One year anniversary post craniotomy

Another positive story! My un-ruptured Annie was sucessfuly removed one year ago at UCSF. I am a 66 year old grandmother of 10, mom of 5, and wife of one! I was out of the hospital after only 3 days, back to normal life from that day on … Working, walking, playing with grandkids but taking nice winter naps. Life is good and I’ve never regretted my decision. I had breast cancer, chemo, and radiation in 2011 - 2012 and that was easier than I expected too but harder than the craniotomy, probably because it was such a long process; 9 months from diagnosis to last treatment.

If you have an unruptured Annie, only look at those discussions from others with unruptured ones; the ruptured Annie stories are damn scary and we are so lucky ours were discovered prior to rupture.

The picture of me here was taken 1 week post-op after a walk in the San Francisco hills.

Thank you for sharing your story, because it gives me hope. I am one of the unruptured, close in age to you and fearful. Best wishes for future decades of joy surrounded by your beloved family.

Thanks for your post! I was diagnosed in the fall; after discussions with my local neurosurgeon and the dr at UCSF, they both said I could wait 6 months and have it re-scanned, but after only a couple of months of living with it, I knew I wanted it out. Are you monitoring it or scheduled for removal? If you ever want to chat more, I am available.

Nancy...congratulations...you were/are blessed...amd, I am so glad to read more of the success of a craniotomy...and, yes, I do know others who have not had the success level of yours...so I am practical in my thoughts...

There is the one renowned (right word?) neurosurgeon @ UCSF...

Nancy,

I just went for a second opinion and was informed that before it could be given I would need an angiogram, which I scheduled for later this month. Unfortunately, my aneurysm is 8mm on the ACOM so it is a bit too big for monitoring and like you I am not keen to live with it. The first doctor I saw recommended endovascular coiling based on a CT scan with contrast. I expected the second doctor to tell me the same thing based on that scan, so I am a bit dismayed that I have to have an angiogram and perhaps face the possibility of a craniotomy.

Nancy said:
Thanks for your post! I was diagnosed in the fall; after discussions with my local neurosurgeon and the dr at UCSF, they both said I could wait 6 months and have it re-scanned, but after only a couple of months of living with it, I knew I wanted it out. Are you monitoring it or scheduled for removal? If you ever want to chat more, I am available.

Mine didn’t qualify for a coiling because it was more like a bulge rather than a balloon. I know that coiling is supposed to be less risky and less invasive, but in this site I have seen people having to go back in for another coiling. I had angiograms before and after my craniotomy without problems. Mine was on the right carotid abd around 5 mm. Dr Layton at UCSF was excellent as was the other staff. My nurse even went to Pete’s Coffee at 6 am to get me a latte on post op day 2.

Nancy...some patients have had quality coiling...others have almost not survived...or did not survive...and, well documented...thanks for the "name" reminder of Dr. Layton...

Congrats on your 1 year Nancy! I'm 2 yr 3 mo from my craniotomy for an unrupture.

Nancy, you are a woman of wisdom and I hope all the unruptured heed your advice! The two are the Yin and Yang of this phenomena, it’s best to stay balanced :). And a walk around The City, I envy you! My favorite places are Mt Tam and the Muir Woods, thanks for the memories. May you have a year of growth and lots of hugs!