Newly (maybe) diagnosed

So far I have had an MRI and MRA- in ER Mon night. Thursday I will have a repeat MRI with and without contrast, a CTA and an EMG of left arm. I also have terrible TMJ- not sure how that plays into all of this. My neurologist was very nonchalant about the MRI findings and said we could do EMG for arm numbness etc- but wouldn’t repeat MRI until next year. Thankfully the ER doc set up an appointment for me to see a neurosurgeon the next day and he seemed to better understand that it’s not every day a person is told they have an aneurysm-- he did say that often times the small ones turn out to be false positives— but he didn’t just say come back next year.

It feels good to be able to write this down. Haven’t so told anyone in the family- don’t want to upset them for no reason.

Liam,
I agree 100%. I already carry a folder with lab results- etc- I have too much work to do- guess I have no choice but to slow down and get these tests done. What’s your story?

Oh yeah - haven’t had CTA yet- that’s Thursday -Follow up with neurosurgeon next Monday.

Glad the ER doc gave you the Neurosurgeon referral, as there is nothing more hair raising than a diagnosas of 'brain anuerysm'--Sure the Neuroligist may have been nonchalant--its not him who has the annie! Ask the Neurosurgeon for the Gold Standard in tests, which would be an Angiogram with COntrast, it has far greater capabilities and is designed for viewing the arteries in finer detail. An MRA with contrast is very good, but the angiogram is by and far considered to be the best tool really. Hope you're able to get all this figured out, peace, Janet

You really need to see a Neurosurgeon and they most likely will do an angiogram (considered gold standard test for brain aneurysm)...The Neurosurgeon is the one that usually determines the plan of action and the Neurologist takes care of "day to day" (headaches, numbness, etc.,)...

I often wonder when those Medical professionals that act like Brain aneurysm is nothing...how they would feel if their mother, wife, daughter, son were diagnosed...the best plan is finding these before rupture...

~ Wishing you well ~ Colleen

Sheila,

I am so glad that you posted this in the forum. 8 mos after my clipping surgery in May last year I had an MRA and the radiologist noted a new 2mm aneurysm in the radiology report. I had a follow up MRA in December. My neurosurgeon's assistant told me that she met with my neurosurgeon and that he said this may in fact be another aneurysm forming, but may also be a strange bend in the artery. She told me that he is not worried about it at this time, but will have me back in a year for more imaging to see if anything changes. I am hoping to have a Cerebral Angiogram rather than an MRA or CTA. Just as others have commented - it is the gold standard test to get much better imaging. I am not sure if you are aware of the Cerebral Angiogram - but is is a procedure where they enter in the femoral artery at the groin and go up into the brain. It uses x-ray technology and gets very good images from different angles of every vessel and artery in the brain. I would imagine that your neurosurgeon will order this after he gets the results from your tests on Thursday if he feels that he needs better images. You may want to ask about the Angiogram at your next appointment, as well. It will certainly give you a better idea of what you are facing.

God Bless,

~ Carol

P.S. - Please keep us posted :)

hi shella! was nice to meet you on chat yesterday, i'm a little confused as to what landed you in the er, you mentioned arm pain was there headache too? i hope they get you sorted out soon, let us know when you get the results,tc

Carol,
Thank you for sharing your story. Dr. She’d den mentioned that an angiogram might be in order-one week from today I should have a better understanding.

Ron,
Hi- sorry I chatter lots sometimes and leave out details- I have been experiencing pain in my left shoulder blade-heaviness in left arm and tingling in my left hand off and on for a couple weeks. I have high BP and cholesterol so I made an appointment with my cardiologist. He was pretty sure I just have a pinched nerve, but with my prior vertebral artery dissection and it was 5pm before saw me- he decided rather safe than sorry and sent me over.

Shecoke...welcome...

Interesting that you note TMJ...when did it begin?

RE: TMJ...you may want to research the trigeminal (CN 5) nerve and TMJ... There are others of us who have gone thru TMJ...often much earlier than an aneurysm showing up... and, it is not commonly addressed by docs...

It is a miracle your ER did the initial MRI/A...only wonder why another MRI/A will be done so soon vs a change in equipment...i.e. CTA or the Arterigraphy...just my limited curiosity based on rsearch I have done...I certainly have no expertise in any of this...

Prayers for your upcoming tests and the results...

Pat

Hi Pat- I’m going to try to stay focused- lol
I have had TMJ for a long time- just started wearing night guard a few years ago. I also have sleep apnea.
My cardiologist sent me over to the ER and advised the attending of my 2008 Left Vertebral Artery Dissection.
My neurologist is convinced I just have a pinched nerve-- checking into a new neurologist. He did order an EMG/NVC (?)- that will be at 830am- oh joy. Thanks for taking the time to talk to me

Carol
Somehow I deleted your question about blood pressure before I could read it all- basically my BP has been well controlled with medicine for the last 20 years- sometimes it feels like I am trying to do everything I should and it still doesn’t help- I have never smoked- drink socially and help little old ladies across the street-- ok the last part was just for fun but Geez- can a girl catch a break? I was also unable to have kids-- no reason- just unexplained infertility per the fertility expert. We are catholic and opted to not go the IVF route. Oh well- could be worse.