My personal story

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this group, having only joined yesterday. I also feel very new to the idea of having aneurysms. I had two coilings in late July. I've never had a headache in my life until the evening of July 28th when I was outside and the world started spinning around me. The headache set in though the spinning stopped almost immediately. As it turned out, I didn't go to the ER until the next morning when the headache persisted along with neck pain. Though I had no other neurological signs and the original CAT scan was negative, the ER folks did a spinal tap and found blood so they transferred me to one of the best hospitals here in Boston. I feel so fortunate to have had a wonderful skilled neurosurgeon who coiled the aneurysm that had "popped" (not much bleeding) and two days later, partially coiled an aneurysm located by the basilar artery. Both are on the left side of my brain. I also have a small aneurysm that is being watched, located on the right side of my brain.

On the whole, I am adjusting to my "new normal" and so grateful to be able to get back to my life in nearly all respects. Still and all, I have my challenges. The biggest challenge for me is the uncertainty in regard to the partial coiling by the basilar artery. This aneurysm had no bleeding, but the location, near the basilar artery, was risky to occlude completely at the time. My follow-up MRI contrast study that I had about a month ago showed that all is as good as it gets for now. I'll go back in December for another, then an angiography in March for a more in-depth look. The aneurysm may need further intervention. It's a "wait and see and closely monitor" situation. How hard to wonder if I'll be OK.

Of less concern, but yet another adjustment, is that I tire more easily. I'm naturally an energetic person who can move through the day doing a great deal. So this tiredness is unfamiliar and bothersome. Also, I still gets headaches which go away when I take Extra Strength Tylenol. I'm glad about that, but hate to take any medication so that is another adjustment. I try to limit the amount I take. My hearing is slightly impaired, either I don't hear softer voices very well or loud noises are magnified. I am told this will eventually resolve. Another "new normal" that has been hard is that living with my aneurysms is a worry for my children, my family and all my loved ones. I especially feel badly that my children have this to worry about. Whenever someone doesn't reach me right away, they think the worst. Sometimes I miss having more space...when I didn't feel pulled to get back to folks right away, but take my time!

All this pales in comparison to how bad it could have been for me!

Of course, I don't want to spend my life here and now in worry so I try to not dwell. Instead, I try to count my blessings and appreciate all the richness in my life as much as possible.

Thanks for "listening".

Judi

P.S. I posted this in a few areas as I wasn't yet sure how website works. Sorry about that!