One monthnafter open craniotomy

I posted a while back about how anxious I was about my upcoming open craniotomy. I got great responses but of course still anxious. Originally I was supposed to have it done April 30th. They were about to make the fiirst incision when something on the EKG made the anesthesiologist call it off. So disappointing to wake up and think it was over only to find out it wasn't done. I had a cardiac cath done and it showed my heart was fine. I wasnrescheduled to May 14th. All went smoothly. I ddid need some pain meds but not much. A month later I getna bit dizzy at times and my right ear has a bit of diminished hearing. This is likely due to the fact the artery that is supposed to go over the eye acttually went under so it was a bit different.

I went home in two days. The night I got home was my son's prom so I got to see him and his date. I missed my daughter's college graduation butmsaw it on facetime and she came home so I could see her in her cap and gown. I made it to my son's high school graduation last Sunday.

It's definitely frightening but now that it's done I can say it was not bad. I've had several hand surgeries that were much worse. I feel very blessed as they said it wouldn't have lasted much longer as it was so thin.

Wow that is wonderful, you were home in two days and out of the house in less than a month. I am scheduled for my clipping at the end of August/middle of September and am nervous and hate the waiting. How long was you operation. I am told my Neurosurgeon scheduled 7-8 hours and I will be in intensive care for 2 days and not sure how long in the hospital. I pray I feel as good as you do.

I found my Annie by accident, dizzy spells that apparently have nothing to do with the annie according to the Dr. I feel fine so am hoping that I feel find afterward too.

Definitely an scary thing and so glad you came through it so well. Can I ask how old you are and your health prior to surgery?

Thanks

Brenda

Brenda, my craniotomy and clipping was done this past October. I’m doing great, just slight dizzy, memory issues and ADD feeling but that could be due to age, 51, haha! My surgery was about 4 1/2 hours. It was do e on a Wed and I went home on Saturday, stayed in ICU the whole time. I was at Methodist Hostpital in San Antonio. I can’t say enough wonderful things about my stay, ICU room was large, all my friends and family were welcome all day, kindest nursing staff and all were concerned about my well being! Not to forget my surgeon I was blessed to be sent to! Praying your surgery goes great, waiting is nerve wracking for sure!

Congratulations! That is such a good report. Mine was similar in some respects, particularly that it's amazing to feel pretty good after something like that; and such a relief to know there's not something on the verge of bursting in there anymore.

How wonderful and blessed to have had such a great recovery and outcome!

Brenda,

I know it won't ease your worry, but it wasn't bad. I am almost 52 and mine was found by accident. Kinda creepy but I kept having a recurring dream where my mom would come to me and say, 'Get that taken care of.' I couldn't figure it out. After two months of tthat, I was making a pot of coffee for the morning and as I went to lift the pot to pour in the water I had an extreme tremor in my left arm and leg. My vision got a bit cloudy and it all stopped as soon as I put the pot down. My doctor said to go to the ER in case it was a weirdmseizure after coming off Neurontin. It wasn't. Th. DoD

ey found the aneurysm and I made an appointment with one of the best neurosurgeons. They found it in October and I couldn't see him until January and the original surgery date of 4/30.

My health has not been great. I have high blood pressure. I had gained sixty pounds and I smoked. I am a single mom of 4 and take care of my dad who is 86 and blind and in bad health. I was terrified. They originally said 2 nights in ICU and 3-4 days on a regular floor. IMy surgery was supposed to take up to 6 hours but it got done in under four despite my artery being anatomically in the wrong spot.

I was motivated to get out for my son's prom and daughter's graduation though I couldn't go. I used tons of ice in the hospital and in the first few days at home and I think it made a big difference. I did not experience any real fatigue once I got home, though I've been kind to myself. I'm waist deep in laundry but who cares? I do get a little dizzy once in a while. And I have a weird mild pain in my jaw and some diminished hearing ut they believe that will all resolve. Even if it doesn't I feel so blessed it was caught before it ruptured. Ihonestly believe my om was trying to warn me in my dreams. The thing I find most annoying is the scab on the incision. Even now there's some scabbing to fall off. I was concerned how much hair they would take, but at my preop appointment he showed me where they would shave and I had my hair dresser put in some long layers so no one could tell, unless I pull my hair back (which I only do at the gym.) Now I have to get rid of the sixty pounds menopause dropped on me.

I will keep you in my prayers

Brenda,

I just wanted to ask do you have any specific worries? My primary care was very helpful. I also was able to talk to a woman my sister worked with who had the same surgeon for two aneurysms, one ruptured and one not. I told my surgeon to feel free to give my number to anyone if they wanted to hear my experience.

Do you have kids or a job to get back to? Do you have a husband to help. My kids really pulled together and my siser was a great help. (And soon it will be my turn to help her as she wasmdiagnosed with breast cancer two weeks ago.)

I had mine clipped 2 years ago. I still have another one they are "watching". I feel blessed as well as mine was caught by accident during an MRI for a benign tumor I also have in my head (watching that also). But my surgeon said the same thing. Actually he told my husband that the walls were very thin. I'm sure I probably wouldn't have lasted too much longer. Still don't have my usual energy and have headache or head shooting pain periodically a few times a week if not every day. When that happens I think that the other Annie burst, but I know thats not it. I'm glad to be alive and work and play with my 5 grandchildren and see them grow. Each day is really a blessing. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Thank you all for the replies they are encouraging and I am feeling better toward the end of the week. I had my pre opt on Monday and the nurse said now I could go within 3 months which I new but it felt like I could go any day and I realized a was more freaked than I thought. I later found out that I am still not scheduled until late Aug to mid Sept so knowing a time frame helps.

I have family, a 21 year old daughter who will help and a great partner who will be there for me also. He lives close by and I may just stay at his house at first. I do work full time and plan on being off 2-3 months.

I am in relatively good shape, could loose 10-15 pounds and I walk or go to a gym quite a bit so I am hoping I will come out healthy on the other end. I just don't have a lot of energy, I never have and I am afraid I will want to stay in bed after the operation longer than I should. I am going to try and get myself moving early on though.

Thank you all for concern, it is truly helpful. I went to a support group here in Halifax and met a girl who has had 3 annies clipped and she has 2 more that they are watching so we have had coffee once and are doing it again. She is a great help too so I am blessed. It is just weird when the sick one is you........

Brenda

Brenda, it is weird when the sick one is you. As a mom of four, I had worked full-time, took care of my mom when she wasmdying in 2006, and now take care of my 86-year old dad. I retired last year due to the loss of my thumb joint. I had been in great shape but got out of my routine when I was having all my hand surgeries. It sounds like you're in pretty good shape and have a good plan. I have good kids but they can bicker withneach other. I told them ifmthey were fighting with each other, I would go to my sisyer's. But they really did grat. A month in and I think they're expecting me to be back to a hundred percent. I don't have lots of energy and I heard yo sleep a lott but honestly, I'm not sleeping any extra at all. I did make a real effort to eat healthy the first few weeks with lots of protein and I think that and the ice packs really helped. I do have some lingering issues but not anything too bad. I'm glad you were able to meet in person with someone. I know when I talked to my sister's coworker it helped a lot.

Thank you for your post. This is very helpful. I am scheduled for surgery July 18th. I am happy to hear your recovery seems to be progressing very positively.