New here advice wanted and appreciated

A year and a half ago a 2.5mm aneurysm was discovered at the a2-a3 juncture of my anterior communicating artery. It was small and the doctors didn’t think much of it, so neither did I. Just assumed it was not doing much of anything, and would either not grow or grow slowly as aneurysms are apt to do. I researched a lil bit just to put my mind at ease, and came to the conclusion that I could have this for life without any issues at the size it was at. Yesterday I went to the ER (tried to do urgent care but they weren’t having it) for some weird head thing. (Feels like someone is squeezing my carotid arteries and resticting blood flow to my head at random times throughout the day for the last 3 days and I have a constant low level headache) and they did a CT scan. My aneurysm is now 5.5mm so it grew 3mm in the last year and a half, which wasn’t good news, and upon researching afterwards…not a very typical growth rate. So they sent me home with a referral to a neurosurgeon and I need to call and schedule a surgery consult when they open on Monday morning. My blood pressure is high (150/100 range) also, so I feel like a ticking bomb, and at the same time I am petrified of the surgery/recovery/potential complications. Since I am at the very beginning of this adventure, I wanted advice from people who have been through this. Like what did you wish you knew or wish someone had told you at the beginning? Any advice about anything concerning this would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Welcome again Mandy! Seems like a pretty significant growth rate. Since I ruptured, I wish I had known I had a brain aneurysm prior to the rupture. I truly believe it would have been better to get it repaired before hand. Can you do anything to control your blood pressure? I found this https://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/prevent.htm and this 10 ways to control high blood pressure without medication - Mayo Clinic

Wishing you the best of health!

1 Like

Ive been trying to eat healthier, drink lots of water, started exercising, and got some magnesium supplements. Doing what I can I guess but its not been helping much. Of course now I’m stressed about not making it to my surgery before something happens and stressed about the surgery itself so thats not helping I’m sure.

Try relaxation breathing in your skill set. What I have done before every procedure is allow myself x amount of time to acknowledge and focus on it and then get on with my life. As you may have read, I also get my House and house in order. Which for me, means attending to my spiritual beliefs and all the mundane chores both inside and out as I know I’ll be down for a few days if not longer after the procedure.

1 Like

Hi, just read your post. I had the same size but mine ruptured. Feel lucky they have found d it and can fix it before a bleed to the brain. I am living with the complications of a rupture - 5 years later. Keep strong x

1 Like

Definitely get scheduled with a neurosurgeon. My 5 mm basilar aneurysm was found last October during an MRI for tinnitus. In 4 weeks I will be having a coiling procedure done and hopefully it will “close off” the aneurysm in a few months. I really never considered not having the procedure because where mine is located is a higher rate of rupture and lower rate of survival. Your neurosurgeon will give you your options. I’m in Colorado and will be traveling to Denver to University of Colorado stroke and brain aneurysm center.
I always feel better after speaking with my docs. Good luck.

1 Like

Hi Mnmandy, I had a ruptured aneurysm about 3 years ago and they put a WEB Device in mine. The worst part is the headaches after the rupture and then the surgery. It took about 4 months until they went away. I am still on the recovery road. Good Luck in your journey.

1 Like

Mandy,

Welcome to BAFsupport!

I’ve got something a little different from you in my brain – it’s called an arteriovenous malformation – but it presents the same risks as an aneurysm: i.e. rupture. I live in the UK where healthcare is free but you have to wait in a queue. I had to wait several months from seeing the neurosurgeon for the first time through to having an embolisation procedure and I was convinced my AVM was changing rather rapidly, so I can definitely relate to how you are.

I did two main things to help me while I waited:

1. I bought myself a medical bracelet that set out who I was, where I was being seen, my hospital ID, my condition, some words like “In case of seizure or stroke, dial 999” and my wife’s mobile phone number.

2. I kept my mind busy with a small project. I decided that it needed to be something that required me to think properly, not a project that leaves your mind free when doing it.

I’d say these things helped me to feel safer: if I was found in the street in trouble, I felt they would more likely call an ambulance straight away and perhaps get me to the neurosurgery practice. And the project sort of worked: it gave my mind something to stay busy with rather than just thinking about the frightening stuff.

I’ve avoided a stroke and I got through the embolisation nicely. It took a loooong time to feel right post op but actually, I felt it was much more gettable-throughable than I worried about. Worrying about the unknown is a big part of this, I feel.

I hope something here might help :heart:

Richard

2 Likes

Mandy,
I had an aneurysm rupture about 1 1/2 years ago. I would tell you that the procedure used to fix this just blew my mind!! They went in through a vein in my wrist - literally covered with a band-aid! I can only imagine that the recovery after having this done pre-rupture is much easier than after. Take comfort in the fact that the detection and treatment of these has progressed so much! Ask lots of questions (write a list as you think of them) , bring someone with you to dr. visits to make notes too, in a notebook dedicated to this. Good thing you went to the ER to get it check out – give yourself some credit! A quick ER visit is very important with these issues.

Just thought of another question - as I am not familiar with all the brain anatomy - you should probably ask if this is located in a spot where, if there were a rupture, would the blood touch the brain? That is a very important distinction. My neuro said, the brain does not like to have blood on it - it is not made for that.

1 Like

Please get it taken care of before a rupture happens. Mine ruptured at 5.5mm. I was in the hospital for 6 weeks. The 1st 3 I have no recollection of. I had to have multiple eye surgeries to remove the blood off my optic nerves. I was off work for 3 months. Returned to part time work for 6 mos then went back full time. I had no idea I had any aneurysms. They found 2 more and those have also been taken care of. My step son had a 10mm one behind his right eye. It was found on a mri for something else. He had coiling and a stent. Was overnight in the hospital and returned to full time work after only 1 week. Best of luck to you!

2 Likes

A2-A3 juncture of the anterior communicating artery. Its in the pericollosal region of the brain and thats all I know.

Good advice. They had me in right away to try to coil it, but its too complex so its on to clipping…in like 3-4 weeks. Scary waiting, and scary going in too.

1 Like