Post Endovascular Surgery - Stargazers / Rays of light

Hello… first time poster here and new to the community, so thank you for having me.

I have my two week post-op today and was cleared. Question - did anyone notice stargazers or random shooting of light post-op or procedure? If so, what has your experience been?

1 Like

i had these (i’m thinking they’re the same. mine looked like shooting stars, or the typical blue field entopic phenomena) post flow diverter. had my eyes checked and everything. nothing wrong with my actual eyes. ended up being a side effect of the surgery i think, because they ended up fading over many months.

definitely go to an eye doc though to put your mind at ease. it’s usually just a side effect of the surgery. could be anything from a little increased pressure, to the brain adjusting its blood flow, anything really. maybe even the DAPT. my body hated the DAPT.

1 Like

Thank you. This is super helpful! I never thought about the bloodthinners and the baby aspirin being a side effect causing the vision. However, I was on these meds 10 days prior to surgery and didn’t notice anything. Nonetheless, sounds normal and I’m thankful it will subside. If not, I will follow up with an optomologist. Thank you all!

I had a craniotomy and I have a VP shunt, a plastic drain tube, in my brain, so a little different to endovascular, but I get what I call ‘Starry, starry nights’ Stars and flares of light shooting across my vision, especially if I go to suddenly exert myself ie go to catch something falling or stand up too quickly.

I strongly agree with @cerrillos

I did but there was nothing found optically wrong. In fact the ophthalmologists words were (and I quote) “Well, what did you expect… …you’ve had brain surgery…” which I thought was a little direct, but honest.

My last neurosurgery was in 2013 and I still get them today. They’re not as distracting as they were initially, but they’re still there.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

I’ve only had endovascular repairs (4). With my rupture, I had beautiful light shows that were extremely distracting, they dissipated after the third repair and after the fourth, I rarely see spots now, probably no more than the average person. I did reach out to my ophthalmologist and had to wait for six months after a repair before he would see me. He said it takes time for the brain to adjust and some other things which I don’t remember, probably the dye as I’m allergic to it for him to give a proper diagnosis. I do recall last year when I had my eyes checked, the tech went too fast and the bright lights with the clicking of the “which do you see better letter” had me in a dizzy. Had to ask her to slow down, my brain couldn’t go that fast😂. I also couldn’t process which one I saw better. Whatever results she got, Dr. Adair wasn’t pleased and re-tested me. The results he got was more my norm. So I would suggest a few things, ask your Neurosurgeon’s team which is easily done through your portal; call the Ophthalmologist to see when you can be tested and make sure you’re hydrating and resting properly.

same! i went to an eye doc as well and got a clean bill of eye health, which made me feel even weirder about it. i used to, and still very rarely get migraine auras, and these were nothing like the auras of before. but i’m thinking it’s probably the same mechanism - a cortical spreading depression of some sort.

however, it may or may not be related, but OP and everyone experiences these should get their ferritin stores checked, aka, their iron levels. even minimally low levels of iron messes with oxygenation of the blood, and i will say my levels were very low and these seemed to improve when i got it treated. could be related, could be anecdotal, but hey!

2 Likes

down there in my reply to merl i mentioned getting iron / ferritin levels checked just in case, and i think you might want to as well.