My husband had 2 ruptured brain aneurysms last week he's 62 they put coils in. He still hasn't woke up. He's in ICU

Please I’m new to all this please please please pray for my husband Tony. He had 2 ruptured brain aneurysms last week and still has not woke up. Can anyone please tell me why he hasn’t woke up?

2 Likes

I’m sure someone with more insight than me will give you better advice, however I can certainly send prayers. The brain takes time to heal, and it does that best while at rest. So hopefully that’s what is happening right now. I’ve heard of many that spent a prolonged amount of time in the hospital in the same state as your husband, and they’ve gone on to a full recovery. A week is still very early after all he has experienced.

2 Likes

Tracy, I’m Moltroub, one of the Moderators here. I removed part of Tony’s name so people lurking on the internet couldn’t identify him. God knows who you’re asking prayers for and my prayers will definitely include the two of you. Being in NSICU isn’t easy for the patient but I think must be much harder for our loved ones. I learned that from BH and many caregivers here.

I only had one aneurysm which ruptured and I can tell you my head hurt a lot even after the coils were put in. I am told that BH and my family were told not to expect much if I did make it. I did wake up, just like Tony has. You mentioned his eyes open, he knows his name, he can squeeze your hand, has said “help” all of which are good things.

Tony sounds like he must be a fighter from all you’ve said and that’s a good thing. It also seems to me, God isn’t ready for him quite yet. I hold the belief that when it is our time to go, nothing can stop that; however, if our job isn’t done here on God’s green earth, we still have work to do.

I can share how insanely exhausting it is to be a patient in NeuroICU (NSICU). Those wonderful RNs are checking us every 15 minutes. There’s all the loud noises from the machines. The Doctors come in and shine their LED flashlights into eyes that pierce through and create more pain. The Heparin shots hurt like the dickens if the RN doesn’t put it straight in and instead has a slight angle to it (I learned that over the course of 26 days). The BP cuff is always at work and the oxygen monitor along with the IVs aren’t what we are used to. In hindsight, we realize that those things that help save our lives were but an inconvenience, though they don’t seem so at the time.

When we rupture, blood escapes the artery and goes to places our brain doesn’t like. Depending on location and how much blood can determine how much brain damage we encounter. I had a lot of blood that went to several different areas which is why BH was told not to expect much. The Residents told BH I probably wouldn’t wake up for awhile if I did wake up, that I may not be able to recognize anyone or speak, etc. I did, but I’ve had a long road in recovery. I couldn’t have recovered as much as I have without BH. It’s not easy and as Merl often says, this isn’t like a broken bone that’s healed in six months. Our neurotransmitters have to reroute themselves and that takes a lot of time, years, not months.

Be patient with yourself and him as well as his medical team. If you don’t understand what the Doctors or RNs are saying, don’t nod your head in agreement as they’ll think you do understand. Many times the medical team speaks in words that are not familiar to us, ask questions for clarification. The more you ask, the more you will understand. Keep a notepad handy or use your smartphone and jot down questions as you think of them. Take time away from Tony for yourself. Make sure to rest and eat as well.

Please keep us posted, we are here to help. Again, prayers for you, Tony and his medical team.

2 Likes

@Tracy, praying for Tony and you right now. :pray::orange_heart:

Thank you so much every prayer helps. I’m not too familiar with how this site works just I need to talk to people for support. I’m so lost

1 Like

You’re doing great! You’ve already figured out how to post a new topic and you can reply to it. BH reminded me there’s also a Caregivers support group you might want to join as well. Because I saw BH getting really ragged trying to work and come to the hospital I was flown to every day but two due to weather, I know how hard this can be for you. How are you doing?

Hi there. I’m doing is all I can say. This 8s such pure torture seeing him in this state. They did two procedures on him yesterday and angiogram and one to relieve the pressure off the brain. They put him back on the ventilator and sedation and that propohol the paralyzing drug. To me that’s a total set back. I’m a mess and it’s been almost 2 weeks since this happened and he still hasn’t woke up.

Thank you for writing and caring

1 Like

I ruptured in almost 10 years ago with two aneurysms. Treated with coils, stents. I did not regain consciousness for 9 days but even then wasn’t able to process much at all. I was in a large recovery room once I woke up and my husband said that I wondered why all of the people were in my bedroom. I think it took me 3 weeks to really understand where I was. Try not to worry. I know it’s easier said than done. My 10th anniversary of my “new” life is on December 16th. Hope for the best!

2 Likes

Thank you so much. The more from people I hear the better I feel.

1 Like

I was 61 when it happened. My recovery was slow. This brain support website was so helpful. Ask anything you want. People will respond to any questions you might have…and there will be lots of questions that your husband will have too. We’re here for you!

1 Like

Please know you are not alone! We are all right here with some very good people who have been in the same place as you! I feel you angst and confusion! Please know everthing is going to be alright. Take care of yourself! Remind yourself to eat and rest! Your husband is going to need your strength for support during his recovery! All my loving prayers for a speedy recover…one positive step at a time…

1 Like

It sounds like they may have put a shunt in to get the hydrocephalus under control, but I’m unsure. I know all these things seem like a set back but it’s the team’s efforts to keep Tony stabile and alive. The propofol is generally used during anesthesia to my knowledge but it wears off. My mom would be knocked out for a very long time, but I am quite the opposite. Is Tony getting it after his procedures? If you let us know which procedures he is having we can share our experience.

I imagine the angiogram was to check his rupture and see if blood was still getting into the aneurysm. Do you remember what the doctors said?

The first two weeks I was in NSICU, I had several CT scans every day it seems. One time, they forgot to do my scan and the transportation aide came to check on me and return me to NSICU. I had been there for several hours. He and the RN over that waiting corral got into it with her insisting I had been scanned. Apparently someone checked off my name and I had my CT in record time. Then the surgeon went to ultrasounds twice a day as I kept having vasospasms (21 days of them). The gel gets all over your hair, yuck!

It’s really hard to give a patient a hug whilst they’re connected to all the IVs and at the 30 degree angle, holding fingers is really, really helpful. Any positive touch helps. BH says it’s frustrating when all you can do is lightly hold fingers, but for me, it helped me to relax,

I pissed off the CNA they had when I told her to shut off the tv, the quick changing light and the noise hurt my brain. However, when they finally allowed me to use my phone, the RNs showed me how to use Pandora again and I was able to play some soft folk music which was really nice. It seemed to help my brain and it helped me to relax. Maybe it will help Tony and you as well.

Continued prayers

Hi there thank you for reaching out. I can use all the talking to and help I can get. It’s been 2 weeks since he had the aneurysms. The doctor called me this morning wanting to know what I wanted to do with him. Really?? They said he’s not coming out of it and is going to need 24 hour care with a feeding tube. Omg he would never want that. I’m lost. I’m just praying he 2akes up. This whole event is so foreign to me… Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you

1 Like

Hi there,

Well I have to meet with the neurosurgeons assistant today at 2. They are asking me what I want to do with him.

1 Like

Tracy,
First of all breathe. You’re going to be fine! Second, you should have a family meeting with the doctor. The questions to be asked are: What is the prognosis? Rehab hospital or hospice care? What were his wishes and how do you carry those out! Please make sure your family is with you! It’s important that you are all on the same page! I wish you strength on this very important journey. Peace and Love always…Tim

2 Likes

I totally agree with @Goldmountain. If you can have any other family members or a really close friend there with you, you won’t feel so all alone. By now however, you have met with the assistant who I imagine is one of the Residents. If Tony has an Advanced Care registered with the State of California, I imagine they will have to follow that. California does not have common law marriage, so do not sign anything with just your name. Sign your name and add the word “for” and then sign his name as you do not want to be financially responsible for any bills that accrue. In NC where I live, I was allowed to do that when I worked for children who were in the system as I signed for the Director of DSS. You may need to speak to an attorney on this as you certainly do not want a doctor or anyone ordering you to pay the costs of his care.

I realize this all sounds very harsh but you do need to protect yourself whilst dealing with Tony’s medical decisions. Hospital bills are extremely expensive and long term care facilities are as well. If he has insurance, they will use that but you may be responsible for the co-pays. An attorney is less expensive comparatively and can advise you on what will best protect you. I am on my soapbox for having wills, advanced directives, living wills etc. It is much easier for our partners or spouses if these are in order when stuff happens. Please contact an attorney. If Tony is a Veteran and has his DD214, you might want to reach out to the county VA officer as well. Loma Linda has a really good VA hospital, my brother was there for several months and the RNs were great back 20 years ago.

1 Like

Hi so last night my husband Tony still wouldn’t wake up. It’s been now 11 days. So this morning I get a call from the doctor and he said they had to do a angiogram for the Vasoplasma

I ruptured with SAH stroke and I didn’t “wake” up until about 3 weeks later. They coiled and put in a flow diverter. I don’t remember anything from the time “the headache” hit and I hit the floor. Not even going to the hospital where my patient portal says I was talking, alert and just complaining of a headache. An older doctor came in and ordered the CT then then life lined me to the nearest neuro-institute. Don’t remember that either. Thank goodness for patient portals or I wouldn’t know anything. Their final diagnosis was headache. BUT I will never forget how hard it had to be on my other half (and our dog). They were there every day through it all and through the rehab stay. Hang in there… it takes time. All my doctors told me it was a blessing that I “slept” through it.

2 Likes

Vasospasm is an issue with those of us who rupture. It sounds as if they did a CTA which is a Computed Tomography Angiography and not the angiogram used with a catheter through an artery which is what Tony had for his coils. It helps the surgeon determine which step he or she needs to take next. This can explain a CTA Computed Tomography (CT) Angiography (Angiogram).

So on Tuesday I and two friends met with the neurologists and staff to discuss Tony’s progress… They gave him eight more days to show some sign of improvement or they will 1) put a permanent feeding tube into him or 2) take the feeding tube out of his nose and make him comfortable for hospice. Neither one sound good to me. Tony’s strong and healthy besides what has happened to him in the past 2 weeks.??