Need advice

Having a real hard time with the care he is getting at the rehab place. The staff doesnt call when he falls.or pull his tube out. We have been concerned with infection and cant get answers. We have had meeting with staff but it seems like they just think we are the drama family. Has anyone had ideas on how we can solve these issues. My stepfather is still very confused.on what is going on so bes no help.

Jean-

I am sorry to hear this. Is there a social worker or patient care coordinator on site? If so, I would schedule a meeting with them. A care plan needs to be in place. A written plan of what they should be doing or what your expectations are. Where is the facility located? Maybe if someone is in the area or anyone else can try to find someone you can contact so that he is getting the care he needs.

Terri

Jean...welcome...

I read your intro...I was somewhat amazed...and confused...re: diagnosis... and, quick discharge to a rehab center... w/mention of coiling?...what is the condition of what was an aneurysm?

Was it left unattended? Was it coiled? Was it the newer PED, was a neurosurgeon on hand during the minimally invasive coiling procedure or the attempt of it?

This all sounds as confusing as mine...tho I was placed in coronary care between the purported diagnostic angios and the day of coiling...coded for stents...

Suggest you, your mother, secure the transfer forms from the hospital to the rehab center...Mine contained 12 pages...they can be most difficult to compare from page to page...let alone to the discharge records of the hospital. The transfer records are separate from the discharge records maintained in a patient's file...

You may want to discuss with your mother...??? Also, in your talk w/rehab staff...are you getting to the manager? A friend has a hubby in a center...and, when he fell, they called her instantly to meet at ER...

however, she is unhappy with his eating times...and, will be pursuing that...he is not on tubes...

Blessings for a Merry Christmas...and, for a miracle to come forward...

Pat

Hi Jean,

It sounds to me that there is a need for a lot of re-training of staff and a general level of care that really needs some focus from the management...yet, it could well be the case that this IS the managements fault altogether.

I would think that if at all possible, I'd consider moving your Stepdad to a better qualified facility....If your family is considered "the drama family", then that in itself is a problem -- at least in their eyes--and i don't know if those kinds of attitudes are erased so easily once set in.. I would hope that by talking to and having meetings with the staff things would change for the better, however you've already done that...and you're still not happy...so...!

Hope you and your mom are able to get thru all of this, its got to be really difficult I'm sure.. Also, i echo Pats comments/questions about your stepdads diagnoses--or lack of a diagnoses--and hope that too will be resolved . My best to you ,

Janet

Heres the whole story…Bob left for work on a thursday evening but stopped by the store first. When he got out of his truck he calapsed. 911 was called and he lost consciences on wau to hospital. Wr couldnt figure out y he didnt come home and started calling hospitals. We found him in icu on life support. He had bleeding on his brain and put a drain in as soon as.my mom gave permission. For the next 3 day they did ct scans and could see the spot they believed was the aneurym and took him to have it coiled 3 different time never finding it. They said it must have clotted over. Well we new that this was going to have to work for God to do so I send word out and we started prayer for Bob. By day 7 he started movement and opening his eyes. The went ahead a removed breathing tube and watched the drain continue to fill. He slepted alot and started to swell. He had a blood clot in arm from a port the put.in and were unable to treat it as well. By the 10th day he started to respond skiwlt to yes and no questions. The bleeded stopped and sime swelling came down. Once they removed the tube out of his head the immediately moved him to another floor and was calling my mom to get with the program on finding a rehab place. Less than 24 hours after moving him to a different room his was discharged with no answers and a blood clot still in his arm. Doc just would say they really didnt have answers…but were in awww of his recovery. Prayer works. So my mom found a place and thats when the new nightmares.have started. Bob is doing well. He is in therapy and trying to work on talking and remembering. Hes confused alot but other times he knows what is going on. Bob is determined to get out of the wheelchair because he is very independant. I told him one goal at a time. I am not happy with how the hospital acted.and his primary doc talked with my mom. He has been keeping up on his file. He told my mom that the hospital docs did.not expect him to live…well they were proven wrong.

We are moving him. They forgot to take him down for lunch and dinner yesterday. My mom showed up and wheeled him down to find food. And my.mom wanted.him tested.for a urinaty tract infection and they wouldnt do it because he only has 2 of 3 symptoms. This place needs to be shut down.

I am so very sorry to hear this! Where did this happen? My mother was a rehab/long term care RN since the 70's. She is know an administrator 2nd in charge @ an assisted living home (4k ppl there) wow. If I can help you I will gladly do so:)

Jean....thanks for your response...

Talk more later on...have to get ready to leave soon...started earlier here...and, side-tracked w/phone calls...

Wishing you the best Merry Christmas...

Pat

Couldn't agree more Jean, glad to hear "that's it" for that place. Sounds like a very bad experience indeed.

Your story is very similar to my wife. 47 yrs old march 6th died in my arms at home in 20 minutes of bad headache. Lifeflighted and revived, drain put in, stayed in icu month left to ltac and on april 18th she got sepsis from uti and almost died that day, while back in hospital being treated for sepsis sha had another massive brain aneurysm and was rushed to emergency surgery craniotomy. She survived again but with more damage to her brain. I have not left my wife's side since march 6th. We lived in the hospitals and rehab until July 8th. we were in 4 facilities, 3 of which were horrible. I am a strong christian and give all credit to God for her still being here with me as do her drs. I say never leave a loved one or anyone for that matter in a hospital alone if they can not advocate for themselves. I have prayed and fought and had security called on me and anything else you can think of. All I care about is that my wife is treated with love and respect and dignity as a lady 24/7. My heart goes out to you and prayers for you all. Love Brian

Jean my heart goes out to you. I hope you find a new place for him and he recovers. If anything, what sharing your story has done is opened many eyes to the cold harsh reality that just because someone is in the hands of trained medical professionals, it doesn't mean they are cared for. Your story along with Jims will be read by my husband this evening as I remind him that if something were to happen to me, this could be us. Thank you for sharing and Thank you for informing too!