after an sah/coilig/etc., the game really did help me improve my slugglish brain and got my reaction time back to semi-normalcy...Also, walking helped give me back the stamina that was so lacking when i was released from the hospital..

Best of luck to you and your mom on this journey, and never say never!

Janet

Hi Laurie...it truly takes along time for our bodies and brains to heal. Some have found it has taken up to one to two year for many improvements...some things are just our "new normal"... ~ Thoughts out to you and your mom ~ Colleen

Hi, Janet, mom has short term memory and divided attention issues as well as slow reaction times. She had a driving evaluation several weeks ago and didn’t pass (in office cognitive tests didn’t make to the road test). She just got a iPad so I’ve been looking for some games and will give tri peaks a try. She likes to read but now has a short attention span so short articles seem to work best for her. Today is her one year anniversary; she had her clipping on her 83rd birthday last September 3rd. Improving her stamina would definitely help and walking would do that for sure. How long has it been for you.

Colleen, do you know how often someone is able to return to driving? It’s all mom talks about and at her age (83) I have my doubts.

No I have no idea...I started this journey at 45 years old...I am 49 years old and still donot drive...truthfully, it is up to the Doctors...and I must admit to you Laurie my mom is 83years old with no brain aneurysm and we only let her drive three places (my sisters, grocery store, church)...I have my doubts with your mom, but you must check with surgeon...your mom is talking about it a lot because to her it is a symbol of freedom/independence...and I so understand...give her a big ok and tell her she needs to wait and heal...gotcha both in my Thoughts ~ Colleen