Normal in the new normal?

So I've noticed a pattern. It's almost a year since my clipping and I'm doing very well. I finally extended my driving range to 45 miles from home last week and I didn't get dizzy. But the pain in my neck triggered a bit so I was out most of the afternoon with heating pad and dazed. I don't mind. I finally drove further and hopefully will soon be able to visit my Mama again.

But there's an odd thing happening. If I get angry, worried, or scared (as in if someone jumps out at me) I feel a surge of adrenalin(?) rush to my head. It leaves me feeling a bit dazed and tired. And depending on how angry or worried I was, my face will swell by evening. I have a 16 year old who is a really good kid. But sometimes he acts like a teen (go figure) and he irks me. This time it was homework stuff. I didn't think I was too angry but by 2 a.m. half my face, temple, eyebrow, and inner ear were swollen. I spent all of yesterday having a hard time hearing. Curious I rested and was all zen yesterday. By night fall the swelling had gone down. This makes the 5th time it's happened.

So is it a coincidence the swelling only happens with these emotions? Does this happen to anyone else? The swelling is usually along my cut line which goes from behind my left ear, over and across my head to mid forehead. I told the family I'm moving to a monastery.

Oh I know my answer. Quit getting angry or worried. :)

Hi harlylena, what I seem to be learning from this site is that we all seem to have our own "new normal". Some may share your exact symptoms while some will have different ones.

It's been 2yrs for me and I still find that when I have to think very hard for long periods of time (which happens quite a bit since I work as a data analyst) that my head will start to hurt, especially on the left side where I had my clippings.

I think we just all have to find ways of dealing with it and be more accepting of ourselves :)

((hugs))

What would Friday be like without a discussion from Harlylena...?

I wasn't clipped so I don't have an answer for the swelling...sorry I can't contribute dear...but isn't there a saying "boys will be boys"...lol...Breathe...Namaste my Dear ~ and a Happy Friday ~ Colleen

Harly...

What has your doctor(s) explained to you?

If visible swelling occurs...where does it begin inside? The "source"...?

Who prescribed heating pad?

Were there any option(s) of switching in half hour ranges from heat, to none, to cold...etc ?

As for your teen-age son...parent members will likely share experiences...

Hope you will share if you gain full control of your anger / worries...we have had other members address their emotions/changes...

Lol sorry yep I am ‘talking’ too much here. I don’t want to give the impression I’m always angry. These are tiny moments of teeth grinding frustration. But I guess 5 times in a year isn’t too bad. I think I find it fascinating. When I was working I’d hear how stress and anger could badly affect the body but I don’t think I really believed it. I figured it’s an emotion. But now I see physical proof.

I’m chalking it up to one of those new things that are now part of me. Like the new fascination with finances. I’ve never been fond of math but now I’m intrigued by finances.

Lena,

you are NOT talking too much and you're not conveying an 'angry-bird' persona by any means! lol!

I've too noticed swelling around the outline of my craniotomy scars, like they get puffy and kinda tender sometimes (and its been some years since i've had em....15 years on the left and 7 years on the right ) not to say they hurt to the touch or anything, but I know they're there...usually happens when i'm stressed out (or at least that's when i've noticed it) ...not quite to the degree that you described though, that has got to be a little frightening I would think ! (But then I think that being intrigued by math/finances is way frightening too--lol)

Harly...no I did not think you were always angry...

I am the big promoter (nagger?)...that we should all be covered w/data on the limbic system... and, its connection to our pituitary, and all the inter-related cranial nerves, etc... If ONE of our 6000+ members step forward sharing what their neuro-docs explained to him/her...I will likely have a massive faint (black-out/syncope)...Hey, I have no expertise...yet so dilbertonian...

Pat