My story by Caroline Walker

Hi everyone,.

My story begins about 10 years ago when i moved from one house to the next in to a basement. I began getting depressed, i kept working as i had no other choice. After a few months i developed a severe swelling around my right eye, i got an appointment for my new GPelling. I was told to loose some weight (bearing in mind i was 6stone) and to try forget about the swelling. That was on the Wednesday, on the Friday i went to work as usual when my boss saw how bad the swelling was he said he was going to organise transport to the local A+E.

Once at the hospital various people came to see me, after a few hours i'd already seen the eye doctor when he came back to see me, he explained that i had a fistula behind my eye which could be bleeding. I needed surgery and pretty soon, the dr rang work and told them and he also rang my dad who came straight over to the hospital. He wanted me to be admitted to the hospital where i was and then wanted me transfering to the Leeds General Infirmary on the following tuesday morning. I was so scared i didnt want to be in hospital for 4 extra nights before the surgery. I explained to the dr that i lived across the road from the hospital, any chance i could stay at home with my dad. Afterall i had lived for about 4 months with this pain, eventually he said this was ok but he would ring me every hour to make sure i was ok.

I dont remember much of the weekend, its a haze of sleep and pain.

On the Monday dinnertime is was admitted on to a ward at the LGI, the following morning i had my surgery and i had a coil fitted behind my eye. I couldnt believe i was pain free when i woke up, after a few hours i was allowed home.

Everything had been good after surgery for about 4 years, i had regular scans and everything seemed good. About 4 years later i started with pain again, this time it was sin my head not my eye. For about 8 months i was told it was a servere migraine, heres some medication. I was seeing my gp every few days as i felt so bad, he wrote to the hospital and suggested that i needed either an MRI or a CT scan. By this point i was on Oramorph and Tramadol and i was still in so much pain. Everntually i had an MRI scan, a few weeks later i saw a dr at the LGI and he told me everything looked ok. I didnt know what to do, i still had this pain but there was nothing wrong. I carried on seeing my dr time after time, calling the emergency dr through the night to have an injection to stop the sickness so i could take some more medication for my head. I'm not sure how long it took but i got a call out of the blue from the hospital to say there was something on the scan, i was told i had an aneurysm but it shouldnt be causing any pain what so ever. I had more scans which then showed that i had 2 aneurysms now, my consultant wasnt convinced this was what was causing the pain,

I had a few angiograms which showed up more aneurysms, i was now up to 4! About 10 months later i was booked in to have a stent fitted. I went to the hospital and got booked in, i was actually excited about surgery as if it went well i should wake up reasonabally pain free. I dont remember going to sleep, As i came round in the recovery room the nurse was explaining to me that the surgery hadnt worked. I was absolutly gutted, i was told that they would try something else the following month.

Me and boyfriend decieded to go and see his daughter on the coast for a few days, we both always felt better over there, whether it was the sea air or just because we could relax more. Whilst at the caravan i got a phone call to say that more surgery was planned for the week after. Once again i was excited at the thought that this time next week i might be pain free.

Two days later we went to a theme park with the children, the whole time we knew what was going to happen we didnt tell the children. They were too young to know the ins and outs.

We went on every ride and loved it, on the last ride i managed to bang my head in the same place to where the pain was. It hurt but i was so used to pain.

Anyway on the Monday i was admitted to the LGI again, on the tuesday i had surgery and i was pain free when i woke up. Then i realised that i was bleeding from my nose, what's happened?? i asked, during surgery the anethitist had put a themometer up my nose and caused it to bleed. Because id had lots of blood thinners before surgery nothing was working so they called another doctor when proceeded to put a tampon up my nose and said not to take it out for at least another 5 days. Bang went my chances of getting out early, i was also told that the procedure id had had caused another aneurysm in my groin. I had to have bed rest, this was the worst bit for me. I cant sit down for five mins normally. Anyway after a week of been laid down i was allowed to get up. I was so happy i was up and about, the follwong day i was allowed home. It's over two years now since surgery, i have good days and bad days. But im still alive which is the main thing. Anyway i've probablly gone on for too long now,

hi Caroline! Welcome, I'm glad youre here---nooooo not too long- it was an amazing story that needs to be told. Thank you for sharing this amazing story of determination, fortitude. Reading here is great therapy for me since my sah 3 yrs ago. I love your attitude of hope-to be painfree and i pray this for us all. May God Bless!

This happening to me has changed the way i look at life now. My boyfriend has a brain tumour, we've discovered we enjoy indoor rock climbing. About a month ago we were in Thailand and we jumped off Pattaya Park, 240metre drop on a zipwire. Life's too short to hang abour.

Thank you for sharing Caroline ~ Wishing you a good Holiday Season...~

Thank you Colleen, wishing you a good holiday season