Need your opinion: after an angiogram

Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask everyone how they felt in that interim period betweenness angiogram and surgery.

After being told I was a watch and wait I’ve now been rushed in for an angiogram and been told I need treatment. Good news is that I’m a candidate for coiling. Only thing is this is been in the space of a week and a half.

I wanted to know how everyone felt in the period between recovering from the angiogram, making your decision and the operation. I’m feeling very emotional, quite down and getting snappy at people. I think it’s tough because although they are physically there they almost forget you’re sick as they can’t see it. I’m getting frustrated with my partner because I almost think he forgets about it .

What is your story/ thoughts?

Thanks guys x

It was odd for me. I have a tendency to over research, over analyze and over worry. When I was told I had the aneurysm I figured it was that the guy who read my scans was hungover from the night before and had made a mistake. I was expecting the angiogram to confirm this guys' partying habits. But instead I was told I definitely had one and coiling was now off the table due to the aneurysm's shape. (I should have apologized to the guy for thinking badly about him). But instead of doing my normal over 'everything' I became oddly quiet. I cried once. I didn't research. I knew nothing about aneurysms, clipping, craniotomies, etc.. I packed my bags and had my husband drive me to New Mexico. I needed peace (I think I was in denial). When I felt the fear building I took a peek online and found a nurse's blog who described what to expect the day of a craniotomy. It meant nothing to me and I scanned it fast so as not to get scared. The only thing that stuck with me was that I might hear sounds in my head after surgery but not to worry as it was just trapped air and would go away. I thought that was funny. That was it. For all I knew a craniotomy meant my whole head was coming off. As I got closer I started to feel scared and I started meditating alot and sleeping with meditation music. The day of surgery my Mama, husband and sisters came with to the hospital. I had bought each of them a small little angel which I put in a little bag with a note that said not to worry that I would be back. They looked so horrified and my heart ached for them. I teased and kidded until it was time to go. I gave them their little angels and waved goodbye. Told them I would be back to pester them even more (I'm the youngest). I don't know why I was so hands off with the whole thing but it turns out it was what kept me sane. I don't think your partner is forgetting about it. He's probably trying to wrap his head around this whole thing. I know my family had no idea what to expect. They, and I, thought oh in 6 weeks I'll be good as new. Anyway, sorry for the book and hugs to you.

Hi Bloomsie,

My aneurysm was found on a Cat scan for something else. While there was urgency to come back, have the angiogram, meet with doctor, have doctors review my case, the actual coiling was not scheduled until after the doctors' vacations! Although I shared with my immediate family, I was glad people did not think of me as sick. I tried to go about my life as normal.

On the other hand, I stopped listening to news in the car, and rather to music with which I could sing or hum along. I was fortunate at the time that my daughter's twins were infants, so I tried to help out as much as possible.

Can't say that this philosophy took my mind of the big day, but I think it helped and I hope it helped you. I thank God that the coiling method was developed, as needless to say, recovery is far less severe. I've had angiograms at 6 months, 1 year, and 18 months. Then at 2 years I had the MRA and told not to come back until 2017....So best of luck, and I would suggest trying to enjoy the moment.

XO

Short story is that we deferred surgery on my right PCA aneurysm 19 years ago after a second opinion from Mayo Clinic. We subsequently tried a coiling intervention a few years later which was stopped mid-procedure because neurological impact was so severe. But each person is unique medically and I would not say you should discontinue proceeding with the coiling. Just to let you know there is one person out there who has been watching and waiting nearly two decades. I finished my career, had a retirement job in retail for ten years, and have been blessed with seeing our three children marry and provide a total of ten grandchildren during that 19 year stretch! Sometimes watching and waiting does work out for the best.

Bloomsie, it’s not going to be easy but believe you’re better off having the coiling asap. I was diagnosed through CT in July and had to wait two months for coiling. The angiogram was done a day before the operation and showed a second aneurysm. that meant another month of going crazy and stressed. I wish I could have had both coilings done in a week from diagnosis… As for your partner, yes he doesn’t understand. All the more because these interventions have niw become kind of routine so it’s not like cutting your head open… But even if it seems easier, they don’t know what we go through psychologically, the shock from the diagnosis of having a ticking time bomb in your head, the not knowing what to expect from surgery etc etc… They cannot know unless they experience it themselves. But the day you’re in the OR be sure he’ll be super worried and overanxious… While you’ll be sleping :wink: anyway I wish you a successful and uneventful coiling as were mine! And keep us posted!

So hard to be patient and graceful under such duress. Each person's situation is so very different. Is a second opinion in the cards? A reasonable thought? Sometimes conformation is settling and sometimes hearing a different approach can offer you options. I kept reminding myself that my husband and I were the only people with my best interest at heart. Dr.'s are people, too. They can make mistakes, work from their best judgment - end of the day we were the only people with my best interest motivating and shaping decisions. Best of luck.

Hi Bloomsie, Probably those who had an aneurysm rupture really cannot relate to your experience. We didn't know my wife had a problem until it ruptured, and then everything happened toward the goal of survival. So, though it was a tough experience, we were blessed to the extent of not being able to think about it ahead of time. My opinion, however, is that you are in a good position to have the aneurysm fixed now. That should encourage you to go ahead because the brain doesn't react well to having blood on it. Probably most people don't really understand--we certainly didn't at all before our experience. Sometimes it seems like you are alone in this, but everyone on this site is pulling for you with some measure of understanding. Go for it!

Hi Bloomsie,

You've already heard great advice from a number of folks. I'll simply say that angiograms aren't too big of a deal. Don't let that get to you! You'll be so glad once the coiling is done, and the recovery should be complete with some help from those around you, including this website! My wife is on the same boat with trying to deal with her loved one going through something that's kind of hard to identify. You'll get through it together!

Keep us up to date, and all our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hi! Last Decemeber, found out I had a 5 mm aneurysm. I waited until February to have it coiled.

I was so ready to have it done and know that I no longer had to worry about the aneurysm. Every thing

went great ~ very, very thankful to God for letting the aneurysm be found, because I was having no symptoms from it. I was in the hospital for something minor and it was found.

I wish you the best!!

We have been waiting about six weeks for clipping after my husband’s angiogram showed coiling not possible. His surgery this wed. Definitely an emotional roller coaster and some folks dont understand. This site has helped us to feel supported plus prepare for the future. You are in the right place and just trust your own emotions and rest up for the next phase. Good luck

Hi Bloomsie,

I just wanna wish you all the best!! You will be in good hands… Getting snappy is " normal" Lol!! There is a lot going thru your mind, so hopefully your partner will understand.

Through out my train wreck of an experience, I told myself this too, shall pass.

Keep the faith!

Warm Regards,

Daryl

Based on my angiogram, I faced either clipping or coiling. My surgeon sent my pictures to Toronto, and it was decided the neck of the aneurysm was too large for coiling, so following a craniotomy, he placed two clips on the aneurysm, and I’ve been fine ever since, except for a cerebral spinal fluid leak that kept me in the hospital for 5 weeks. But that was an unexpected complication. Early coiling will probably be a better option. One of my brothers thought the surgery was like a tooth extraction. So I know how you felt. God bless you.

Hi Bloomsie.....I didn't have an angiogram, they just did a cat scan with the dye when they discovered two large aneurisms. I was lucky to have symptoms before they burst as you are. They were both 10mm in size, one of the left and one on the right....up against my optic nerves. They said they wouldn't know if they could be coiled until they got in there but would do it if they could. Things would have been a lot different had they not been able to coil them as you know. Again I was lucky and only had to have them go in the two times to coil each one with platinum wire. Two separate procedures and both turned out great. I go on the 20th of this month for my six month MRA to make sure all looks good in my old bean but other than some blurry lines in my left eye and feeling goofy once in a while (hubby says that is normal for me.....but it isn't :o)) I have been without any major after effects of the surgeries. I was terrified both times because of what COULD happen but all turned out okay so far and I am thinking positive thoughts. It is hard to know that they are still in there but I have to put my faith in the medical profession. I have a very good surgeon obviously and am very thankful to be here feeling almost normal. I do have scary thoughts sometimes but quickly put them out of my mind and thank my lucky stars every day. As for people sympathizing with you....I know what you mean. Because you look perfect, they can't grasp the concept that you have some very scary things in your head. My sweetheart was scared to death when I was going to have the procedures but does tend to forget it now because I am right back at the things I was always doing. I hope and pray the same for you my friend. Muriel Steven

Hi Bloomsie. I totally empathise with how you must be feeling. I had an MCA aneurysm coiled 18 months ago aged 38. I was really scared about the procedure but you find yourself leaning on your faith if you have one. And having immense faith in the expertise of all those professionals who you’re in the hands of. Also trying to rest and relax and look after yourself in the run up is really important. Be kind to yourself. You’re bound to be a bit snappy. It’s okay. It’s totally understandable. Don’t give yourself a hard time. Contrary to the tooth extraction story I wasn’t prepared for the level of exhaustion I felt for a couple of months after the procedure. Following that however, life is great. I have a second aneurysm which they are treating conservatively. It’s learning to live with the unknown and counting my blessings which has made me stronger mentally and physically. Look forward, God bless and try not to overthink things. Much love. Carrie

Hello Bloomsie,

I had colliding of basilar and clipping of MCA. Both were incidental thanks God. The first one was coiling and I had to wait one and a half months between the angio and the coiling. I wanted my family to be with me and it took a while to arrange everything. I remember I was really excited but somehow I was working long hours trying to do as much as I can. Long walks helped me a lot and also I believe in God and that belief helped me a lot both in waiting and then in recovery. I also said to myself since everything is passing that would also pass and I would find myself going back home fully recovered, thanks God I made it. I pray for you and all the others. You have a safe surgery and a great recovery.

Bloomsie,

Sometimes I feel like I am suffering from PSTD because of how my aneurysm were discovered and the fact that my brother died from burst aneurysms. It was a fluke as I have a Eustachian tube dysfunction, and the CT scan that I had was only for that purpose. That being said, I had the angiogram, and it turned out that I had not one but three. So I had two coiled and one we are watching. From my family history, an uncle who died and two cousins who have clippings, I think coiling has been the best treatment. The recovery is short in comparison. I am good now. It is almost one year since my coiling. I will have angiogram in December to check on everything, but I expect that all will be well. When you talk with those that do not have aneursym, they cannot understand you feel. So I can only say to you that coiling is a good procedure, and you will feel greatful that they, annies, will no longer threaten your life. I am still taken aback that this has happened to me, but I am at peace because I had the coiling. I was very emotional, but now I remind myself of how blessed that I am that I did not suffer from a rupture.

Bloomsie, nice to meet you, I’m a newbie here. I had cooling done nearly 2years ago in answer to a burst. I was not conscious and have so few memories of the procedures, I can only imagine what you must be going through. I hope you can focus on relaxing and breathing so you’ll be less anxious. Keep us posted, blessings and best wishes to you. Take care, KD

Mine were found on MRI/MRA… But the same…6weeks wait…everybody around all seemed to think…no big deal. I was completely in shock… Could barely function…just ran on what was habit, I guess. This was 10 years ago. Also had stent/coils… One smaller one is being watched via MRI/MRA every 2 years or so.
My immediate family was there for the first procedure…I think they were anxious. The coils came a few months later…only my husband and son were there and they left right away…I had a bad night… So you might just ask that a family member could hang out for the duration… Just for your own feeling of not being alone.
Am fine…was fine after a few months. I wish you well…keep us all posted.
Is your husband online? You might want to send him a few sites to read over just what’s going on…

Hi Bloomsie, I was just like you 8 years ago!! I had kids who needed me and felt there was no decision to be made but was terrified of the surgery and outcome. My middle son had his 18th Birthday on the day I was admitted for my surgery (so he won't forget it) My youngest (girl) was 14 and very emotional and I felt the need to support her. My outcome was obviously very good and i was able to return to work within 2 weeks. I had some pain and weakness at the angio site for a long time and went on to have some further treatment after 3 years (pipeline stent) but I'm healthy and now am all clear of the aneurysm. No one realises the seriousness of what we have and how scary it is because we appear physically healthy, and technically we are. We just have something that needs fixed urgently. Try to stay positive my lovely and please post after your surgery. XX

Hi. It’s been almost 5 years for me and I was scared. The procedure isn’t bad but I woke from it with a headache in the center of my forehead. It took a few months to go away. I still get headaches but migraine exceed rune seems to work. The wait was the worst I am so glad I had the Stent put in.