Neuro Consult Is Today! Did My Smoking Cause This?

I am going to see Dr. Barrow at Emory today. I am hoping he will make a decision about the course of treatment. I will have to fess up and tell him that I have been a smoker for 30 + years. I'm talking one or two cigs/day combined with intense exercise and healthy eating and high cholesterol that has been treated with Statins for a while. No high blood pressure. No family history of annies. So, It has to be the smoking, right? So stupid. I am hoping he will let me use Nicotine gum to wean. Still smoking one per night. Does anyone have a similar story?

Thanks,

Susan

Hi Susan, I asked that same question when I was diagnosed. I was told that while there's really no way to tell what caused it or how long you may have had this, smoking isn't good. If you have thin veins in your head nicotine build up can lead to an aneurysm. Don't beat yourself up about it though. You could have been born with it and did nothing to contribute to it. You also have no idea if any family members had one. If they didn't rupture or weren't found by tests you would never know.

Just be thankful that it was found and that it's so treatable nowadays. Staying positive is the best course of action. I wish you all the best!

Valerie

Hi! I had a ruptured aneurysm in January of this year. My neuro is ADAMANT that my smoking caused this. I forced myself to quit although it is hard and I must admit I have had a few here and there. Stay strong, I know it isn't easy!!! I miss smoking alot but I know overall it is best I stopped even if it wasn't really by choice. I just have to tell myself that I was given this wonderful second chance at life and I can't blow it!

Hi Susan...No one knows what causes Brain aneurysm's...what they do know ... is smoking can cause it to rupture...and other complications...for ie., I quit smoking 10 years ago...My Neuro~surgeon told me if I ever go back to smoking esp after coiling, don't come back to him...harsh, but the truth...

I do hope you can quit eventually...it is a very tough addiction...but you sound like you are really working towards it...and that you should be proud...don't get down on You...Cyber~thoughts your way ~ Colleen

i thought so but mine i was told was from birth. i also was in a abusive relationship. very hard to tell .

hi Susan! i don't think smoking a few a day would have much of an impact-i'm guessing jogging or power walking in the city would be as bad if not worse due to pollution, i'm sure your dr barrow will agree-if not i will have a little talk with him--lol. What i'm wondering is all the years when i was a baby -all the second hand smoke-im sure dad smoked in the house and in the car since people were oblivious to the dangers in the 50's 60's-just imagine all that second hand smoke in a babies still developing brain for generations- My dad was raised in his grandparents inn-imagine all that smoke,cigars. ironically thats what was listed as his cause of death-tobacco. he smoked camel non filters-hard core-i guess he was lucky to make it to 84 yrs- anyway let us know what the good dr says, thanks for posting- this is very interesting & don't beat yourself up(i do it too)(im blaming my forefathers)

The last cigarette I had was the day my aneurysm ruptured. I have smoked on and off for 35 years. 5 Years on 5 years off or close to it. My cousin, who is close to my age never smoked in her life. Yet they found her on the kitchen floor with a ruptured aneurysm. We both survived, yet her recovery was much more difficult than mine. My niece takes care of a special needs child whose aneurysm ruptured when she was 2 years old and has severe deficits.

I am sure smoking doesn’t help aneurysms and in fact causes many health problems. But to say with any certainty that yours was caused by smoking simply isn’t realistic. Don’t beat yourself up over it, but do quit smoking.

Hello.

I had an aneurysm, but had never smoked didn't have hypertension and no family history. I did have the menopause risk factor though! Research says aneurysms are much more common in smokers, so it would be wise to stop.

Oh, and Doctors can identify smokers from their facial appearance, so they usually know even if you don't confess!

Judith

Hello Susan, hope you're ok.

Smoking weakens the artery walls, that's what I was told.

My annies are hereditry , try not to beat your self up. No one really knows what causes them.

Have a good day

Love Nikki xx