Flow diversion procedure- experiences with recovery

Hi there,

This past week I had my 2 aneurysm treated by flow diversion (stenting). My procedure was on June 2, and since then, I’ve been experiencing a lot of dizziness, pressure behind my right eye (the area where the stent was placed), and I periodically see little light streaks or like stars in my right eye. Has anyone else had this procedure and experienced these symptoms? Or what were others experiences like with recovery post stenting (via endovascular methods)? How long was it before you started feeling normal again?

Any information is much appreciated! Thanks to all.

-Cassandra

HI @CassandraJ and WELCOME! We are glad you found us!

I had a flow diverter deployed in my left supraclinoid artery on 4/26/21. I have not had any of the problems that you mention. My aneurysm had been previously clipped and experienced regrowth during the last 5 years. My neurosurgeon did tell me that vision loss is one of the potential side effects having a flow diverter deployed right behind the eye, and that is is incredibly rare. He did not mention streaks or stars, but that sounds like a possibility.

My procedure was exactly 6 weeks ago today, and the only issue I had were two major bleeding complications while I was in the hospital. One was a groin hematoma where the femoral puncture was and the other was on my wrist where the arterial line was. I had some really bad bruising and the hematomas were very painful, but now it is like I never had anything done. Do you get migraines? The dizziness and light streaks etc (aura) almost sound like migraines? Regardless, I think you need to call your neurosurgeon or send him/her a message on the portal. Will you have a follow up CTA/angiogram?

So sorry you are experiencing these issues!!
Kim

2 Likes

Hi @phoenix33 - thank you so much for the prompt response! That information is really helpful insight.

I did experience headaches fairly often prior to my procedure, however, this is definitely different feeling than my previous ones. I think you are right- I will contact my doctors tomorrow to make sure all is ok. I had read in another forum/thread about others experiencing the light streaks, although it was a few years old so not sure if things have changed since then in terms of the procedures and so forth.

Thanks again,
Cassandra

1 Like

Good Morning @CassandraJ and welcome to our group! My experience is a bit different, ruptured where the Neurosurgeon used coils, then another coiling about six months later, then another coiling with balloon assist and finally a Neuroform Atlas Stent put in this last December. For me, the type of stent used has been the best for me neurologically. I recovered faster than any other procedure, even just and angiogram. I did get some pretty consistent sharp headaches on my left side, but I was able to reduce a med that’s prescribed for my spine which helped.

I agree with @phoenix33, reach out to your surgeon. It may be that your brain is still healing but it never hurts to reach out. Don’t be surprised if they say it’s not from your procedure as is often our case. But one time I reached out and had to have another procedure. It is better to be safe than sorry IMHO.

Beat of luck! And again, welcome!
Moltroub

2 Likes

Thank you @Moltroub for also sharing your experience/insight! I’ve just left a message with my doctor so hoping to hear back soon. Yes, I’ve gathered that what I’m experiencing may just be chalked up to nothing (which is frustrating) but as you’ve said, good to ask anyways just in case!

I have noticed my pressure headaches are getting slightly worse each day, and I am taking extra strength Tylenol (which in the past doesn’t really help me- Advil works much better for me but I can’t take that right now). I read in another forum that someone was told they were experiencing rebound headaches from the Tylenol so I’m wondering if that might also be a factor. We shall see what the doc says!

Thanks so much,
Cassandra

Rebound headaches are a norm for most all medications that treat headaches, I believe. One of my Neurologists limited me to 3 NSAIDs a week. He also believed folks in the States didn’t get enough magnesium so he put me on it. I didn’t tolerate it well and had to keep reducing the amount until finally he just said to stop taking it.

My Neurosurgeon’s rules for me as you may have already read is to hydrate, eat protein, hydrate, rest, hydrate. Just staying hydrated helps so much, I could never begin to tell you. I’ve never measured how much water I drink, but it’s at least 1 ½ - 2 gals a day. When I have any procedure, I have to add to that three bottles of Gatorade. She, my neurosurgeon, is really into hydration as you can tell. I think the rules are for every 32 ounce bottle of a Gatorade I had to drink twice that in water. With the first three procedures it was for 3-4 months, sometimes 6 months. Along with the hydration, was to eat at least 90 grams of protein per day. It’s really not as difficult as it used to be with all the foodstuff with added protein now and protein powder is available. Our brains really need both to heal.

Watch how much Tylenol you take, don’t go over what the label says, and stay away from alcohol when you’re taking it. Acetaminophen can do a good bit of damage to a liver, experience talking here.

Let us know what the doc says!
Moltroub

2 Likes

Thanks @Moltroub! Very helpful information. I thankfully drink a lot of water and really don’t drink alcohol often, so I’m good in that sense, although I could up my protein intake.

My doctors chalked it up to likely being some swelling/inflammation from where the stent was placed. They’ve advised me to continue for the next few days with taking extra strength Tylenol (but upping it to the max dose as I was taking 500mg every 4-6 hours, so I’ll now take up to the max dose daily now as per bottle label and doctors directions) to see how it goes. With that said, they did indicate they will prescribe some steroids to help with the swelling/inflammation if the symptoms don’t start to subside or ease up over the next few days. I was on steroids for 2-3 days from the surgery date and didn’t have this amount of headache pain or pressure during those days, but after I finished those meds is when my issues started bubbling up.

I’m very thankful that the medical team I’m dealing with is wonderful so far! I had my procedure done at Toronto Western Hospital and the aneurysm clinic team there has been very good so far in terms of getting back to me promptly and getting appointments booked as needed.

-Cassandra

1 Like

@CassandraJ I love to read about members getting quality care! It sounds like your team is on top of things which is fantastic. I’m really happy to hear that. And you may be onto something with your steroid thinking…I learn something new almost every day from our members, thank you so much for sharing your journey with us!

All the best,
Moltroub

2 Likes