My son's story

First of all, thank you for the warm welcome to the site, and for sharing so much information with people like me. I just posted this on my page, but thought I would share my son's story here briefly as well.

My 14 year-old son woke up one morning in February 2014 very unresponsive, unable to walk, slurred speech...my husband and I thought he had done drugs, it was so out of character for him. We rushed him to the ER in our van (with him stopping breathing at one point in the backseat), and they ran a CT scan just to rule out a brain injury since all of his vital signs and tests were good. Within 20 minutes, he was heading to the operating table with a brain hemorrhage to reduce the pressure on his brain. After a subsequent cerebral angiogram found an aneurysm, he went in for a second procedure and they discovered the small aneurysm on the angiogram was actually a large one that had ruptured and which they clipped. His recovery has been remarkable -- out of ICU in three days, and home on the 6th day -- and we are thankful and amazed each day that he is here with us. My concerns now are about the long-term prognosis...what happens now? Not a lot of information, and very scary territory.

This past month has been a whirlwind, and we are trying to catch our breath, regroup and get ready for whatever the future brings.

I think "kids" are more resilient to traumatic situations and rebound easier (not that's it's in any way easy, just easier than say an elderly patient). I think if he's done well so far, he'll continue to do so. Just give him lots of resting time, keep him from overdoing it but let him be active so he doesn't get bored or pent up in the house. With a clipping, it's a permanent fix. I seriously doubt there'll be any recurrence or issues going forward with that aneurysm. I think you need to find out if the clip prevents him from having future MRI tests though - I can't remember if that's still an issue or not. Mostly it's just making sure his brain has ample rest time to heal, and that you watch him for possible deficits (memory loss, concentration difficulties, a hard time with finding the correct words for things, and any physical disorientations or dizziness, things like this). Sometimes these things occur temporarily, sometimes permanently, sometimes not at all even. Just take it one day at a time, and don't rush through it. What a blessing you found him when you did and were able to get him treated so quickly! Please keep us updated on his continued progress. :)

It was a blessing...the doctor told us if his Dad had woken him up an hour later, it would have been a very different story.

Wow, thank you for sharing your story. It is scary; they release patients but don’t give them much info. Glad you found this group, I hope your son makes miracle progress and you find answers here. Again, thanks for sharing your story, it will help those of us with children wake up to the possibility of CT scans before they enter adulthood.