Numbness in hand?

Hi!! I had an anuerysm clipped 6 months ago and now I have had numbness/tingling in my pinky and ring finger down my palm for over a week. I know I need to get it checked out but I am trying to determine what kind of doctor to go to??? Or if its a normal side effect???

Hi Nicole...I remember when you were going for your clipping...glad you posted your problem with us...I donot know if it is normal or not...but I feel you should be seen by a Neurologist. They can help with day to day healing from your clipping and situations like numbness, etc., ~ find one that works for you...~ keep us posted...~ Colleen

The numbness, tingling sound like nerve pain. Before a treatment plan evolves, you need to find out what is causing it. It could even be from your elbow (I had that with tennis elbow once, which surprised me).

I think Colleen's suggestion of starting with a neurologist (or whomever you see at your neurosurgeon's office) is a good one. At least you could have peace of mind. I have had severe back problems with nerve pain down one leg and hip from my endovascular surgery (I think the way I was moved after surgery during the 2 days I was in NICU and had to lay in one position). I have seen orthopedic doctors for several problems, including hand pain years ago, and received cortisone shots in the area that was injured, which usually ended the pain and tingling (except for my back where the injection did not work).

Good luck, I hope you get some relief soon. Sherri

I also have numbness and tingling in my pinky and ring finger. I told my neurologist and he said it was a pinched nerve either my radial nerve or from my neck. I have an EMG scheduled to see which. He gave me anti-seizure meds for it. I have no idea why he gave me the gabapentin. I tried taking it and it does not make the numbness/tingling go away. If you have a neuro Dr, I would go to him. Good Luck, and let us know what you find out.

I really hope I don’t have to go back on the seizure medication, I had the worst experiences with it. I was worse than a bipolar person crossed with a schizophrenic… But It is getting worse day by day so I know I need it checked out… Once they find what nerve it is how will they treat it???

He will try physical therapy first, then steroid injections, surgery as a last resort. I have had enough surgeries, I hope we don't have to go that route.

My appointment was scheduled for September 30th, but UTMC called and said they had a cancellation for today and offered me the appointment. Since I don't have a follow-up appointment with my neurologist until October, the Dr that did the one part of the test said he would tell me what he thought. He said he thought it was a pinched nerve in my elbow from resting it on a hard surface....like you would if you talked on the phone for a long time. Well I am not sure about what it said but I am sure mine is not from talking on the phone. First, I don't talk that long and secondly, I am right handed and hold the phone in my right hand and it is my left hand that is having the problem. This Dr has never seen me and doesn't know anything about my history, so I will wait and see what my neurologist says. I did start to get some weakness in my right hand (not the same as the tingling and numbness in the left). If that gets worse, I may give the neurologist a call and move my appointment up a bit. I just wanted to let you know what they have said about it so far. Have you had time to get an appointment yet?

Gabapentin (or Neurontin) is the med they normally use for nerve pain. They had to up my dosage several times - my nerve pain, tingling, etc. went away after that. I think she started me on 100 mg, then went to 300 mg. A friend of mine has a nerve disorder and she takes 400 mg 4 times a day for her pain.

I no longer take it because the nerve pain went away.

Hi Nicole,

I have parathesia - numbness in my left side of face, arm and down my left leg for many years now. Thats why they found my annie. My neurologist tried me on three different types of anti-seizure tablets before we found one that I can handle. One of them really changed my personality to be pretty arguementitive. Never again. But the one I am on now is fine. Handles the migraines and protects the brain. Hope it is your elbow like the others said. cheers V.