Pediatric Aneurysm

My 14 year old son has a possible brain aneurysm. I am looking for a pediatric neurologist in the midwest. Also, would like a list of questions that should be asked and what other tests can be done to be more determinant of what it is (tests without radation would be my preference.) Thanks for your help and prompt response.

Hi There,

I dont know about America but in the UK we have the Great Ormond Street Childrens hospital. You need to find an equivalent in the US that specialises in Neurology. Great Ormond Street is linked to the hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery. Jennifer x


As far as I know, there is only on test to show an aneurysm and that is a CT scan. If an aneurysm is found they will do an MRI to get more information. The questions come after they know what they are dealing with. I would not worry about radiation what is important is that if he has an aneurysm that it is detected. I hope this helps.

Hi JSR, Not sure if you have had a chance to check out the main site of the Brain Aneurysm Foundation. But one the links provided might help you find a doctor…

There is also a wealth of information on the site to include a list of questions to ask your doctor during an appointment.

Hope this helps,


JSR...I think there is a Group on pediatrics...

Wishes and prayers for the very best....


Would echo Mary's response to look at the aspn website to find a pediatric neurosurgeon. However, since pediatric aneurysms are rare, so are neurosurgeons who deal with this problem - ie, not all those listed

treat people with aneurysms - but it's a start. Most major childrens hospitals which are university affliliated will have one pediatric neurosurgeon who specializes in vascular disorders in children. Just call the departments in your city and ask for the name of the appropriate person. A pediatric neurologist can order the testing and do the initial history and exam, but if an aneurysm is diagnosed, you will still need to see a neurosurgeon re: treatment options so simpler just to start with a neurosurgeon who specializes in this area. Questions to ask: treatment options, risks, long term followup etc. Best wishes.