My story and why I'm here

Thank you. His team is the Miami Dolphins. We have 2 dogs, Breezy a Yorkie, and Pax, Cavalier King Charles. Caring for them gives him a sense of purpose I think. I let him know how much I appreciate his help. They are Emotional Support dogs and they have been pulling extra duty. I board dogs in our home and he always was so helpful so I have 2 Guests now and I think my asking a bit more for his help helps him in turn. He really is more alert I think. Tell me about Milo if you want. Dan does Draft Picks and between football he watches baseball (Red Sox), basketball and golf. He loves his sports radio show. I tried getting him into podcasts however his attention span and interest don’t last that long. Do you enjoy anything else?

3 Likes

Hello Henry:
I must say you have helped me with an issue I have struggled with since my aneurysm rupture in 2007……I don’t remember getting up that day, getting ready for work and driving to work. Nor do I remember really anything for two weeks. I would just see “flashes” of stuff that happened during that time. I was told I was leading a meeting, got up and left, went to my office, got a trash cash and went to the ladies room when mine burst. Those two weeks that are missing have haunted me, but now I am glad I don’t remember that day or the headache. It took a few years for the headaches to get better. I was in ICU for 23 days and had to learn to walk again. I was so afraid to get in a car to travel to see my family, 5 hrs away……what if my aneurysm burst again (docs put 10 coils in my head). I had to go for follow up angiograms every 6 months, which made me sick for 3 days, which we found out later I was allergic to fentanyl. I am not the same person, even 17 years later……my new normal. Keep in touch with your doctor regarding your headaches. It will get better!!!

3 Likes

Milo is a grey and white fluffy cat when I first got him he was small and sickly, but with a lot of time and love he got better and now he’s a big cat and loves to cuddle up with me. I also love comic books and super hero movies, my personal favorite hero is Spider-Man

1 Like

I’m glad that my story has helped you in some way, I don’t remember the 1st week of my time in the hospital I just remember the pain but I also remember my family being there and supporting me throughout that time. In time my trauma from everything will get easier over time. I’ve learned with our a doubt after all these years from it all is that every second is a gift.

2 Likes

I always say I am grateful to wake up in the morning and put my feet on the floor!!!

3 Likes

Hi Henry - belated welcome. You’ve come to the right place for help and understanding. I’m so sorry for the loss of your uncle.
My SAH was in 2018 in the parking garage of my workplace. My best friend called the ambulance but you haven’t lived until most of your office has come downstairs to see you vomiting while waiting for the ambulance to come.
As someone suggested you might want to see a neurologist for the head pains, etc. I already had one for other issues and he was awesome for explaining to my family and me what had happened and what to expect, etc., etc. My surgeon has done a wonderful job with the initial coilings and subsequent stents on each side but he isn’t very good at listening to any complaints of pain (those shouldn’t be related lol).
All this time later and my multi tasking is still horrible as is my concentration but I’m able to take care of my elderly mother. I keep joking with her that between the two of us we have one working brain.
You talk about your cat, Milo, when I came home from the hospital, the dog I had at the time would not leave my side. Sadie literally crawled up in my bed and attached herself to me throughout the whole time I was at home. It’s amazing how they know you’re sick and want to be there for you. I lost her in 2022.
I bet you’re very happy that the Niners are playing in the Super Bowl. Hopefully, it’s a good game.
It’s all trial and error but the most important thing is to take care of yourself!
I’m out more than I’m in here because of my mom but I’m wishing you all the best.

And OMG @Moltroub I’m so sorry I had no idea about you and the vasospasms, the medication they gave me to prevent them made me sooooooo sick. I finally stopped taking it because I figured I was damned if I did, and damned if i didn’t.

3 Likes

Welcome Henry! So grateful you were able to get the help you needed! This is a wonderful group here. I have been a part of since 2001, when I had my aneurysm and surgery. I trust you find the support you need with us all. Continued Blessingz

3 Likes

Hi Henry
Yes … i now get headaches when it rains and lately with snow ….it seems the more precipitation we get the worse my headache. I pay attention to the weather now just so i can prepare …. I have friends who have had surgeries in the past that claim they ache in those spots with rain so i feel now I’m part of that category lol. For me when i know they are coming i take meds before bed - stay hydrated- get rest
Your not alone

3 Likes

Hi Henry,

Welcome, and congratulations on your achievements, it takes a lot of strength to get to where you’re at. I also had a Subarachnoid Hemorrhage in 2020. It took me 3 years to realize I needed a support group, because nobody else understood. I also needed a psychologist, I was told everything was fine, but I wasn’t, it’s a process, and it takes determination. I think sometimes we get in a funk, but always remember tomorrow is a new day.

I do have headaches, they are worse in the summer, the heat seems to bring them on, as well as the bright sun.

Karen

3 Likes

I am proud of you for finding this group and joining – it took me almost 30 years to find the group! No one in our lives can truly identify with us. They try and their love is appreciated, but it is nice to have a peer group who relates. Thanks to ALL of you!

3 Likes

This group has helped me a lot, to be honest this passed week was 6 years since I had the BA. I look back at everything that I went through and one of my best friends told me that I am stronger than I give myself credit for. I think all of us who are in this group are so strong and to know that we are not alone helps us conquer everything that we’ve been through.

2 Likes

Welcome to the club Henry, congrats for living through something that most people don’t survive. Step one! Step2 is to stay positive, you can do this! The physical part was really hard for me, but it took me a while to get through the emotional part. We have to reinvent ourselves. So after my annie ruptured I went through all the physical therapy to learn to walk and move about. That was the hard part for me. I couldn’t walk either, I relearned walking, relearned how to think again, how to be productive both at home and outside. Got back to work, divorced my husband who wasn’t very supportive and joined a rock band. :wink: So it is safe to say thata I am recovered fully. I still have my moments but for the most part I am back to work, very independent and am thankful that I survived. So stay positive, you can make it through it all. Sending prayera and good thoughts your way! If you want to see me now go to ConnQuest performing How Do I Make You @ gratiot pub 6/18/23 (youtube.com)

Regards,

Connie

2 Likes

Hello that’s awesome you went back to work. If it’s ok with you can I ask what line of work? I have tried to go back to work 9 mos post craniotomy but my memory was not working and I get so tired easily so I was placed on disability.

3 Likes

I’m in sales, new business development I work with manufacturing. That was the hardest part remembering stuff so I write everything important down, review my notes and that helps a lot. Keep at it, work at retention. Some days are diamonds some are stones. Always get enough sleep that really help with memory too! Keep at it! :wink:

Constance

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I wish you well.
Jo

2 Likes

just watched your Youtube vid You are AWESOME!!!
Jo

2 Likes

Thank you glad you enjoyed it! :wink:

1 Like

HI, Henry I hope you are well I had a Ruptured Brain Aneurysm with 10 coils placed and had a terrible recovery ended up with bacterial meningitis and was on a vent for almost 2 weeks, ICU FOR A GOOD MONTH and had a VP Shunt placed, then a month of inpatient rehab, then it took a good 5-6 years for me to get back a mostly normal life. I was 41 when it happened. I finally at 9 years to the day of my aneurysm was able to go back to work full time doing what I love. I hope all is well for you. I did have angiogram every 6months then yearly to make sure all was good and I no longer have to have them. I just celebrated 10 years since my rupture and I am going on a cruise. let me know if I can help you in any way

3 Likes

Jo Santi
I wanted to write you my story about work I was denied disability I had 4 doctors who said I was 100% disabled but our state thought otherwise, Now that I am back to work I am thank full, But I was disappointed and pissed back then, LOL Here is my story.
I hope you are well I had a Ruptured Brain Aneurysm with 10 coils placed and had a terrible recovery ended up with bacterial meningitis and was on a vent for almost 2 weeks, ICU FOR A GOOD MONTH and had a VP Shunt placed, then a month of inpatient rehab, then it took a good 5-6 years for me to get back a mostly normal life. I was 41 when it happened. I finally at 9 years to the day of my aneurysm was able to go back to work full time doing what I love. I hope all is well for you. I did have angiogram every 6months then yearly to make sure all was good and I no longer have to have them. I just celebrated 10 years since my rupture and I am going on a cruise. let me know if I can help you in any way

1 Like

Hi there. That’s AWESOME! 10 years!!!
I am 1.5 yrs from my rupture and still recovering. I had craniotomy done. You give me a lot of hope for my future. I decided to retire now and will concentrate on my recovery and hopefully I can find something to do later on. I was a nurse and with my cognitive deficit I can’t risk making a mistake that will endanger a patient so for the meantime I just volunteer to my department. Grateful and thankful everyday.

4 Likes